Hallo! Anyone knows, where I can buy good cycling maps(guides) in London?

Old April 29th 06, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Hallo! Anyone knows, where I can buy good cycling maps(guides) in London?

I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
they good maps?
Thank you in advance

Old April 29th 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"klimek" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
they good maps?

They are not very good at all. They lack detail.

You can't beat going into a well stocked shop and eyeballing the maps for
yourself.

As for a place in London...how about Foyles?

The better ranches of bookshop chains normally have a good range of maps -
at least the ones in Leeds do.

Old April 29th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"klimek" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
they good maps?
Thank you in advance

Sustrans deal only ( or mainly) in UK maps and many of those are directly
tied to the Sustrans routes which wander all over the place in their efforts
to avoid roads!

If you want to buy on Net I suggest you have a look at www.Stanfords.co.uk
who are very good. But as Vernon says above it is best to go and have a look
at what you are buying in a real shop.

I have bought from Amazon occasionally but they sometimes take an age to
deliver and have let me down on a few occasions. But they aren't very "map
orientated"!

You can also look at www.esterbauer.com for a whole range of cycling
specific maps and guides covering much of Europe but the site is in German!
And I don't think that they actually sell from there when I think about
t -- but you get a good idea of the sort of detail available.
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old April 29th 06, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

klimek wrote:
I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
they good maps?
Thank you in advance

Not really sure what criteria makes a good cycling map.

In germany I have ADAC maps (equivalent of AA), which clearly identify
cyclepaths, footpaths, including the national and European route numbers.

In Holland, I used to use Falk (or is it Valk?), which were very similar.

Both the above are 'the standard' maps locally... ie walk into any
bookstore, tourist info, ADAC shop etc and that's what you'll see. ADAC
has key in German, English and French. The Dutch ones I cant remember.

Belgium? I'd guess they have the Valk/Falk ones too.

--
AndyM.
Old April 30th 06, 03:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Pinky" wrote in message
. uk...

If you want to buy on Net I suggest you have a look
at www.Stanfords.co.uk who are very good. But as
Vernon says above it is best to go and have a look at what you are buying
in a real shop.

Also try this shop...
http://www.mapstore.co.uk/

Old April 30th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"vernon" wrote in message

"klimek" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
they good maps?

They are not very good at all. They lack detail.

You can't beat going into a well stocked shop and eyeballing the maps for
yourself.

As for a place in London...how about Foyles?

The better ranches of bookshop chains normally have a good range of maps -
at least the ones in Leeds do.

I'll expand upon my previous answer,

The original poster's link leads to the generic index of Sustrans maps.
Sustrans maps of the NCN routes are very good providing one does not stray
off the strips surrounding the route

The maps for Germany, Holland and Belgium are dire and are not created byor
for Sustrans. Last year I looked at the French one in a book shop with a
view of using it for a Channel to Med ride - it was totally useless. There
was insufficient detail off route for it to be useful. The amount of
on-route info was barely useable . To make sure that it wasn't an
aberration I looked at the Begian and Dutch maps and they too were devoid of
useful infomation.

Old May 5th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

klimek wrote:
I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
they good maps?
Thank you in advance

Just got a new ADFC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Fahrrad-Club) map. Covers
the local area in Germany, with all the cycle routes, indicating all the
local, regional and European route numbers (both cycle and walking
routes), and ADFC's own recommended tours.

Better still, being a 'cycling' map, the point-to-point distance markers
are all for the cycle/walking routes, as are the single/double arrows
indicating steepness of hills. Even indicates danger spots where a
cycle track has to briefly share a busy road.

http://www.adfc.de
(all in German, and the online shop is totally rubbish!)

They are made by Meki afaict. This is the one I have...
http://www.meki-landkarten.de/produk...ten_da-di.html

--
AndyM.
Old May 7th 06, 06:56 PM
Bergstrasse Biker Bergstrasse Biker is offline
Junior Member

Location: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
klimek wrote:
I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
they good maps?
Thank you in advance

Just got a new ADFC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Fahrrad-Club) map. Covers
the local area in Germany, with all the cycle routes, indicating all the
local, regional and European route numbers (both cycle and walking
routes), and ADFC's own recommended tours.
There are 3 sets of ADFC maps: 1:175000, 1:75000 and the 1:30000 maps Andy mentioned above. The first sets of maps are published by BVA (www.fahrrad-buecher-karten.de or www.bva-bielefeld.de) who publish their maps in German but will send you a key to the map symbols in English.
The best advice is really to wait until you arrive in the country and buy the maps there. They are cheaper. We have written some information about on free maps about cycling in German on our blog site: http://europeancycling.blogspot.com.

Last edited by Bergstrasse Biker : May 7th 06 at 07:03 PM.