HOT today

Old August 9th 03, 04:48 PM
Niv

Default HOT today

Just done a 45 mile round trip, really quite slowly at about 14.3mph ave.
I drank over 3 litres of fluids & am still thirsty.
Polar HRM said temp varied between 90F & 101F !!!

Global warming or what.

Niv (STILL sweating after cool shower).

Old August 9th 03, 07:40 PM
Tenex

Niv wrote:
Just done a 45 mile round trip, really quite slowly at about 14.3mph
ave. I drank over 3 litres of fluids & am still thirsty.
Polar HRM said temp varied between 90F & 101F !!!

Global warming or what.

Niv (STILL sweating after cool shower).

Ozone layer recovering at last according to reports last week

Kicking CFCs is working (mostly ;-)

Old August 9th 03, 07:42 PM
Cicero

"Niv" wrote in message
Just done a 45 mile round trip, really quite slowly at about 14.3mph ave.
I drank over 3 litres of fluids & am still thirsty.
Polar HRM said temp varied between 90F & 101F !!!

Global warming or what.

Niv (STILL sweating after cool shower).

=============
If you're drinking that much in about 3 hours you could be putting yourself
in danger. There was something in the news recently about excessive fluid
intake. Apparently it can damage the body's electrolyte or salt levels and
is almost as bad as a drinking binge on alcoholic drinks. Perhaps somebody
can add more detail as this could be a serious problem for many people in
this hot weather. I certainly never drank 3 litres during any marathons
even in the hottest weather.

A good way to re-hydrate after your exercise is to eat plenty of vegetables
rather than just drinking liquids.

Cic.

Old August 9th 03, 07:58 PM
Niv

=============
If you're drinking that much in about 3 hours you could be putting

yourself
in danger. There was something in the news recently about excessive fluid
intake. Apparently it can damage the body's electrolyte or salt levels

and
is almost as bad as a drinking binge on alcoholic drinks. Perhaps somebody
can add more detail as this could be a serious problem for many people in
this hot weather. I certainly never drank 3 litres during any marathons
even in the hottest weather.

A good way to re-hydrate after your exercise is to eat plenty of

vegetables
rather than just drinking liquids.

Cic.

Yes, but weighing myself before & after, there was still a difference
(lighter), which is just down to fluid loss. I've had cracking headaches
before when I've drunk less. I read somewhere that 1 L per hour is minimal
for this sort of weather.

Anyway, chilli's in the uWave & beer's in the fridge, time to chill in front
of the TV. (veg out mode assumed).

Niv

Old August 9th 03, 08:26 PM
Cicero

"Fraggle" wrote in message
. ..
"Cicero" wrote in
:

"Niv" wrote in message
drank lots of water

said it may be bad for you

Quote from reputable sports journal(the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?
xml=/health/2003/06/04/hwat04.xml
"
So how much is it safe to sip? "Aim to consume about a quarter of a pint
of fluid for every hour of exercise, which won't replace everything you
lose through sweat, but will maintain a healthy fluid balance," advises
Tunstall-Pedoe. "More than that is not really advisable, unless it is
very hot.''

For a simple way to ensure your fluid balance is healthy, the new
guidelines suggest weighing yourself before and after exercise. Sutton
agrees: "Any weight loss is not fat but fluid and you need to put it
back.

For every pound you lose after exercise, you should drink two medium
glasses of water to replace it.

/quote

I guess as its nearly record breaking heat "very hot" covers it

Fragg

========
Well, I would normally lose about 6 to 8 pounds during an 18 mile training
run and I would never have been able to drink the 12 to 16 glasses of water
required by the above formula. I'm not alone in these weight loss figures
so there must be more to it than simple fluid intake.

Cic.

Old August 9th 03, 08:39 PM
Dave

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

"Niv" wrote in message

snip

Listen to Ian Collins at 2000 today on 1089/1053 kHz. What is the
connection between these words? I hope someone gets the answer tonight,

it's
driving me mad.

Ballet
Tennis
Football
Prison
Parents
Babysitter
Centre
Signature
Train
Absolute

errr....none of them are the word 'bicycle', just to bring it back OT ;-)
Dave.

Old August 9th 03, 09:53 PM
Taywood

Polar HRM said temp varied between 90F & 101F !!!

Whats an F ?

Old August 9th 03, 10:14 PM
Ian Smith

On 09 Aug 2003 19:07:16 GMT, Fraggle wrote:

Quote from reputable sports journal(the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?
xml=/health/2003/06/04/hwat04.xml
"
So how much is it safe to sip? "Aim to consume about a quarter of a pint
of fluid for every hour of exercise, which won't replace everything you
lose through sweat, but will maintain a healthy fluid balance," advises
Tunstall-Pedoe. "More than that is not really advisable, unless it is
very hot.''

Trouble is, is the torygraphs idea of exercise mowing the lawn (for
which 1/4 pt per hour might be about right), or three hours hard
riding? I think had I done 3 hours riding today (actually I only did
one hour on a bouncy castle) I'm confident that drinking less than a
pint would have left me badly dehydrated.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old August 9th 03, 11:29 PM
Thomas

"Niv" wrote in message
Just done a 45 mile round trip, really quite slowly at about 14.3mph ave.
I drank over 3 litres of fluids & am still thirsty.
Polar HRM said temp varied between 90F & 101F !!!

Global warming or what.

Niv (STILL sweating after cool shower).

Very very hot out today.

Did a quick cycle to Hyde Park, read a couple of books, then went to Oxford
Street to pick up a few DVDs.

My God was the cycle home hell. It's only a few miles, but the sun was on my
face all the way, moo.

Eventually got home, drank a load of water, sat down, sweated profusely, got
a couple of pints of milk to down, started to feel much better.

Strange, though - on the ride home after the daily commute, I normally
prefer a couple of pints of milk to water... and yet have noticebly lost
weight. Moooooo!

Thomas.

Old August 10th 03, 12:19 AM
Thomas

"doobrie" wrote in message
. ..
Strange, though - on the ride home after the daily commute, I normally
prefer a couple of pints of milk to water... and yet have noticebly lost
weight. Moooooo!

Thomas.

good news ... part of my reason to do the commute run is for weight
purposes ... a 30 mile round trip aiming for 3 or 4 days per week with a
decent sunday ride thrown in too

bikes broke at the moment though on my first ever ride from work so it
didnt start off too well .. hope it works a little better when its back!

Heh, well, it's taken a couple of visits to the local bike vets to sort out
my cheapo mountain bike, but so far it appears to be doing the job quite
well. When I remember to stick the lights on.

However, my round trip's a shade under ten miles. Main reason for getting
into cycling was buying a load of thirty-inch jeans that I couldn't get
into... and that's always been my size... Slowly, the beer gut's coming
away...

Thomas.

An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
LA power up the mountain today ?? [email protected] Racing 0 July 21st 04 06:53 PM
It came today! elmer Unicycling 13 April 28th 04 06:30 PM
Read & retch: interview on "Today" w/ celeb driver-killer of cyclist. BikeAdman Social Issues 3 November 19th 03 08:17 AM