Bar Ends: Flush or slightly inset?

Old November 11th 04, 08:52 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Bar Ends: Flush or slightly inset?

I think I've figured out how wide I want my bars and right now there's about
1.5" of bar sticking out from each bar end.

I'm going to trim the bars with a pipe cutter. Should I leave, say, 1/4"
sticking out past the bar ends or cut them flush?

I guess this is an engineering question about the collapsability of the bar
tubing under the load of pulling on the bar ends when climbing.
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 11th 04, 09:27 PM
Shawn

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
I think I've figured out how wide I want my bars and right now there's about
1.5" of bar sticking out from each bar end.

I'm going to trim the bars with a pipe cutter. Should I leave, say, 1/4"
sticking out past the bar ends or cut them flush?

I guess this is an engineering question about the collapsability of the bar
tubing under the load of pulling on the bar ends when climbing.

Flush. Never heard of problems with the end of the bar crushing. Don't
know about carbon fiber bars (Mmm chewy).
And think of the weight savings.;-)

Shawn
Old November 12th 04, 01:21 AM
Paladin

"Shawn" wrote in message
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
I think I've figured out how wide I want my bars and right now there's
about
1.5" of bar sticking out from each bar end.

I'm going to trim the bars with a pipe cutter. Should I leave, say,
1/4"
sticking out past the bar ends or cut them flush?

I guess this is an engineering question about the collapsability of the
bar
tubing under the load of pulling on the bar ends when climbing.

Flush. Never heard of problems with the end of the bar crushing. Don't
know about carbon fiber bars (Mmm chewy).
And think of the weight savings.;-)

Shawn

I'd recommend some aluminum plugs made for that purpose, (and yes, they're
out there) so that you don't crush the bar with the torque of setting the
bar -ends or from reefing on them. Or just forget the whole 90's notion of
bar ends altogether.... ;~D

paladin

Old November 12th 04, 01:26 AM
David

"Paladin" wrote in message ...

Or just forget the whole 90's notion of bar ends altogether.... ;~D

I liked 'em because they made up for the 90's notion of really narrow XC bars.
With bars of a comfortable width they they aren't as useful

Old November 12th 04, 02:01 AM
Ryffel

I'd cut them flush, I've never had any problem with them that way, but like
the other guys said, I haven't used them in years.

--
Dave DeCarr

Old November 12th 04, 04:33 AM
isthisane

I still use bar ends and find them especially useful for climbing. It's good
to give your hands a different riding position to keep them from fatiguing.
If you are riding tight eastern singletrack keep the bars cropped flush with
the bar ends. You don't want to snag a tree on a tight corner. Plugs are a
good thing too. If you check out professional x-country racers, you'll find
that almost all use flat bars and bar ends. They must know something. Wide
riser bars make sense on downhill rigs.

Old November 12th 04, 05:15 AM
Mark Hickey

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:

I think I've figured out how wide I want my bars and right now there's about
1.5" of bar sticking out from each bar end.

I'm going to trim the bars with a pipe cutter. Should I leave, say, 1/4"
sticking out past the bar ends or cut them flush?

I guess this is an engineering question about the collapsability of the bar
tubing under the load of pulling on the bar ends when climbing.

I'd suggest leaving the ends of the clamps flush (or maybe even 1mm
inset) from the ends of the bar. That will produce the most robust
interface between the two surfaces, and will put a full contact point
between them at the point of greatest pressure when you're climbing
out of the saddle.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Bar Ends: Something to compensate for sweep? (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 3 June 19th 04 03:33 AM
Increasing distance? Doki UK 47 April 1st 04 09:09 AM
Fitting bar ends, to cut or not Slash Mountain Biking 13 August 12th 03 10:01 AM