When did freewheels become "standard"

Old January 3rd 05, 02:07 PM

Default When did freewheels become "standard"

I saw a recent movie set in the 1920's, and I noticed that
the postman rode a single speed with a freewheel. Were
freewheels used in the 1920's?
Old January 4th 05, 03:37 AM
Tom Sherman

Werehatrack wrote:

If you mean a feature allowing the rider to coast without pedalling,
yes, though I can't say if it's the same as the modern screw-on
freewheel....

I would hardly call freewheels modern - it has been years since high end
bikes went to cassettes/freehubs.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 4th 05, 07:51 AM
A Muzi

Tom Sherman wrote:
I would hardly call freewheels modern - it has been years since high end
bikes went to cassettes/freehubs.

OK.
But the bulk of new bikes ( Fury and their ilk) aren't
cassette because freewheels are still cheaper.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 4th 05, 02:45 PM
Werehatrack

Tom Sherman wrote:
I would hardly call freewheels modern - it has been years since high end
bikes went to cassettes/freehubs.

OK.
But the bulk of new bikes ( Fury and their ilk) aren't
cassette because freewheels are still cheaper.

And the "modern" appellation was used in this context because there
clearly were predecessors that would not have been compatible with the
more modern standard threaded hub.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 5th 05, 08:53 AM
meb

Tom Sherman Wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

If you mean a feature allowing the rider to coast without pedalling,
yes, though I can't say if it's the same as the modern screw-on
freewheel....

I would hardly call freewheels modern - it has been years since high
end
bikes went to cassettes/freehubs.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

So there are no high end bmx bikes?

--
meb

Old January 5th 05, 09:46 AM
A Muzi

meb wrote:
So there are no high end bmx bikes?

As road bikes, many premium 20-inch use Profile (9t!!)
cassettes now.

You make a good point but it isn't categorical.
In fact, all kinds of cycles use both systems.

I think WTrack may have meant "I'm not sure if they have
always been this thread format" when he qualified with
'modern' and Tom went on from there.

Old January 5th 05, 04:58 PM
Mark Janeba

meb wrote:
Tom Sherman Wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

If you mean a feature allowing the rider to coast without pedalling,
yes, though I can't say if it's the same as the modern screw-on
freewheel....

I would hardly call freewheels modern - it has been years since high
end
bikes went to cassettes/freehubs.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island