A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 6th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug T
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

I'm kooking to buy a lightly used Scott Team frameset / fork and build
it up. The asking price is $675 which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up. Any thoughts on what I
should offer? Thanks.
Ads
  #2  
Old May 6th 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug T
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

On May 6, 1:03*pm, Doug T wrote:
I'm kooking to buy a lightly used Scott Team frameset / fork and build
it up. The asking price is $675 which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up. Any thoughts on what I
should offer? Thanks.


To clarify this is a Scott CR1 frameset and fork.
  #3  
Old May 6th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 134
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

Doug T wrote:
On May 6, 1:03 pm, Doug T wrote:
I'm kooking to buy a lightly used Scott Team frameset / fork and build
it up. The asking price is $675 which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up. Any thoughts on what I
should offer? Thanks.


To clarify this is a Scott CR1 frameset and fork.


Sorry to say it but take a look at EBay current and completed auctions.
I feel that these give good insight into the value of such items on the
open market. Of course, as an individual, you have to decide for yourself.
  #4  
Old May 6th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 881
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

Op 6-5-2011 19:03, Doug T schreef:
I'm kooking to buy a lightly used Scott Team frameset / fork and build
it up. The asking price is $675 which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up. Any thoughts on what I
should offer? Thanks.



If in good condition 675 USD is a fair price IMO. I know what I paid for
that frameset. What a build up kit costs has nothing to do with it BTW.

Lou
  #5  
Old May 6th 11, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Renard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

On May 6, 10:03*am, Doug T wrote:
I'm kooking to buy a lightly used Scott Team frameset / fork and build
it up. The asking price is $675 which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up. Any thoughts on what I
should offer? Thanks.


What's the connection between the price you pay for a frame:

"The asking price is $675"

and this; "which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up"
?


That is completely up to you to create rules about price ratios.
  #6  
Old May 6th 11, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug T
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

On May 6, 1:30*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 6-5-2011 19:03, Doug T schreef:

I'm kooking to buy a lightly used Scott Team frameset / fork and build
it up. The asking price is $675 which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up. Any thoughts on what I
should offer? Thanks.


If in good condition 675 USD is a fair price IMO. I know what I paid for
that frameset. What a build up kit costs has nothing to do with it BTW.

Lou


Thanks, but here's my reasoning on the build kit. If for example you
can buy a Shimano 105-based kit for $1200, there are brand new Scott
CR1 with that same build that can be had for ~$1900,. Sois it still
reasonable to plunk down $675 on a used frame?
  #7  
Old May 6th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,270
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

On May 6, 3:09*pm, Doug T wrote:
On May 6, 1:30*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:

Op 6-5-2011 19:03, Doug T schreef:


I'm kooking to buy a lightly used Scott Team frameset / fork and build
it up. The asking price is $675 which seems a bit steep considering
that decent build kits cost $1200 and up. Any thoughts on what I
should offer? Thanks.


If in good condition 675 USD is a fair price IMO. I know what I paid for
that frameset. What a build up kit costs has nothing to do with it BTW.


Lou


Thanks, but here's my reasoning on the build kit. If for example you
can buy a Shimano 105-based kit for $1200, there are brand new Scott
CR1 with that same build that can be had for ~$1900,. Sois it still
reasonable to plunk down $675 on a used frame?


Hi there.

If you are saying that it is only 105 group package that you'd get for
$1200.00 (that is do you need to get rims and and spokes nd then have
or build the wheels yourself?) plus another $675.00 for a used frame
which means your package totals only $25.00 less than a brand new bike
with full warranty and a know frame (meaning you know it hasn't been
abused in any way) then no, in my opinion a savings of just $25.00 is
not worth the price of a used frame. In fact, I bet with the shipping
of the used frame (as opposed to getting a bike from your local shop)
that you'l spend more than the $1900.00 for an entire bike. Then again
there will be the tax on the new bike to consider. I'd go for the new
bike just for the peace of mind regarding the integrity of the frame
and also the warranty you get with a new bike.

Cheers from Peter
  #8  
Old May 7th 11, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,658
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork


"Doug T" wrote in message
...

Thanks, but here's my reasoning on the build kit. If for example you
can buy a Shimano 105-based kit for $1200, there are brand new Scott
CR1 with that same build that can be had for ~$1900,. Sois it still
reasonable to plunk down $675 on a used frame?


"Reasonable" is an interesting word in this context. It is not unreasonable
that those are the prices of these things. Whether it is sensible for you to
approach building up a bike that way is another thing entirely.

A complete bike almost always costs less than the retail parts price. That's
one reason you find so many parted out bikes that didn't sell. Or rather why
you find so many unboxed parts and frames for sale.

It is reasonable to plunk down $675 for a used frame if that is the best
price for a frame that best suits you.



  #9  
Old May 7th 11, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,098
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork

On May 6, 4:38 pm, "Ronsonic" wrote:
"Doug T" wrote in message

...



Thanks, but here's my reasoning on the build kit. If for example you
can buy a Shimano 105-based kit for $1200, there are brand new Scott
CR1 with that same build that can be had for ~$1900,. Sois it still
reasonable to plunk down $675 on a used frame?


"Reasonable" is an interesting word in this context. It is not unreasonable
that those are the prices of these things. Whether it is sensible for you to
approach building up a bike that way is another thing entirely.

A complete bike almost always costs less than the retail parts price. That's
one reason you find so many parted out bikes that didn't sell. Or rather why
you find so many unboxed parts and frames for sale.

It is reasonable to plunk down $675 for a used frame if that is the best
price for a frame that best suits you.


Or even if it's not the best price, if there are other reasons it's
worth owning *that* frame or buying it from *that* seller. Worth is
not all about getting the most and paying the least. Money is weird.
  #10  
Old May 7th 11, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,658
Default Fair price for a 2009 Scott Team frameset with fork


"Dan O" wrote in message
...
On May 6, 4:38 pm, "Ronsonic" wrote:
"Doug T" wrote in message

...



Thanks, but here's my reasoning on the build kit. If for example you
can buy a Shimano 105-based kit for $1200, there are brand new Scott
CR1 with that same build that can be had for ~$1900,. Sois it still
reasonable to plunk down $675 on a used frame?


"Reasonable" is an interesting word in this context. It is not
unreasonable
that those are the prices of these things. Whether it is sensible for you
to
approach building up a bike that way is another thing entirely.

A complete bike almost always costs less than the retail parts price.
That's
one reason you find so many parted out bikes that didn't sell. Or rather
why
you find so many unboxed parts and frames for sale.

It is reasonable to plunk down $675 for a used frame if that is the best
price for a frame that best suits you.


Or even if it's not the best price, if there are other reasons it's
worth owning *that* frame or buying it from *that* seller. Worth is
not all about getting the most and paying the least. Money is weird.


True. Economics as a field would be really simple and small if it were that
simple.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Scott Team Cyclocross frame & fork Oskar Marketplace 0 December 28th 06 03:34 PM
FS: Scott Team cyclocross frame/fork Oskar Marketplace 4 November 2nd 06 02:20 AM
What's a fair price for this bike? Smokey Techniques 6 September 23rd 06 06:52 PM
Fair price? ClownGodfather Mountain Biking 2 August 15th 05 11:15 AM
fair price for a summit frame General Dibbles Unicycling 3 January 2nd 05 12:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.