Servicing

Old October 30th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter

Default Servicing

Hello

I bought a Trek a few months ago, and until recently it hasn't had an
awful lot of use. I've got a few hundred miles on it, and I need to
spend a bit of time doing a bit of an overhaul - adjusting brakes and
checking bolts and so on. This I can cope with, and have no problems
with.

Where I am going to struggle is the rear mech - it's slow to shift /
sticking when I go to change gear. How do I adjust the gear cable so
I'm back to smooth shifting? (other than taking it to my lbs and
getting them to do it)

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

Cheers

Peter
Old October 30th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John

"Peter" wrote in message
Hello

I bought a Trek a few months ago, and until recently it hasn't had an
awful lot of use. I've got a few hundred miles on it, and I need to
spend a bit of time doing a bit of an overhaul - adjusting brakes and
checking bolts and so on. This I can cope with, and have no problems
with.

Where I am going to struggle is the rear mech - it's slow to shift /
sticking when I go to change gear. How do I adjust the gear cable so
I'm back to smooth shifting? (other than taking it to my lbs and
getting them to do it)

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

Cheers

Peter

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

John : )

Old October 30th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:21:32 +0000, Peter wrote:

I bought a Trek a few months ago, and until recently it hasn't had an
awful lot of use. I've got a few hundred miles on it, and I need to spend
a bit of time doing a bit of an overhaul - adjusting brakes and checking
bolts and so on. This I can cope with, and have no problems with.

Where I am going to struggle is the rear mech - it's slow to shift /
sticking when I go to change gear. How do I adjust the gear cable so I'm
back to smooth shifting? (other than taking it to my lbs and getting them
to do it)

If it's reluctant changing both up and down it's a friction in the cable
or lever issue -- a drop or two of oil will probably fix it. If it's
reluctant in just one direction then it's cable adjustment.

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

In principle if your LBS is a Cateye dealer they can order them from
Zyro, the UK importer for Cateye. In practice Zyro first tend to deny
that such parts exist, and to demand a minimum order value from the LBS,
so you might have to go in with printed proof that the brackets exist, and
then be prepared to wait a while. I have always, eventually, managed to
get the brackets I've wanted.

Mike
Old October 30th 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

I was going to suggest getting them directly from the site until I went
through the motions of ordering a couple for myself and found that the
shipping costs were $58 on parts costing $2 !!

The site suggests Zyro as a source but a look at the Zyro site suggests that
they don't stock the parts.

Old October 30th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:21:32 +0000, Peter wrote:

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

I'm not sure you can - I've looked in the past and failed.

Wiggle do SP5 and SP6. Otherwise, wiggle have 'cateye light clamp
rear' which is similar but incorporating a cable-tie like ratchet so
it can accomodate 18 to 40mm diameters, while not technically meeting
teh requirements for some of the parts of BS6102.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 30th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:57:34 -0000, "vernon"
wrote:

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

I was going to suggest getting them directly from the site until I went
through the motions of ordering a couple for myself and found that the
shipping costs were $58 on parts costing $2 !!

haha I did the self same thing. Thinking I was on to a winner, and
then being faced with $60 postage!!

Might be easier to get someone over there to order them and then post
them to me..

Old October 30th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

"Peter" wrote in message

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

Try

http://www.bikedock.com/posit/shop/i...ory=39&group=4

I've not used them....

Jc.

Old October 30th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:29:20 GMT, "John" wrote:

Peter

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

John : )

Excellent! Thanks

Peter
Old October 30th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paulmouk

"Peter" wrote in message
Hello

I bought a Trek a few months ago, and until recently it hasn't had an
awful lot of use. I've got a few hundred miles on it, and I need to
spend a bit of time doing a bit of an overhaul - adjusting brakes and
checking bolts and so on. This I can cope with, and have no problems

--
(Remove junk to reply)
with.

Where I am going to struggle is the rear mech - it's slow to shift /
sticking when I go to change gear. How do I adjust the gear cable so
I'm back to smooth shifting? (other than taking it to my lbs and
getting them to do it)

And, anyone know where I can get some of these
https://www.cateye.com/smallparts/pa...products_id=69
(sp7/sp8) in the UK?

Cheers

Peter

Go to http://www.ctcshop.com/find.jsp and use 'SP-7 clamp' in the keyword
speed search box.

Paul

Old October 30th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Blewett

Peter wrote:
I bought a Trek a few months ago, and until recently it hasn't had an
awful lot of use. I've got a few hundred miles on it, and I need to
spend a bit of time doing a bit of an overhaul - adjusting brakes and
checking bolts and so on. This I can cope with, and have no problems
with.

Where I am going to struggle is the rear mech - it's slow to shift /
sticking when I go to change gear. How do I adjust the gear cable so
I'm back to smooth shifting? (other than taking it to my lbs and
getting them to do it)

Assuming its just out of line, the rech mech is easy to correct, but the
first time takes a bit of time getting used to what adjustment does what.

With a new bike what you may be experiencing is cable stretch.. what
will help is to leave the bike in a high gear (ie the cable is slack)
when not in use.

The way I find easist to set up the rear mech is;

1) change gear to the smallest cog

2) completely loosen the cable

3) adjust the H-limit screw so the guide is just to the right (viewed
from the back) of the smallest cog.

4) pull the cable so its taught and tighten the cable (the guide is
still in line with the smallest cog)

5) change to the lowest gear (bigest cog)

6) adjust the L-limit screw so the guide is inline with the biggest cog.

7) do a test ride

8) if you change down a gear and it doesn't move to the bigger cog, turn
the adjustment anti-clockwise (ie extends the path of the cable, so
makes it pull more towards the lower gear)

9) if you change up a gear and it doesn't move to the smaller cog, turn
the adjustment clockwise (ie reuces the path of the cable, so makes it
pull less towards the higher gear)

Once set up, the H-limit and L-limit screws rarely need adjusting... and
once the new cable has streched, you can normally get away with just
steps 7 to 9.

That's how I do it, but I'll be interested to hear what the more
experience regulars here do.

Regards
Mark