Scaried monent on a bike?

Old August 16th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Scaried monent on a bike?

Has to be just past Shawfield Stadium on the Route 75 in Glasgow and a
bunch of Gypo dogs attack me. One for each leg. I had to basically grab
the bike and run into a travellers compound for the ****ers to get the
dogs off my leg.

Another moment was when a couple of junkies just stopped in front of
me, again Route 75, this time near Carmyle, and said "I'm 'aving that
bike" and put his dirty hand on the handlebars. I managed to ride off
fast.

What about all of you?

Thank you.

Old August 16th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has to be just past Shawfield Stadium on the Route 75 in Glasgow and a
bunch of Gypo dogs attack me. One for each leg. I had to basically grab
the bike and run into a travellers compound for the ****ers to get the
dogs off my leg.

Another moment was when a couple of junkies just stopped in front of
me, again Route 75, this time near Carmyle, and said "I'm 'aving that
bike" and put his dirty hand on the handlebars. I managed to ride off
fast.

What about all of you?

Thank you.

My scariest moment was when waiting to turn right on the main road at a 'T'
junction. A van was at the give way opposite waiting to turn right. All of a
sudden he pulled out with me sitting in the middle of the road, all I could
do is lean my bike away and await the impact. Luckily he stopped a few
inches from me and said something about the sun being in his eyes. You can
imagine what came out of my mouth but I must say it was one of the scariest
moments I've ever had.

John

Old August 16th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message . com,
') wrote:

Has to be just past Shawfield Stadium on the Route 75 in Glasgow and a
bunch of Gypo dogs attack me. One for each leg. I had to basically grab
the bike and run into a travellers compound for the ****ers to get the
dogs off my leg.

Another moment was when a couple of junkies just stopped in front of
me, again Route 75, this time near Carmyle, and said "I'm 'aving that
bike" and put his dirty hand on the handlebars. I managed to ride off
fast.

What about all of you?

Traversing a roundabout over the M6 just outside Manchester in 1973. An
empty flat bed articulated lorry came off the motorway sliproad, passing
me at high speed. My memory is that the suction behind the cab unit
sucked me in under the deck, and the air pressure in front of the
trailer wheels spat me out again. I have to say that doesn't seem likely
and it may be an exaggerated memory, but I can clearly remember the big
steel hooks they use to tie the load down going past over my head.

I cycled on for about a couple of miles on the adrenaline rush, and then
climbed off the bike and sat on the roadside shaking too badly to even
stand up. When I'd recovered a bit I cycled down the road until I
encountered a little suburban pharmacy, bought a roll of glucose
tablets, and consumed most of them.

I was very, very frightened.

;; Want to know what SCO stands for?
;; http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030605
Old August 16th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Christopher Harrison

Cycling up a steep hill, with a friend of mine, on my old bike (which
is currently written-off; but that's another, less scary, story). I was
never one to really maintain my old bike (I'm getting better) and the
gear changes were getting a bit dodgy.
So, anyway, up the hill I was going, in front, at about 10mph tops
(it's a steep hill). I changed down and my gears lock-up. At the time,
I'm pushing down on my right; so, with locked pedals, I veer into the
middle of the road... Guess what was coming up the road behind me at
the same time!... Big lorry, that didn't give me any distance, doing
about 40mph.

I'm sure my handle bars clipped it! I didn't fall off (thankfully!),
but it freaked the Hell out of me (and my friend!).

There were also several incidents cycling around Provence and the Cote
d'Azu Not being used the the wrong side of the road and Italians in
camper-vans; that sort of thing!

Christopher Harrison

Bike-friendly cities? cfsmtb Australia 8 July 31st 06 12:23 AM
Choosing a Bike - Newbie Help Von Fourche Techniques 11 July 7th 06 12:21 AM
Groningen in Holland: 60% of people travel by bike cfsmtb Australia 12 June 18th 06 12:51 AM
Control petrol prices [email protected] Australia 9 April 20th 06 09:11 PM
Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM