a new kind of bike failure

Old October 4th 04, 09:19 AM
Chalo

Default a new kind of bike failure

i was applying heavy braking to my bike today, when the downtube
buckled with a distinct 'crack'. the tire met the downtube, and i was
tossed over the bars. both my arms were broken, so please forgive my
abbreviated typing method.

since i have not yet contacted the manufacturer of the frame to
discuss the warranty or anything else, i'll withold the identity of
the makes involved except to say that the frame and parts were
relatively new and had been used for only a few hundred miles, and
that I trusted them pretty well until the time of the failure.

it was a touring frame with a single crown suspension fork [steel
steerer] and a disc front brake.

i have never seen a failure of this sort before. the downtube is
creased perpendicularly to the tube's length maybe 25cm back from the
lower headset race, and arched upwards.

chalo
Old October 4th 04, 03:02 PM
Claire Petersky

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
both my arms were broken,

Nasty! I hope you have a quick recovery. There's some herbal remedies for
the quick healing of broken bones, you should look into them. Time for you
to take the bus down to Tensing Momo's.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 4th 04, 03:11 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:19:20 -0700, Chalo wrote:

i was applying heavy braking to my bike today, when the downtube buckled
with a distinct 'crack'. the tire met the downtube, and i was tossed over
the bars. both my arms were broken, so please forgive my abbreviated
typing method.

Sorry to hear that you're injured. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 4th 04, 03:16 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:19:20 -0700, Chalo wrote:

it was a touring frame with a single crown suspension fork [steel steerer]
and a disc front brake.

i have never seen a failure of this sort before. the downtube is creased
perpendicularly to the tube's length maybe 25cm back from the lower
headset race, and arched upwards.

I*broke a frame like this once, when I was a stupid kid and jumped too
many curbs. But I've never heard of such a break except after a front-end
impact. The location, as Mark mentions, is classic for a butted tube, and
is one of the places where frames also suffer fatigue failures.

Did the front brake tend to chatter a lot? Had you had some impact
earlier on?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
_`\(,_ | conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw

Old October 4th 04, 03:30 PM
Richard Tack

Chalo wrote:
[...]

Is it a steel or alloy bike?