Selling my US bike while in Europe/UK

Old October 7th 04, 07:02 PM
Matt O'Toole

Default Selling my US bike while in Europe/UK

How easy is it for a travelling American to sell a bike Europe/UK? I may take a
cycling trip to the UK and France next spring. Since I'll be living out of a
suitcase for the following 2-3 months, it might be easier/cheaper to just sell
the bike there instead of shipping it home. I'm also thinking that I may get a
better price over there, especially at the beginning of summer.

Any thoughts? Any problems with customs, etc., bringing a bike in, and not
taking it out again (particularly in France)?

Matt O.

Old October 7th 04, 10:39 PM
George Farnsworth

For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking
bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on
rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads around the world and
how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

If you pick the right airline your bike can go both ways as regular checked
baggage without any fees.

See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

Old October 7th 04, 10:51 PM
Matt O'Toole

George Farnsworth wrote:

For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences
taking bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of
stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads
around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

Great website George. Keep up the good work!

If you pick the right airline your bike can go both ways as regular
checked baggage without any fees.

But I'm not going both ways!

Matt O.

Old October 8th 04, 04:55 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences
taking bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of
stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads
around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

Great website George. Keep up the good work!

If you pick the right airline your bike can go both ways as regular
checked baggage without any fees.

But I'm not going both ways!

Matt O.

Matt: I'm confused; how are you getting back? Or you're not coming back?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 9th 04, 01:57 AM
mgagnonlv

Mike Jacoubowsky Wrote:
For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences
taking bikes on planes, trains, buses, boats, etc. There's lots of
stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads
around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

Great website George. Keep up the good work!

If you pick the right airline your bike can go both ways as regular
checked baggage without any fees.

But I'm not going both ways!

Matt O.

Matt: I'm confused; how are you getting back? Or you're not coming
back?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I don't know how is the market, but I would count on a substantial
loss. It's true that -American- (and probably Japanese) bikes are much
more expensive in Europe than they are in U.S., but there are a lot of
very good Audax and touring bikes in Europe, especially in France and
U.K. So unless the prospective buyer really wants a Trek, you are
competing with very good local brands.

I have heard of people who sleep their first or last night in a hotel
near the airport and who get free storage of their bike case for the
duration of their trip. Would the same trick work for a whole bicycle?
Or would it work for a modest fee?

--
mgagnonlv