Test riding mountain bike ?

Old October 8th 04, 02:07 PM
Bengt-Olaf Schneider

Default Test riding mountain bike ?

I am thinking of purchasing a mountain bike. While I know my way
around road bikes, I am fairly ignorant about mountain bikes.

I will visit the LBS this weekend for some exploratory shopping. One
thing I'm uncertain about is how to testride mountain bikes. What
should I watch out for when riding around the parking lot ? (I am
fairly certain that they won't let me take the bike on a trail.) Are
there significant differences between mountain bikes and road bikes
with regards to bike fit ?

Thanks for all the advice you may have.

Bengt-Olaf.
Old October 8th 04, 04:59 PM
Bill Sornson

Bengt-Olaf Schneider wrote:
I am thinking of purchasing a mountain bike. While I know my way
around road bikes, I am fairly ignorant about mountain bikes.

I will visit the LBS this weekend for some exploratory shopping. One
thing I'm uncertain about is how to testride mountain bikes. What
should I watch out for when riding around the parking lot ? (I am
fairly certain that they won't let me take the bike on a trail.) Are
there significant differences between mountain bikes and road bikes
with regards to bike fit ?

Thanks for all the advice you may have.

I'm no expert, but I'd say the fact that you're an experienced roadie will
help you. The saddle height/position is basically the same, which then
leads to proper reach -- all of which generally translate into "comfort" on
the bike. Does it feel right? Or /almost/ right?

Also, I have found bikes in shops to be in widely varying states of
"tune-ness", and that can really affect one's impression of the model. If
the shifting or braking is not set up right, it's hard to like the ride!

Suspension set-up is vital, of course, so have the shop check/adjust things
for your weight before test riding.

Finally, the level of components, quality of the wheels (hubs, rims, tires),
and even paint job are all important, so use those to fine-tune your choices
as decision-time gets closer. Buy something that excites you!

Bill "now I'm jealous, dammit" S.

Old October 8th 04, 10:46 PM
Bengt-Olaf Schneider

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message ...
Bengt-Olaf Schneider wrote:
[...]

My particular concern was how to tell the differences between
different suspensions, when all I have is 2 potholes and a curb.

Thanks for the encouragement. If I wasn't excited about this, I
wouldn't even think to spend that much money. (And why would you be
jealous of me, apparently you already have a mtn bike ... but I'll
have a newer one soon :-P )

Bengt-Olaf.
Old October 8th 04, 11:19 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

I'm no expert either, but one thing I have learned through experience,
is suitability.

When I moved to South Carolina from South California, it didn't take me
long to realize that my MTB, which was perfectly adequate for one coast,
was horribly inadequate for the other.

In addition to scoping out bikes, I would recommend you also scope out
the trails you intend to ride!

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"