Remove forks from Carlton Corsa bike

Old April 12th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Campbell

Default Remove forks from Carlton Corsa bike

I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want
to remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

Please how?

I have loosened a sort of sleeve nut from just below the handlebars, but
not much useful is revealed. Then, below that and (looks like) attached
to the frame is a collar (used to be chrome) and then on the fork end
there is a similar collar. Neither collar has any obvious means of removal.

TIA,

Jon C.
Old April 12th 08, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony B[_2_]

Jonathan Campbell wrote:

Please how?

Undo the screw in the top of the stem - that will (hopefully) let the
wedge loose that is inside the head tube, holding the fork in place.

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html and it should all becone clear.

Then undo the headset locknut and adjustable race:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#headset

Then the fork will drop out. Watch out for the ball bearings that may
scatter.. fridge suck is a strong force...

Good luck with the wheel truing!

bfn,

Tony B
Old April 12th 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RG

"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

Please how?

I have loosened a sort of sleeve nut from just below the handlebars, but
not much useful is revealed. Then, below that and (looks like) attached to
the frame is a collar (used to be chrome) and then on the fork end there
is a similar collar. Neither collar has any obvious means of removal.

TIA,

Jon C.

Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
sports/touring frame

Another post has already mentioned the stem removal process.

The bits you refer to at the top and bottom of the headtube ("collar, used
to be chrome") are a push-fit in the frame and will need to be tapped out -
although the fork steerer tube will come out when the headnut is undone
(there may also be a threaded locking ring) - various methods for getting
the bearing cups out - and there's even a tool for the purpose ... but have
a look at my briefings at www.beewee.org.uk for some tips and ideas on
working with old bikes.

The idea for using a fork for wheel-truing is bit haphazard IMHO - the ends
of the axle really need to be held to ensure accurate centring.

What is useful with an old frame is to use the front fork clamped in a
bike-stand for "off-the-bike" wheel cleaning - wheel is held by the axle and
can be thoroughly cleaned - likewise cutting the "rear triangle" (seat tube
and stays) off a frame and using that in a bike stand makes an equally
useful holder for cleaning the rear wheel.

RG

Old April 12th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Campbell

RG wrote:
"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

Please how?

I have loosened a sort of sleeve nut from just below the handlebars, but
not much useful is revealed. Then, below that and (looks like) attached to
the frame is a collar (used to be chrome) and then on the fork end there
is a similar collar. Neither collar has any obvious means of removal.

TIA,

Jon C.

Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
sports/touring frame

Sounds correct.

[...]

Thanks, and to Tony B. The forks are removed. I'll not confess to the
whole Internet the amount of brute force and ignorance that was used ---
the latter in abundance.

Thanks also regarding the wheel truing idea and, for me, the more
realistic wheel cleaning uses for forks and rear of the frame. Some time
ago I asked advice on wheel truing and was about to set myself up with
the requisite tools. I bought only the spoke key and then persuaded
myself that the wheel which was the immediate problem did not in fact
need truing.

Best regards,

Jon C.
Old April 12th 08, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article ,
"RG" nochance says...

"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
sports/touring frame

Probably not a safe assumption - Carlton did make a Corsa model.

The idea for using a fork for wheel-truing is bit haphazard IMHO - the ends
of the axle really need to be held to ensure accurate centring.

All the jig has to do is support pointers for axial and radial runout -
check dish with a dishing tool.

What is useful with an old frame is to use the front fork clamped in a
bike-stand for "off-the-bike" wheel cleaning - wheel is held by the axle and
can be thoroughly cleaned - likewise cutting the "rear triangle" (seat tube
and stays) off a frame and using that in a bike stand makes an equally
useful holder for cleaning the rear wheel.

I've always found a sink full of hot soapy water to be the most useful
thing for cleaning wheels.
Old April 12th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Campbell

RG wrote:
"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to

[...]
the bearing cups out - and there's even a tool for the purpose ... but have
a look at my briefings at www.beewee.org.uk for some tips and ideas on
working with old bikes.

Nice selection of bikes. Makes me sort of regretful about discarding the
Corsair --- but, for various reasons, it had lain outside for many
years; moreover I'm lazy.

Looks like we had the same Triang trike. I think I got mine Christmas
1953. Managed to tip myself off it soon later by attempting an
impossibly sharp turn --- I put that down as my earliest memory.

The forks remind of another awful moment. I had just been given a
Raleigh Blue Streak --- my first drop handlebars bike, though nothing
really sporting about it. A friend was visiting (the awkwardest man who
ever grew breath and remains so to this day, though still a good friend)
and he presuaded me to give him a ride on the Blue Streak. So off he
went, down a hill; the hill had a corner in the middle; awkward friend
couldn't find the brakes ... into a hedge and then a wall ... many
thorns in friend, forks bent on bike. Friendship greatly tested.

Could that Blue Streak have really cost £19 and some pence? (In 1963).

Best regards,

Jon C.
Old April 12th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Rob Morley wrote:

In article ,
"RG" nochance says...

What is useful with an old frame is to use the front fork clamped in a
bike-stand for "off-the-bike" wheel cleaning - wheel is held by the axle and
can be thoroughly cleaned - likewise cutting the "rear triangle" (seat tube
and stays) off a frame and using that in a bike stand makes an equally
useful holder for cleaning the rear wheel.

I've always found a sink full of hot soapy water to be the most useful
thing for cleaning wheels.

Just don't let SWMBO see you doing it in the kitchen. I used to hose
by best bike down in the bath!!! Best thing for domestic harmony with
regard to wheel cleaning is an old washing up bowl full of hot soapy
water and a car-washing brush in the back yard - do not borrow the
pot-washing brush!
Old April 13th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Campbell

Rob Morley wrote:
In article ,
"RG" nochance says...
"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to
remove the forks (thinking might do for wheel truing on a bench).

Just to be slightly pedantic - I assume you mean a Carlton Corsair .... 531
sports/touring frame

Probably not a safe assumption - Carlton did make a Corsa model.

Just checked and, yes, it is a Corsa --- emblazoned across the top bar.

Jon C.