Newbie question Trainers

Old October 7th 04, 07:29 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:51:02 -0400, ,
"Roger Zoul" wrote:

That sounds like a typical stationary bike. Why the use of the word "spin"?

Why? tsk tsk tsk Spinning ® is "The ultimate ride for body and mind".
Besides we can't keep selling the SOS every year so we have to spin it
differently. Spinning ® requires special licensed gloves and shorts
and hats and sweat bands and you've got to get the tapes and videos
and check out the awesome eight-week weight loss program and go to the
meetings so maybe you too can qualify to become a certified Spinning ®
instructor.

http://www.spinning.com/
--
zk
Old October 7th 04, 08:58 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:51:02 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

That sounds like a typical stationary bike. Why the use of the word "spin"?

The primary difference is that you can set up a spin bike the same as
a regular road bike. Standard bike seat, SPD pedals, same position.
The advantage if you have more than one using the bike is that they
are designed for spin classes, which means that you can set it up for
each rider and then quickly put it back at that rider's settings.

All other types of stationery bikes had all or some of the following:
non-standard handlebar positions, non-standard (and cheap) pedal
systems, fat and flat bike seats, difficult to change position.

We have the mag trainers in the garage where there is more room. On
some days, though, it is too cold to use for a quick and easy 20-30
minutes. So we spent a bit and got a bike that lets either of us get
on and ride the bike in a standard position late at night.

I notice that the spinning label seems to bother some - can't worry
about people that make the trivial a major issue in their life.

FWIW, I've since found that they aren't that loud, although not as
quiet as the mag trainer. Surprising, since they use a pressure brake
on the fly wheel for resistance - I would have expected more noise.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old October 7th 04, 10:57 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:58:08 -0400,
, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:

I notice that the spinning label seems to bother some - can't worry
about people that make the trivial a major issue in their life.

You mean the Spinning ® label.
It's like Starbucks trademarking "christmas blend".
A trivial issue, indeed, when we have to buy back our language from
multi-national corporations.
--
zk
Old October 9th 04, 05:11 PM
Mike Kruger

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
, Curtis L. Russell

I notice that the spinning label seems to bother some - can't worry
about people that make the trivial a major issue in their life.

You mean the Spinning ® label.
It's like Starbucks trademarking "christmas blend".
A trivial issue, indeed, when we have to buy back our language from
multi-national corporations.

I'm going to xerox your e-mail and fed-ex it to my congressman to see if he
can come up with some band-aid solution.

(my point: the language goes both ways)

Old October 9th 04, 09:43 PM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:11:48 -0500,
1097338456.H6WwuI3GJc9MPbK9RnxIeQ@teranews, "Mike Kruger"
wrote:

I notice that the spinning label seems to bother some - can't worry
about people that make the trivial a major issue in their life.

You mean the Spinning ® label.
It's like Starbucks trademarking "christmas blend".
A trivial issue, indeed, when we have to buy back our language from
multi-national corporations.

I'm going to xerox your e-mail and fed-ex it to my congressman to see if he
can come up with some band-aid solution.

(my point: the language goes both ways)

Photocopies these days are made on machines other than Xerox. That
word didn't exist in our language until Xerox paid people to invent
it. Xerox would be entitled because they invented the word, the same
as Kleenex, Windex or Spam. Those words have entered the vernacular
and have become useful. Their use outside the vernacular remains
tightly constrained by trademark laws.

It's a different situation when somebody appropriates and trademarks
words like "spinning" or "entrepreneur". Words that were already in
our language. "You're fired" and "fair and balanced" are trademarked.
As is "the brilliance of common sense", words and phrases that have
meaning beyond the trademark owners' limited application.

Phrases such as "mickey mouse", "breakfast of champions" or "heartbeat
of america" have been painted into a corner by advertising and
marketing by mass media for a consumer culture and then held ransom by
the trademarks owners' and their fleet of lawyers. - - - hired with
the royalties paid, for using our own language. It's ludicrous.

It's a different situation again when we adopt acronyms such as LASER
and RADAR. No one, AFAIK, is required to pay licensing fees to use
those words for describing their product that performs those
functions. Unlike Unix.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this but it seems to be already be a
given that yours or mine DNA can be copyrighted by someone else.
--
zk