Big Mig - honest, dishonest?

Old May 25th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Default Big Mig - honest, dishonest?

Dans le message de news:VsF5i.18$eO5.14@trndny08,
B. Lafferty a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
"RonSonic" wrote in message
On 25 May 2007 09:36:57 -0700, "
wrote:

I too will always think of him as being a dignified patron of the
peleton and-- rightyl or wrongly-- as a clean rider. Perhaps this
is naive but it is how I want to remember him.

Yes, this is naive! Big Mig was a doper; he was once described as
'EPO perfected'. I sure as hell hope no one still believes Pantani
was clean! If they take Riis' title, they should take Pantani's as
well. Should Ullrich admit he doped too that would leave...HOLY
**** BOBBY JULICH AS THE VIRTUAL TdF champion! Considering the
scandal that year and his meteoric crash, I'd Julich was clean. Oh
my god my head's going to explode...........

This is why the entire concept of rewriting results is so stupid. If
they take
out Riis, who do they replace him with? Someone who we somehow know
to be clean?

I wonder how you would feel if you raced clean and lost Olympic Gold
or the Tour to a doper. I'd want justice and the medal.

New rule, proposed long ago - you did nothing wrong? Cast the first stone.
[notes to rule] - check your memory really really closely, first.

Old May 25th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 25, 12:58 pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

I wonder how you would feel if you raced clean and lost Olympic Gold or the
Tour to a doper. I'd want justice and the medal.

I saw Mottet cry on the podium at Worlds in Co. (the story being that
he raced clean and Argentin... maybe didn't?)

All well and good as long as there is no possibility that any food
(water, drinks, whatever) or pills or injections had any trace of
forbidden substances in them.

The obvious question is, how does an athlete know he is "clean"?

The "athlete is totally responsible" clause was another low blow in
the War on People.

========

OK, the dam has burst. Mr. 60% (he who gained weight and turned orange
during the TdF, in addition to winning the thing) has admitted using
EPO and other.

All charges, sanctions for positives, whatever and whoever, are
immediately dropped, for everyone.

Just a drop in the bucket, but that would be at least a sign of an
admission from the Power that they are fundamentally responsible for
the mess-- by making bad rules they could not fairly enforce through
simple testing, which situation caused widespread "cheating".

After all, if you know the guy or team next to you can cop an unfair
advantage with little-to-no fear of being detected, what are your
options?

Remember "Lead us not into temptation"? Makes me wonder if any of
these holy rollin' dope cops ever read the Good Book.

At some point, the world of sport needs to grasp the concept of an
"unsolveable problem", and find a way to play fair. --D-y

Old May 25th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
With a little bit of luck and a couple more 7-CD set self-realization
courses from California, I will be fully justified by the time I die.

Somebody should have sent some of these Californian CD sets to Sartre.

Old May 25th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 25, 1:58 pm, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:
"RonSonic" wrote in message

On 25 May 2007 09:36:57 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Of course I think anyone would feel cheated and would want justice.
Clearly the worst victims of doping are those that are truly clean and
have made the sacrifices their sport demands only to be denied their
just dues. (Not that anybody outside the world of pro cycling
believes that there is a such thing as a "clean" rider anymore). As
others here have asked, how do you re-write the race results in good
concious and without knowing whether you are swapping one cheater for
another? In the case of Riis, Ullrich, and Pantani you're talking
about +/- 10 years ago. Looking at the GC standings of those Tours,
who would you elevate to the top step of the podium?

Old May 25th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
B. Lafferty

"Sandy" wrote in message
Dans le message de news:VsF5i.18$eO5.14@trndny08,
B. Lafferty a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré
:
"RonSonic" wrote in message
On 25 May 2007 09:36:57 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Damn Sandy, I could be the virtual TdF champion without having been there.
;-)

Old May 25th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
B. Lafferty

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
. com...
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
With a little bit of luck and a couple more 7-CD set self-realization
courses from California, I will be fully justified by the time I die.

Somebody should have sent some of these Californian CD sets to Sartre.

Not even that could have let him die a happy death. (joke intended).

Old May 25th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
benjo maso

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
t...
Dan Gregory wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:
Callistus Valerius wrote:
Dope free also, makes him one of the few legitimate winners.

Dumbass,

Salbutamol, 1994.

In which year Riis admits he was using Epo

Gewiss made a ton of progress that year. Just like Telekom would
in following years.

In 1994 I don't believe EPO was a banned substance yet. I'm not
sure when that came, 1996?

No, 1990

Benjo

Old May 25th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 25 May 2007 20:30:47 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

New rule, proposed long ago - you did nothing wrong? Cast the first stone.
[notes to rule] - check your memory really really closely, first.

OK, so I did a few things wrong. OTOH, I find as I grow older, I have
better reasons for doing what I did when I was young.

With a little bit of luck and a couple more 7-CD set self-realization
courses from California, I will be fully justified by the time I die.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...