When is a century not a century?

Old August 15th 03, 02:27 PM
matabala

Default When is a century not a century?

All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it really
count if you're stopping on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes for
a quick ****?

Old August 16th 03, 12:38 AM
Dashi Toshii

"matabala" wrote in message
All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it

really
count if you're stopping on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes

for
a quick ****?

A "century" is only a 100 mile bike ride, nothing "mythic" about it.

You should be doing one at least once a month, just to get the miles in.

Doesn't need to be an organized century, just do 100 miles on a training
ride.

Dashii

Old August 16th 03, 05:16 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Carl Sundquist wrote:

Matabala wrote:
All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it
really count if you're stopping on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it
takes for a quick ****?

Since this is not a racing pertinant question, why are you posting it
on this NG?

Well, a certain never-doped poster did mention "winning a more than a dozen
centuries" recently, so it could have something to do with that. Win!!! a
Century! and other valuable prizes! (Sorry, Tennessee...)

--
tanx,
Howard

"Better a lapdog for a slip of a girl than a ... git." Blackadder

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 16th 03, 04:51 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
hlink.net...

For cyclists just getting "serious" the first century ride is a milestone

of
some "mythic" proportion. The double century is, IMO, more of a true
cyclist's milestone or benchmark. Both can of course be done alone or

with
a small group of friends. But it's also fun to do it as part of an
organized century event. I have fond memories of the Katy Flatland

century
in Texas. And you never know, there might be belly dancers at the
finish----that's mythic.

Damn.

With events like the Katy Flatland Century under your belt, it's no wonder
you think the TdF is no longer epic.

Old August 16th 03, 07:17 PM
Raptor

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when
they could ride the same public roads for free.

The regular rest stops, well stocked with sunscreen, food and drink, and
their obvious invitation to rest up a spell, are worth it to me. When I
go for a training ride, I tend to ride farther between stops (sometimes
no stops at all for 60 miles), skimp on the re-fuels, and therefore end
up riding slower and hurting more afterwards.

Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old August 16th 03, 07:57 PM
Bob M

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:17:26 -0600, Raptor wrote:

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that
when
they could ride the same public roads for free.

The regular rest stops, well stocked with sunscreen, food and drink, and
their obvious invitation to rest up a spell, are worth it to me. When I
go for a training ride, I tend to ride farther between stops (sometimes
no stops at all for 60 miles), skimp on the re-fuels, and therefore end
up riding slower and hurting more afterwards.

Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.

Plus, you might get to meet other people. I've joined a few clubs, but the
rides are generally far from where I live, and I'm training a lot (for me).
A ride you pay for will have other people to meet. I've signed up for two
so far this year.

--
Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply
Old August 16th 03, 10:25 PM
Kyle Legate

Raptor wrote:
Kyle Legate wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.

Like carrying food and drink with you?

I seem to need a lot more than I carry to perform well. If I'm on a
supported century ride, I eat-eat-eat and drink-drink-drink, and feel
pretty strong in the last few miles of it. The alternative on a
training ride is to hit several convenience stores on the way.

Generally, when I'm a long ride I bring calorie-dense foods with me...a
piece of fruit to mark the end of the first hour, dried fruit, cookies and
energy bars or gels for the rest of the ride. In the summer, 3 bottles, two
with cytomax and one with water. When I run low on fluid I hit a variety
store for a large bottle of water, top up my water bottles and chug back the
rest. If the cytomax went early and I'm running low on food I'll consider
mixing a gatorade with the water to keep the salt up and prevent cramps.
That's sufficient for me. After the ride, the usual post ride feed and in
the summer I always have a bottle of water by my side. Make sure you're
fully fueled before the start (a meal a couple of hours before and pee as
clear as you can) and you'll be able to handle a slight deficit on the ride.

Old August 16th 03, 11:14 PM
B. Lafferty

:-)

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message ...

Old August 16th 03, 11:20 PM
Boyd Speerschneider

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
:

snip

No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when
they could ride the same public roads for free.

That's why I don't pay.
I jump in the pack a few miles after the start.
Of course, I bring my own food/drinks, so as not to cause any expense to the
organizers.

- Boyd S.
Old August 16th 03, 11:25 PM
Boyd Speerschneider

Howard Kveck wrote in
:

snip

Well, a certain never-doped poster did mention "winning a more than a
dozen
centuries" recently, so it could have something to do with that. Win!!!
a Century! and other valuable prizes! (Sorry, Tennessee...)

So what was the prize when Never-Doped "won" a century?
A cookie, a pickle, or a button?

- Boyd S.