Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen

Old September 16th 04, 04:00 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:50:27 -0400, , Frank
Krygowski wrote:

The website I looked at warned that it might possibly make the lock
inoperable.

Those of you who tried this - do your keys still work?

Yep.
But you can't unlock it with a pen and then re lock it with the key.
--
zk
Old September 16th 04, 04:10 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Krygowski wrote:

The website I looked at warned that it might possibly make the lock
inoperable.

Those of you who tried this - do your keys still work?

Yep.
But you can't unlock it with a pen and then re lock it with the key.

.... unless you file the little metal nub off one of your keys. The key
will then still work, it will just become possible to insert it the wrong
way.

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover
Old September 16th 04, 04:18 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:22:12 -0700, ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

I just successfully picked a MEC NYC lock, and then a PlanetBike "extra
guard" lock. It was easy once I got an appropriate pen, and turned it in
the proper direction.

Frightfully easy even.

\snip bit about ACE II
I'm sure that at worst, this would make it more difficult. I'd like to try
one, though.

You're welcome to have at this Norco BikeGuard 5 that has thus far
defied repeated attempts with a couple different pens.

Be warned, I've never actually seen this lock opened so it's possible
that the mechanism is seized. The NCY I've used everyday since buying
it in Sept. 2000.
--
zk
Old September 16th 04, 08:01 AM
remove the polite word to reply

so all these xpnsv u-locks aren't safe, what IS?
Old September 16th 04, 08:08 AM
Zoot Katz

16 Sep 2004 00:01:10 -0700,
,
(remove the polite word to reply) wrote:

so all these xpnsv u-locks aren't safe, what IS?

Safer:
http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/...chain-lock.jpg
--
zk
Old September 16th 04, 08:19 PM
Chalo

Zoot Katz wrote:

(remove the polite word to reply) wrote:

so all these xpnsv u-locks aren't safe, what IS?

Safer:
http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/...chain-lock.jpg

I have an ABUS Manhattan U-lock from Germany. It uses a flat key and
has a little baffle in front of the keyhole to prevent drilling out
the cylinder, which also interferes with the ability to pick it (at
least, it interferes with _my_ ability to pick it!)

To my knowledge, all ABUS locks use a flat key.

Chalo Colina
Old September 16th 04, 10:55 PM
ajthomas

This technique is applicable to more than just bike locks. A friend
showed me the video circulating online earlier today. I grabbed a BIC
pen and headed to my laptop, where I was able to unlock the cable
securing it to my desk in less than 10 seconds. That made me feel
real secure. The cable is even an expensive model with kevlar in the
cable and is supposed to be impossible to cut. I guess I'll be buying
another cable--one with a combination.

(mamid) wrote in message . com...
Posting from Google, so I'm a few hours behind, forgive me if this has
already been posted.

There is a video clip posted at
www.bikeforums.net showing a
Kryptonite U-lock being opened with a cheap pen.

Scary.

Old September 16th 04, 11:01 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Zoot Katz wrote:

(remove the polite word to reply) wrote:

so all these xpnsv u-locks aren't safe, what IS?

Safer:
http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/...chain-lock.jpg

I have an ABUS Manhattan U-lock from Germany. It uses a flat key and
has a little baffle in front of the keyhole to prevent drilling out
the cylinder, which also interferes with the ability to pick it (at
least, it interferes with _my_ ability to pick it!)

To my knowledge, all ABUS locks use a flat key.

It appears so on their web site. Perhaps now would be a good time to
purchase some ABUS stocks

Old September 18th 04, 05:23 AM
Mark

Mark wrote:
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

wrote:

Is this the lock you just picked (I did not see the a "NYC lock" in

MEC)

http://tinyurl.com/7ybna

No, that's not one of the ones that I picked, although I would be
somewhat
surprised if it didn't work on this one as well. MEC no longer
appears to
carry the NYC lock that I have.

That's a fairly pricey lock, so I'd definitely consider returning it

just
in case, or at least trying the pen trick yourself.

Thanks for the reply, I will try to pick this lock tonight.

Answering own post here....

I was just at MEC Vancouver and they have pulled all their locks from
the shelves. After about 5-7 mins of talking with a couple of sales
reps, they are unsure as what path they are going to take. The
impression I got is that MEC is going to leave it up to the manufacturer
to deal with the problem. In the meantime I have a $100.00 plus
paperweight...

Does anyone have any ideas as to a reasonably secure method of locking
up their bikes now. I was thinking of going to a local cable supply
place and getting a length of 3/8 or 7/16 inch thick cable, having loops
bent in and bolted then welded closed on the ends. Once this is done,
covering it with heat shrink tubing and securing it with a heavy duty
padlock from Home Depot.
I know it will be heavy, however it is cheaper then replacing the bike.

I was shopping around for a new road bike ($1000.00), but I will wait to
purchase until I can get a decent lock for it. It would be too painful
to shell out the $$ and then have it stolen...

EPO and Cutoff Point Churchill General 5 July 3rd 04 10:13 PM
Noob Question: Valve Stem Lock Nuts xkred27 General 8 March 14th 04 02:49 PM