OT Smart cars

Old February 16th 04, 03:44 PM
MartinM

Default OT Smart cars

according to the new poster campaign for these cars they are not bound
by the usual traffic regulations (eg traffic cones etc). A new one on
me! and they only carry two people (I know that's one more than most
cars but..)
Old February 16th 04, 03:54 PM
vernon levy

according to the new poster campaign for these cars they are not bound
by the usual traffic regulations (eg traffic cones etc).

I suspect it was a metaphore for them being able to get to places more
easily than other cars.

A new one on
me! and they only carry two people (I know that's one more than most
cars but..)

And the point you are making is.....

Old February 16th 04, 04:06 PM
John Hearns

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:44:05 -0800, MartinM wrote:

me! and they only carry two people

They do only carry one or two people.

Old February 16th 04, 04:20 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:06:04 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:44:05 -0800, MartinM wrote:

me! and they only carry two people

They do only carry one or two people.

And a Brompton in the space behind the seat that might in another car be
called the boot.

Colin
Old February 16th 04, 04:20 PM
Richard Bates

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:20:16 -0000, in
, Colin Blackburn
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:06:04 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:44:05 -0800, MartinM wrote:

me! and they only carry two people

They do only carry one or two people.

And a Brompton in the space behind the seat that might in another car be
called the boot.

I've just bought some new panniers that are probably big enough to
carry a Smart car.

I'm having thoughts of Guy towing a Smart behind his 'bent ...
--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with.
Old February 16th 04, 04:22 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In om,
MartinM typed:
according to the new poster campaign for these cars they are not bound
by the usual traffic regulations (eg traffic cones etc). A new one on
me! and they only carry two people (I know that's one more than most
cars but..)

Tell the ASA, then. They have special rules about car advertising. I got a
positive response from my complaint of last month.

Old February 16th 04, 04:41 PM
Adrian Boliston

"MartinM" wrote in message
om...

according to the new poster campaign for these cars they are not bound
by the usual traffic regulations (eg traffic cones etc....

You mean they can use motorway lanes that are coned off??

Old February 16th 04, 07:42 PM
MartinM

"vernon levy" wrote in message ...
according to the new poster campaign for these cars they are not bound
by the usual traffic regulations (eg traffic cones etc).

I suspect it was a metaphore for them being able to get to places more
easily than other cars.

cones are cones, irrespective of vehicle size. A Smart is no more able
to drive in a coned off area.

A new one on
me! and they only carry two people (I know that's one more than most
cars but..)

And the point you are making is.....

That basically Smarts are extra vehicles on the road, nice though they
may be, as they don't serve the purpose of conventional 5 seater cars.
IMBW but I don't think they are puchased as replacements for
Fiestas/Metros etc.
Old February 16th 04, 09:44 PM
vernon levy

cones are cones, irrespective of vehicle size. A Smart is no more able
to drive in a coned off area.

I never suggested that they were allowed to drive in coned off areas just
that they were small enough and manoeverable enough to do things that larger
cars couldn't. Revise the meaning of metaphor :-)

A new one on
me! and they only carry two people (I know that's one more than most
cars but..)

And the point you are making is.....

That basically Smarts are extra vehicles on the road, nice though they
may be, as they don't serve the purpose of conventional 5 seater cars.
IMBW but I don't think they are puchased as replacements for
Fiestas/Metros etc.

I'd rather see a Smart car with one person in it than a Rolls Royce with
two...less fuel per person mile and less CO2. They were never intended to
be a five seater car, that's why they were fitted with two seats.
Furthermore when a Smart car is being driven, its owner is not driving a
bigger more puluting vehicle unless of course he's driving a flat bed truck
with the Smart car on the back with the engine running.

I still don't see the point of your beefing....

Old February 17th 04, 07:20 AM
MartinM

"vernon levy" wrote in message

I still don't see the point of your beefing....

That Smarts are
a) immune from the usual problems that beset car drivers.This is not
really true.
I love Smarts, would have one in my garage if I could justify the
extra car tax/insurance etc, and also if it did what my AX does (ie
trips to the dump, bike carrier,school run with my two and aften
another two). But they still cause congestion, need a car parking
space (albeit smaller) at the other end, and I suspect, due to their
limited space, replace possibly some journeys that could be done by
public transport/ walking/bike (ok thats pure speculation)
b) I don't have any problem with one or two people using a Smart
rather than a larger more petrol-thirsty car. There was a posting in
this NG a few weeks ago about an extra 3 million cars in the UK since
1997; well Smarts and also other _lifestyle_ vehicles, e.g. 4x4s used
to go shopping/school runs etc probably contribute to this number.
Thus they are extra vehicles. As long as Smarts do not represent extra
unneccesary journeys they are are good thing, but what about the
additional environmental aspects of manufacturing all these extra cars
(and of course scrapping the old ones)?