Are more expensive brakes noticeably better?

Old January 17th 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Are more expensive brakes noticeably better?

Ivan wrote:
I'm thinking about upgrading the brakes on my road bike as I have had a
few scares in the winter weather. It's a mostly stock Cannondale R500.

The brakes are cannondale delta. Does anyone have an idea what these are
comparable to in the shimano range? Will I notice an improvement with a
more expensive set of calipers or would I be able to make up most of the
difference with a better set of brake blocks?

IMX the two things which seem to get ditched from the groupset when
speccing bikes to a budget are front chainset and brakes. I have two
sets of Shimano dual pivot brakes, the more expensive set seem much
better, but the rims are different. The "copy" brakes seem to look the
same but things like quick release, adjusters etc are noticeably worse
quality than the real McCoy
(I only changed mine because the old brakes were too short reach with
the new frame)