locking a trike?

Old September 14th 04, 05:49 PM
Vixen2yall

Default locking a trike?

been watching this ng for a few weeks off n on. i'd like to watch it more
frequently but RL invades quite alot. seems to have very knowledgeable n
goodly peeps in here.

Anyway, i'm wondering how ya all lock up your trikes. i'm currently on a
greenspeed GTC 16/16. looking at the bike i'm thinking the best way to lock
the bike is using a chain type lock for the frame and two wire type locks
for the front and rear wheels. the wheels being mass easy to remove due to
the wheels only having one bolt holding them onto the drum breaks. (the way
a truck wheel fits over drum breaks, but only 1 bolt instead of 5.) so the
wheels have got to be locked to the frame. i don't want to remove the wheels
because then the break pads are resting on the ground and i don't want to
carry three wheels. (rear wheel does not have a break but holds two gear
boxes, one internal and one external and i don't want to carry it either.)

the wheel cable locks aren't really an issue, i've kinda already desided on
the ones i'll purchase. however the frame lock is in question. i've looked
at the kryptonites they have out on the market and they look promicing
except on the weight. i don't think a U lock is going to work on this type
of bike due to not having a frame that has a triangle in which to thread the
U through, (does that make sense?) there are triangles on the frame but they
are so far into the inside of the bike that i don't think a U lock will
work... a GS has just all kinds of sticky-outty parts all over it and none
of then can you use to lock it up w/. but the NY chain lock weighs in at
over 6 pounds and then there is the question of will it'll be long enough?

so those of you that know what i'm discribing here, or those that have a
greenspeed, how do you over come this tiny little delema? buy a 6 pound lock
that might not reach? pay 160 for two and carry 12 pounds??? (oh please
don't say that's what i'll end up doing. i'm already vertically challenged n
don't need to add to the problem.)

thank ya kindly folks for any help.

cheers
kat

Old September 15th 04, 09:30 AM
Ian Smith

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:49:18 GMT, Vixen2yall wrote:

so those of you that know what i'm discribing here, or those that have a
greenspeed, how do you over come this tiny little delema? buy a 6 pound lock
that might not reach? pay 160 for two and carry 12 pounds??? (oh please
don't say that's what i'll end up doing. i'm already vertically challenged n
don't need to add to the problem.)

Personally, have a heavy lock at each end of my normal journey (I
commute to work on a trike), then carry a cable lock in my pannier and
never let the trike out of my sight if I go anywhere else. If I go
somehwere that's not feasible, I take a more 'normal' bike.

Regarding locking up, I'm not sure of teh layout of your trike, but on
my trice a U-lock fits around the main cross in the frame. That is,
the frame has teh main forward/backward tube, and then a cross tube
with the front wheels at each end. The cross-over point is just in
front of the seat, so you can position the trike against a vertical
pole with teh pole in that corner - so now there are three mutually
perpendicular tubes, and a relatively short D-lock (I use a heavy
Abus) will fit round all three tubes.

At work, where the trike lives within sight of the passing general
public all day, I also use another D-lock through the rear triangle
and back wheel. I don't bother about the front wheels, but I figure
there's practically no demand for 20" wheels on asymmetric disk hubs,
and most people won't know the knack of getting a trice wheel off so
will struggle to do so anyway. It helps my peace-of-mind as well to
know that it's locked up alongside half-a-dozen other bikes, one or
two of which are decent mountain bikes that are a lot more nickable
and sellable (and no better locked).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old September 15th 04, 04:18 PM
Vixen2yall

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:49:18 GMT, Vixen2yall wrote:

so those of you that know what i'm discribing here, or those that have

greenspeed, how do you over come this tiny little delema? buy a 6 pound

lock
that might not reach? pay 160 for two and carry 12 pounds??? (oh please
don't say that's what i'll end up doing. i'm already vertically

challenged n
don't need to add to the problem.)

Personally, have a heavy lock at each end of my normal journey (I
commute to work on a trike), then carry a cable lock in my pannier and
never let the trike out of my sight if I go anywhere else. If I go
somehwere that's not feasible, I take a more 'normal' bike.

thanks for your posty, i'm going to have to figure something out for her but
whatever i do figure out i'll have to carry as i don't have an end
destination in which to store another lock. might just have to deal w/ the
extra weight which really isn't all that much of a concern for me.

and unfortunetly this is the only bike i have with me at the moment. so i
gotta think of something.

Regarding locking up, I'm not sure of teh layout of your trike, but on
my trice a U-lock fits around the main cross in the frame. That is,
the frame has teh main forward/backward tube, and then a cross tube
with the front wheels at each end. The cross-over point is just in
front of the seat, so you can position the trike against a vertical
pole with teh pole in that corner - so now there are three mutually
perpendicular tubes, and a relatively short D-lock (I use a heavy
Abus) will fit round all three tubes.

yeah that sounds like it might work. i'll have to look at her underside
though as i also have an S&S coupling in the frame. don't want that to be
unhitched and have the lock just slide off.

At work, where the trike lives within sight of the passing general
public all day, I also use another D-lock through the rear triangle
and back wheel. I don't bother about the front wheels, but I figure
there's practically no demand for 20" wheels on asymmetric disk hubs,
and most people won't know the knack of getting a trice wheel off so
will struggle to do so anyway. It helps my peace-of-mind as well to
know that it's locked up alongside half-a-dozen other bikes, one or
two of which are decent mountain bikes that are a lot more nickable
and sellable (and no better locked).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

thanks for the post again, i think what i may end up doing is just taking
the bike into a LBS and see if the shop keeper can help me w/ some form of
setup. i spent way too much money on her to loose her from just going to the
store. she'll look rediculus w/ all kinds of wires hanging all over her but
i don't want to loose her.

cheers
kat

Old September 16th 04, 06:42 AM
bil e goat

Vixen2yall wrote:
so those of you that know what i'm discribing here, or those that have a
greenspeed, how do you over come this tiny little delema? buy a 6 pound lock
that might not reach? pay 160 for two and carry 12 pounds??? (oh please
don't say that's what i'll end up doing. i'm already vertically challenged n
don't need to add to the problem.)

thank ya kindly folks for any help.

I made a device.
go to a hardware store and ask for wire rope.
get @ 10 ft. or 3+ meters of a small type, 1/4 in ?
get 'ferrules' that crimp on to the rope ends
put a loop on each end of the rope.
any lock can be used to secure the end
loops after it is threaded through
the trike.
You can also get a Large BBQ cover for it.
Cheap and lite.

bil

Old September 16th 04, 04:25 PM
Vixen2yall

"bil e goat" wrote in message

Vixen2yall wrote:
so those of you that know what i'm discribing here, or those that have a
greenspeed, how do you over come this tiny little delema? buy a 6 pound

lock
that might not reach? pay 160 for two and carry 12 pounds??? (oh please
don't say that's what i'll end up doing. i'm already vertically

challenged n
don't need to add to the problem.)

thank ya kindly folks for any help.

I made a device.
go to a hardware store and ask for wire rope.
get @ 10 ft. or 3+ meters of a small type, 1/4 in ?
get 'ferrules' that crimp on to the rope ends
put a loop on each end of the rope.
any lock can be used to secure the end
loops after it is threaded through
the trike.
You can also get a Large BBQ cover for it.
Cheap and lite.

bil

BBQ cover, BBQ cover... scuse me for stupidity but... what's the BBQ cover
for? heh i just can't seem to see why i would need a BBQ cover.

cheers n thanks for the ideas
kat

Old September 17th 04, 06:06 AM
bil stil

Vixen2yall wrote:

BBQ cover, BBQ cover... scuse me for stupidity but... what's the BBQ cover
for? heh i just can't seem to see why i would need a BBQ cover.

A barbecue cover can be used to cover your trike
the tires and seats don't like sunlight and it's
one more thing to slow a thief down, eh?

I keep my Trice XL in the garage.
But b4 I moved here I had to store it outside.
The cover came in handy and collected a LOT
of dust.
My wife says it came from 'Barbecues Galore'
in Sunnyvale Ca. US of A

bil

Old September 17th 04, 12:46 PM
Jon Meinecke

"bil e goat" wrote

I made a device.
go to a hardware store and ask for wire rope.
get @ 10 ft. or 3+ meters of a small type, 1/4 in ?

So the would-be thief goes to the hardware store
and buys the tool they used to cut your cable
to length! %^)

Actually, cables designed for securing equipment
are available with loops already attached. Some
cables have a braided exterior sheath that makes
them somewhat more resistant to cutting. I use
a cable with integrated combination lock as the
keep-honest-people-honest lock for my bike...
These sell for US$15 and up.

Jon Meinecke

Old September 17th 04, 04:21 PM
Vixen2yall

"bil stil" wrote in message

Vixen2yall wrote:

BBQ cover, BBQ cover... scuse me for stupidity but... what's the BBQ

cover
for? heh i just can't seem to see why i would need a BBQ cover.

A barbecue cover can be used to cover your trike
the tires and seats don't like sunlight and it's
one more thing to slow a thief down, eh?

I keep my Trice XL in the garage.
But b4 I moved here I had to store it outside.
The cover came in handy and collected a LOT
of dust.
My wife says it came from 'Barbecues Galore'
in Sunnyvale Ca. US of A

bil

OHHHHHH ok i get it... i keep sheila in the garage so i won't need to do
that but thanks for the idea. (yes i name my bikes)

cheers
kat

Old September 18th 04, 02:10 AM
bil stil

Vixen2yall wrote:
OHHHHHH ok i get it... i keep sheila in the garage so i won't need to do
that but thanks for the idea. (yes i name my bikes)

cheers
kat

I call mine names too...
@#$%^& *()_

Old September 18th 04, 02:51 AM
stil bil

Jon Meinecke wrote:
So the would-be thief goes to the hardware store
and buys the tool they used to cut your cable
to length! %^)

Too true, thus the suggestion of a cover.

Actually, cables designed for securing equipment
are available with loops already attached. Some
cables have a braided exterior sheath that makes
them somewhat more resistant to cutting. I use
a cable with integrated combination lock as the
keep-honest-people-honest lock for my bike...
These sell for US$15 and up.

Yes.
I have those too, and they are VERY heavy.
I do like the ones w/ sheathing, formidable.
Get an attack trained doggy and tell it to
guard your trike. Now that's formidable.

bil