Clicking when pedalling hard

Old September 2nd 06, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

Default Clicking when pedalling hard

Pinky wrote:
Of course it is infuriating when you can't find it. I had a new squeak
( it was a "hum" actually) a couple of weeks ago. After 2 days pratting
around I gave up. So I just gave my VP2 a thorough clean and degreasing
and, after a good wash down, re lubricated everything -- and lo and behold
it disappeared. And it was a noise I hadn't ever heard b4. Goodness knows
what it was!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

One infuriating 'click under pressure' turned out to be relative
movement between the rivetted chain wheels (cheap Shimano) on my MTB -
a good squirt of silicone spray at the rivetting point fixed that
Another creak under load was the reflector on the rear wheel - I only
found that one when it fell off.....

Old September 2nd 06, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a new Specialized Hardrock a few weeks ago from a bike shop
which is a long way from my home. I just got it back from a free
service, and noticed I can hear a faint click on each pedal push when
I'm pushing hard on both right foot and left foot pushes. It's only a
faint click and isn''t heard when cruising along, only when pushing
hard. Can anyone say what it could be? I really don't want to take the
bike all the way back to the shop if it's something trivial and I can
fix it myself.

I'd check both pedal threads are well greased and tight on the crank arms
first. I had an annoying click and this was the cause. If that doesn't cure
it then try the crank arms or bottom bracket.

This site may be of use to you.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

John

Old September 2nd 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

John wrote on 02/09/2006 09:11 +0100:

I'd check both pedal threads are well greased and tight on the crank arms
first. I had an annoying click and this was the cause. If that doesn't cure
it then try the crank arms or bottom bracket.

If the sound is symmetrical (ie on both pedal strokes) its very unlikely
to be the pedals or cranks (which would both have to develop the
identical fault at the same time) and most likely to be a common element
like the BB or seat post.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 2nd 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Tony Raven wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote on 01/09/2006 22:48 +0100:

Movement on one side means a loose crank; movement on both a shot BB.

Or a loose BB cup

Or loose BB cartridge:
I had that happen on a multi-day tour and spent the trip wondering when my
BB was going to collapse. On getting home and removing the cranks, found it
was very easy to unscrew, thought "wonder if it was just loose", tightened
it, and its been fine ever since.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old September 2nd 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jerry

I had an annoying click like that once and it turned out to be the contact
between the chain and one of the pick-up points on one of the chain-rings.
The chainset had just been replaced, took me ages to find out what was
causing it. When I realised what it was I filed a tiny amount off the
pick-up rivet and problem solved. If you have a new bike it could possibly
be that. When I mentioned it to my LBS they said the clicking would probably
have gone away eventually with wear.

Could be any of the other things others have mentioned though - and I agree
with what the others have said about looking for a simple explanation first!

Jerry

Old September 3rd 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Clarke

Ian Smith wrote:

.... I can hear a faint click on each pedal push when
I'm pushing hard

or if its the bike, it could the the crank arms (that the pedals attach
to) are not tight on the bottom bracket. Usually you pop off the plastic
dust cover and there's a big Allen bolt inside.

Why would that click on the right pedal? Torque from crank arm to
chain doesn't go via that interface, so I wouldn't expect it to click.
When I've experienced a loose connection on the right crank, it has
manifested itself as a click on the left pedal only.

weak points:
That interface experiences torque, as do all others involved in
preventing the crank arm from simply being pushed into the road. I agree
you need more effort to make the right crank / BB interface click as the
chainset soaks up much of it, but it doesnt eliminate it - especially if
that interface moves.

one crank, two clicks:
A loose crank arm may creak/click when you put pressure on it, and also
depending on your pedaling technique it may click from carrying the
weight of your leg when you press on the other pedal.

checking our facts:
The description of the problem's not absolute & maybe not complete, so I
listed what I thought would be the simple things to check.

Besides, if you've got the tools out, why not check things that are easy
to check? It might be something you (and we) haven't thought of or seen
before, or your memory of the symptoms may be corrupted by what you
first thought you'd noticed.

How about similarly-loose bearings in both pedals?

also, maybe.

Phil