Turning...one foot riding

Old April 26th 04, 08:03 PM
Memphis Mud

Default Turning...one foot riding

I'm having tons of trouble turning left while 1 foot riding right foot
down. I call it "turning across" the ride.

Right foot riding and turning right is smooth. (I'm not great at it. Its
just smoother)

Right foot riding and turning left is jerky with arms everywhere and
typically resulting in UPD.

What is going on here?

I can't speak for left foot down, because I can't do it yet. But I
suspect that "turning across" that ride will be similar.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old April 26th 04, 08:19 PM
johnfoss

Memphis Mud wrote:
*What is going on here? *

Sounds like you are in need of more practice. Work on smoothing out the
pedal stroke. Though your riding position is not symmetrical, it should
be possible to turn in any direction you want. Just tell your body to
obey you!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

Old April 26th 04, 08:37 PM
gpickett00

to practice one foot riding, do tight, S's down the road. not big ones.
just swerve. then eventually you will be able to do a really wide U turn
and you will make the U turn tighter as you ride more

--
gpickett00 - Level 3.7

Bicycle is just a short way of saying unicycle with a training wheel.
'Our unicycling videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Moiv)

gpickett00's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5654

Old April 26th 04, 09:02 PM
Memphis Mud

gpickett00 wrote:
*to practice one foot riding, do tight, S's down the road. not big
ones. just swerve. then eventually you will be able to do a really
wide U turn and you will make the U turn tighter as you ride more. in
my 'gallery of 3 video's' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Moiv) i have
one titiled one foot riding. *

I have no problem taking advice from a guy with a cast on his arm. He's
obviously worked out the kinks.

Old April 26th 04, 10:08 PM
U-Turn

For me 1-f turning is mostly in the shoulders. Try turning your
shoulders (and looking) in the direction you want to go.

Also, for "turning across" it has helped me to think about my foot
circles and make them full and round. I especially have to reach way
down with that outside foot to get to the bottom of the stroke.

Also spend a lot of time riding 1-f, even if it is straight. In order
to ride straight you have to make little corrections both ways, which
eventually blossom into full turns both ways.

Another thing to do is to bend around an obstacle instead of just open
ground.

Every day is different so if you get it today, you may not have it
tomorrow, and v-v.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'