Clipless pedals

Old September 18th 05, 04:27 PM
Antonio

Default Clipless pedals

I would like to find about the various models, pro and con .thanks

Old September 18th 05, 05:55 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article 3IfXe.509297$5V4.15362@pd7tw3no,
"Antonio" wrote:

I would like to find about the various models, pro and con .thanks

There's about eighty gajillion different models out there. Here's a very
brief look at some of the most popular:

SPD: Shimano's main pedal system. Walkable cleats, the cheap and
knock-off versions are very cheap indeed. Mediocre clearance of mud and
foreign objects compared to other systems. Widely available

SPD-R: obsolete non-walkable system. Avoid unless it's really cheap.

Crank Brothers Egg Beaters: a really, really clever rethinking of
pedals. Light, simple, excellent mud clearance, walkable cleats, more
expensive than cheap SPDs but not outrageous. Lots of people like these
for all uses.

Look/SPD-SL/Campy Pro-fit: grouped together because these systems are
all pretty similar. Looks are the oldest standard for pedals, and
probably second in popularity after normal SPDs. All three offer really
large cleat platforms, which adherents argue makes for a more
comfortable experience, free of "hot-spots" attributed to some
small-cleat systems, at least when used with flexible-sole shoes. SPD-SL
and Pro-fit are Shimano and Campagnolo reinterpretations of the same
idea. Good pedal retention, not really suitable for mountain biking
(though some might differ), and not walkable, but there you go.

Everything else: various specialized pedal systems that often offer real
benefits for people who prefer their particular specific advantages. But
if you're just starting out with clipless, and aren't getting a deal on
one model or another, and don't already know that you have specific
ergonomic needs (high float, no float, low stack height) I'd stick with
the above systems.

In my opinion? Well, I ride primarily on the road, and I race
competitively and win using very unstylish and heavy two-sided SPD
pedals. I commute using the same things. If I was starting from scratch,
I might convert over to the Crank Bros system, which looks really
elegant, but I don't think the advantages are enough for me to replace
my four or five sets of pedals and two sets of cleats.

For most riders, I think walkability is a real advantage, even if it
only means your trips to the bathroom are less perilous, and that you
can sanely ride your bike to a grocery store.

Old September 18th 05, 07:44 PM
Brian Walker

"Antonio" wrote in message
I would like to find about the various models, pro and con .thanks

If you're just starting out with clipless pedals, it would probably be best
to either go with an SPD or Eggbeater type. Many of the others offer
advantages, but mostly for the riders who stay clipped most of their time.

As has been discussed before, there are huge amounts of pedals on the
market. The different styles and models would mostly depend on the riding
you plan to do.

Advice: Go with either a Shimano or Crank Brothers brand of pedal. Going
with a Look or an off-brand would more than likely not be what you're
looking for starting out with the pedals. Avoid the models that has one side
a flat pedal and the other a clipless pedal. Unless you're planning on doing
quite a bit of time wearing regular shoes, they're more hassle than they're
worth. It's best to look for a pedal which is ambidextrous (one that uses
both or all sides of the pedal and not just one side).

Brian

Old September 18th 05, 08:32 PM
mark

"Brian Walker" wrote ...

[...]

My Eggbeaters are extremely nice. All the retention I need, and very easy to
twist out of. They're also designed to be relubed from time to time, and are
apparently fairly easy to rebuild. Both of these factors compensate for the
high initial cost, IMO.

I like the concept of a pedal that is flat on one side and clipless on the
other, but I really didn't feel like I derived that much benefit from the
design when I had them. Riding clipless pedals for a mile or so in street
shoes isn't the greatest way to go, but it won't hurt anything, either. The
only advantage I saw in this desgn is that I had a place to attach pedal
reflectors.
--
mark

Old September 18th 05, 08:58 PM
Rich

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

"Antonio" wrote:
I would like to find about the various models, pro and con .thanks

There's about eighty gajillion different models out there. Here's a very
brief look at some of the most popular:

Thanks for the very concise and informative writeup.

Rich
Old September 18th 05, 09:39 PM
shuna

Clipless Explained

First of all, and most importantly, clipless pedals are not clipless.
They require cleats and special shoes that you use to "clip in" to the
pedal. In a way, you become one with your bike. Read more at
http://www.epinions.com/content_195136753284, scroll down page. The
information is on the left side of page.

B.J. at http://tinyurl.com/cq4q2

Old September 18th 05, 10:14 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

On my road tourer I have the Cook Bros. "eggbeater" basic model paired
up with Lake's CX115 "touring" shoe and I find this to be the best
combination I have yet experienced in my 33 years of riding.

The cleat engages without thought and the shoes are 150% walkable, with
about 2-3 mm clearence between the cleat and the floor. I believe Lake
has changed the model number for this year's model, look for the
keywords "touring" and "walkable".

My MTB still has it's Sh. M424 beartrap w/SPD insert pedals. I'm running
those with an old pair of Specialized "Sport" shoes, as cleat clearance
is not so much a factor on dirt.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old September 18th 05, 10:17 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Excelent, comprehensive review, Ryan. :-3)

- -

Old September 18th 05, 10:21 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Default Clipless pedals (semi OT)

Just how does one "clip into" a "clip_less_" pedal, anyways?

I always thought they shouls be called "strapless" or "snap-in" or
something like that.

JMH2¢O...

- -

Old September 18th 05, 11:04 PM
Rich

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

The cleat engages without thought and the shoes are 150% walkable

Only 150%? Not 200% or 5000%

If they're not 5000% walkable, then they're just no good.