Well lubed jockey wheels

Old September 11th 18, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Well lubed jockey wheels

I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube. The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible to lubricate them
after they are assembled.

I bought a grease syringe that fits my grease gun, and I drilled a hole
into the jockey wheel such that I can pump grease directly into the
middle of the plain bearings.

Campagnolo jockey wheels use a soft metal outer bearing material, so it
was easy to drill through the plastic wheel and the bearing material.

--
JS
Old September 12th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/11/2018 6:54 PM, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube.Â* The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible to lubricate them
after they are assembled.

I bought a grease syringe that fits my grease gun, and I drilled a hole
into the jockey wheel such that I can pump grease directly into the
middle of the plain bearings.

Campagnolo jockey wheels use a soft metal outer bearing material, so it
was easy to drill through the plastic wheel and the bearing material.

After riding from Delaware to Ohio, most of it in rain, my SunTour
jockey pulleys were squeaking badly. I replaced them with ball bearing
units from an ancient derailleur in my junk box. It may have been a
Huret Svelto. I don't think I've had any trouble since.

Since then, at a sort of estate sale, I acquired a set of (IIRC)
Bullseye aluminum jockey wheels with sealed bearings. I suppose I should
install them.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 12th 18, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:54:54 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube. The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible to lubricate them
after they are assembled.

I bought a grease syringe that fits my grease gun, and I drilled a hole
into the jockey wheel such that I can pump grease directly into the
middle of the plain bearings.

Campagnolo jockey wheels use a soft metal outer bearing material, so it
was easy to drill through the plastic wheel and the bearing material.

--
JS

Dude, these are the ONLY pulley wheels you will ever need: https://tinyurl.com/yb2lnw6c Only $500 USD.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 12th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 12:54:54 AM UTC+2, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube. The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible to lubricate them
after they are assembled.

I bought a grease syringe that fits my grease gun, and I drilled a hole
into the jockey wheel such that I can pump grease directly into the
middle of the plain bearings.

Campagnolo jockey wheels use a soft metal outer bearing material, so it
was easy to drill through the plastic wheel and the bearing material.

--
JS

You mean the Campagnolo jockey wheels with the plain bearings (10 sp)? Get rid of them and buy Tacx jockey wheels with stainless steel ball bearings: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ta...y-Wheels-p833/ (type 5) and you are done especially in your Australian climate. Campagnolo stuff is very durable except their jockey wheels with plain bearings. They are crap.

Lou
Old September 12th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 12/09/18 12:34, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:54:54 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube. The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible to lubricate them
after they are assembled.

I bought a grease syringe that fits my grease gun, and I drilled a hole
into the jockey wheel such that I can pump grease directly into the
middle of the plain bearings.

Campagnolo jockey wheels use a soft metal outer bearing material, so it
was easy to drill through the plastic wheel and the bearing material.

Dude, these are the ONLY pulley wheels you will ever need: https://tinyurl.com/yb2lnw6c Only $500 USD.

Hold your breath while I rush out and buy some.

--
JS

Old September 12th 18, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/09/18 05:50, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, but the standard jockey wheels seem to last
quite well for me, provided I can get a good dose of lubricant in to
them - which is now very easy for me.

I tried some jockey wheels with sealed bearings many years ago. They
were made from aluminium and wore out relatively quickly, while not
noticeably making a difference to gear changes. Maybe the Tacx plastic
ones are better these days, and maybe when I wear out the stock jockey
wheels I'll try some.

--
JS
Old September 12th 18, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 2:25:08 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 12/09/18 12:34, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:54:54 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube. The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible to lubricate them
after they are assembled.

I bought a grease syringe that fits my grease gun, and I drilled a hole
into the jockey wheel such that I can pump grease directly into the
middle of the plain bearings.

Campagnolo jockey wheels use a soft metal outer bearing material, so it
was easy to drill through the plastic wheel and the bearing material.

Dude, these are the ONLY pulley wheels you will ever need: https://tinyurl.com/yb2lnw6c Only $500 USD.

Hold your breath while I rush out and buy some.

Well, perhaps you are not as good as Peter Sagan or Romain Bardet! https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/spor...nsorship/road/ For those of us who push the limits of human performance, every watt saved means a potential stage win or GC placing. A full compliment of Ceramic Speed bearings and their specially treated chain allowed me to podium yet again on the way to work this morning! I was met at my building by the podium girl: http://nationalreport.net/wp-content...ith-2-dogs.png She also had her podium dogs.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 12th 18, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/09/18 07:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 2:25:08 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 12/09/18 12:34, jbeattie wrote:

Dude, these are the ONLY pulley wheels you will ever need:
https://tinyurl.com/yb2lnw6c Only $500 USD.

Hold your breath while I rush out and buy some.

Well, perhaps you are not as good as Peter Sagan or Romain Bardet!

That is not a perhaps, but a certainty.

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/spor...nsorship/road/ For
those of us who push the limits of human performance, every watt
saved means a potential stage win or GC placing. A full compliment of
Ceramic Speed bearings and their specially treated chain allowed me
to podium yet again on the way to work this morning! I was met at my
building by the podium girl:
http://nationalreport.net/wp-content...ith-2-dogs.png
She also had her podium dogs.

Congrats! Strava notified me that someone stole my KOM, just the other
day. Most certainly he had more expensive jockey wheels. It's the only
explanation.

--
JS
Old September 13th 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/12/2018 4:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

they're everywhere but your image was almost bearable:

https://isthmus.com/downloads/40988/...558f5fd60ec9ca

image doesn't convey the stench of a block-long group

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Jockey Wheels Dan O Techniques 2 July 20th 10 06:31 AM
Jockey Wheels taz UK 0 May 7th 07 03:31 PM
Jockey wheels seized John UK 5 January 15th 06 10:39 AM
When Jockey Wheels Explode Bill Henry General 2 October 15th 05 09:22 AM
Help - jockey wheels LSMike UK 8 July 18th 05 09:20 AM