wither whether the weather?

Old May 29th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default wither whether the weather?

Today looks to be the first air quality advisory of the season. It's
forecast to be in the high moderate range.

Questions:

If the reason is ozone - not particulate matter - and you are not
particularly sensitive to respiratory issues is it harmful to ride?

Even though the advisory covers the entire region is it helpful to be away
from traffic in amongst treed off-road trails?

Any other anti-pollution strategies to make riding better?

Oh, for those interested I posted my Elmira ride to the website and made a
few minor changes.

http://www.geocities.com/siklelogical/

Old May 29th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Although specific to Houston, TX, there is lots of pollution
information in
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...cNvurO1OFSD5Lw

A significant portion of pollution come from vehicles, so low traffic
roads would be a little better.

Of course, a filter mask can help too.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/...ies/s10304.htm
http://www.icanbreathe.com/
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5899
http://www.bicyclemagic.com/products...ollution_Masks
http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=4&b=150&c=1162

Old May 29th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Mike A Schwab" wrote in message
oups.com...

A significant portion of pollution come from vehicles, so low traffic
roads would be a little better.

Of course, a filter mask can help too.

I have one actually. I've never worn it while riding. They are not the most
comfortable things and I can imagine the attention it would garner wearing
one while cycling through town. I've been tempted to get a SCOTT air pack
from work to wear.

Old May 30th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

recycled-one wrote:
"Mike A Schwab" wrote in message
oups.com...

A significant portion of pollution come from vehicles, so low traffic
roads would be a little better.

Of course, a filter mask can help too.

I have one actually. I've never worn it while riding. They are not the most
comfortable things and I can imagine the attention it would garner wearing
one while cycling through town. I've been tempted to get a SCOTT air pack
from work to wear.

Ozone is not a particulate so a mask won't bother it. It kills bacteria
in the air and as a side effect if it is concentrated enough will
irritate your lungs. I have heard other things about long term exposure
but not enough to stop riding. It sounds like the best thing you can do
is head out away from the particulates and breathe some clean air, even
if it does have a bit too much ozone.
Bill Baka