Zabel confesses too

Old May 24th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jason Spaceman

Default Zabel confesses too

From the article:
2 More Ex-Telekom Riders Admit to Doping

By NESHA STARCEVIC
The Associated Press
Thursday, May 24, 2007; 6:34 AM

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Eric Zabel and Rolf Aldag, former teammates of
two Tour de France winners, admitted Thursday that they took
performance-enhancing drugs while riding for the Telekom team in the
1990s.

Speaking at a nationally televised news conference, both said they
took EPO. Both apologized and Zabel broke into tears during his
confession.

Aldag is now sporting director of the T-Mobile team, previously known
as Telekom. Zabel, a prominent sprinter, now rides for Milram.

Both were on the Telekom team when its riders won the Tour de France _
Bjarne Riis in 1996 and Jan Ullrich in 1997.

Aldag said he first took the blood booster EPO before the Tour in
1995, while Zabel said he took it in 1996.

Read it at

J. Spaceman
Old May 24th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jason Spaceman

Video of Zabel's confession is at http://tinyurl.com/26kck6

Video of Aldag's confession is at http://tinyurl.com/2e4d2v

Both require RealPlayer to view, and both are entirely in German. If
you wait for a few hours I wouldn't be surprised if the entire press
conference shows up on YouTube.

J. Spaceman
Old May 24th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
billb

On May 24, 7:04 am, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
From the article:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----
[...]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------

Read it athttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/24/AR200...

J. Spaceman

Where's Mr. Riis? Will he out himself, or wait for others to do it to/
for him?
Best,
Bill Black

Old May 24th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Dans le message de ,
Jason Spaceman a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
Video of Zabel's confession is at http://tinyurl.com/26kck6

Video of Aldag's confession is at http://tinyurl.com/2e4d2v

Both require RealPlayer to view, and both are entirely in German. If
you wait for a few hours I wouldn't be surprised if the entire press
conference shows up on YouTube.

J. Spaceman

Thank you. Bravo to those who open up. Telling hurts, but not telling
hurts even more. Bravo, also to Gerolsteiner and Telekom, for not
dismissing persons who break the code of silence, and I can only hope the
same is for Milram. Our main loss is the inability to say who, among all
racers who say nothing, is a truly natural supertalent.

The Sport is Dead. Long live the sport.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old May 24th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On May 24, 8:13 am, "Sandy" wrote:
Dans le message ,
[...]

Odo bolts too. From what's being said seems like they either did it or
were gone.
Bill C

Old May 24th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Gregory

Sandy wrote:

The Sport is Dead. Long live the sport.

Vive le Sport!!
;-)
Old May 24th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Sandy wrote:
Thank you. Bravo to those who open up. Telling hurts, but not telling
hurts even more. Bravo, also to Gerolsteiner and Telekom, for not
dismissing persons who break the code of silence, and I can only hope the
same is for Milram. Our main loss is the inability to say who, among all
racers who say nothing, is a truly natural supertalent.

The Sport is Dead. Long live the sport.

Why am I the only one to notice that he hasn't opened up?
Are we to believe that this was all in the past, nothing
in the present?

People have commented in the past about how unreasonable
the length of season he's been riding was. I guess aside
from those few instances in the distant past he's been a
supertalent.

Bob Schwartz
Old May 24th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:13:12 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

Dans le message de ,
Jason Spaceman a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
Video of Zabel's confession is at http://tinyurl.com/26kck6

Video of Aldag's confession is at http://tinyurl.com/2e4d2v

Both require RealPlayer to view, and both are entirely in German. If
you wait for a few hours I wouldn't be surprised if the entire press
conference shows up on YouTube.

J. Spaceman

Thank you. Bravo to those who open up. Telling hurts, but not telling
hurts even more.

Some things really are better not told - didn't Greg Lemond give us an example
of that.

I doubt that telling is going to help. If history is anything to go by the
officials will scream that this only proves the code of silence and that an
example should be made - these guys will have their palmares questioned, or
revoked, and everyone else will go on - happy they weren't dumb enough to talk
about it.

Bravo, also to Gerolsteiner and Telekom, for not
dismissing persons who break the code of silence, and I can only hope the
same is for Milram. Our main loss is the inability to say who, among all
racers who say nothing, is a truly natural supertalent.

Unless I am totally wrong, the truly natural supertalents were doping as well.
Joe Papp took all that crap and was still racing in Turkey.

I agree with you that the teams were right to not fire these guys, but we
haven't heard from UCI, ProTour, Prudhomme, or most important Pound, Dick yet.
They'll probably insist on dismissal. After all, having riders come out and
expose the doping would destroy the adversarial approach to PED enforcement and
without that it's impossible for Dick Pound to win. Can't win without an enemy
to defeat.

The Sport is Dead. Long live the sport.

Well, we'll all keep riding anyway....

Ron

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

Old May 24th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 24, 8:13 am, "Sandy" wrote:

J. Spaceman

Thank you. Bravo to those who open up.

dumbasses,

the reaction on rbr to these admissions of guilt is nauseating.

i know for all the fanboys it is gratifying when a rbr man-crush zabel
gives you the truth, but it was only after the whole 90s team was
exposed (or in imminent danger of beng exposed) after this jef d'hont
book and subsequent confessions by the team docs.

i don't see the same outpouring for the team docs, guys like lemond or
the soigneur who precipitated this series of events.

it goes back to the whole mentality of handling athletes with kid
gloves, not holding them accountable and a willingness to forgive them
no matter how much they **** up. we praise them for being honest, when
there really isn't another choice, but we don't extend the same to ex-
riders, docs or writers who really want a clean sport.

guys like zabel and aldag made millions and enjoyed plenty of glory
and they used drugs occsionally or consistenly to achieve those
things.

is zabel going to give back his millions and sell his apartment which
houses his collection of historic bikes and live like a $40,000/yr
schmoe ? i doubt it.

it may have been the climate of the sport at the time, but they had a
choice.

Old May 24th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Dans le message de
ups.com,
a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
On May 24, 8:13 am, "Sandy" wrote:

J. Spaceman

Thank you. Bravo to those who open up.

dumbasses,

the reaction on rbr to these admissions of guilt is nauseating.

When you grow up, you'll understand.

i don't see the same outpouring for the team docs, guys like lemond or
the soigneur who precipitated this series of events.

You must not read very many messages.

it goes back to the whole mentality of handling athletes with kid
gloves, not holding them accountable and a willingness to forgive them
no matter how much they **** up. we praise them for being honest, when
there really isn't another choice, but we don't extend the same to ex-
riders, docs or writers who really want a clean sport.

Why do you want to limit this to sports ? I'm not. My reaction is to the
human situation, not to some tiny class.

guys like zabel and aldag made millions and enjoyed plenty of glory
and they used drugs occsionally or consistenly to achieve those
things.

OK - you get to prosecute the next case with your talents.

is zabel going to give back his millions and sell his apartment which
houses his collection of historic bikes and live like a $40,000/yr
schmoe ? i doubt it.

Envy is hard to hide, isn't it ?

it may have been the climate of the sport at the time, but they had a
choice.

They made bad ones, and now they are making better ones.

Aldag confesses Jason Spaceman Racing 2 May 24th 07 03:32 PM
Museeuw confesses the use of Aranesp Vamos Racing 8 January 29th 07 06:47 PM
OJ Confesses: Tyler Did It Tyler Hamillton Racing 0 April 20th 05 05:45 AM
Lance confesses! crit PRO Racing 0 April 19th 05 03:08 AM
Millar confesses - allegedly Will H UK 15 June 27th 04 08:11 PM