Riis admits to EPO... ESPN gets it before bike sites

Old May 25th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Riis admits to EPO... ESPN gets it before bike sites

ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

Great to get mainstream publicity, I guess???

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 25th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
7h@ch

On May 25, 8:32 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

Great to get mainstream publicity, I guess???

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Dude, even wikipedia got it before bike sites.

Old May 25th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On May 25, 9:32 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

I watched the live video feed (not in English) but MSNBC was the first
place I saw a written summary (In English) of what was said.

The ESPN site said:
"Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour,
and indicated he would be willing to give back the title."

So the 1996 Maillot Jaune would now go to the runner-up? And that
would be ... Oops, never mind.

DR

Old May 25th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Gregory

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

I saw it first on
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20070525_170254Dev.html
Old May 25th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

DirtRoadie wrote:
The ESPN site said:
"Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour,
and indicated he would be willing to give back the title."

So the 1996 Maillot Jaune would now go to the runner-up? And that
would be ... Oops, never mind.

Let's expand in that a little:

1 Bjarne Riis DK 95 57'16"
2 Jan Ullrich D 1'41"
3 Richard Virenque F 4'37"
4 Laurent Dufaux CH 5'53"
5 Peter Luttenberger AUT 7'07"
6 Luc Leblanc F 10'03"
7 Piotr Ugrumov LET 10'04"
8 Fernando Escartin E 10'26"
9 Abraham Olano E 11'00"
10 Tony Rominger CH 11'53"

Who would you give the jersey to?

Bjarne should just keep it.

Bob Schwartz
Old May 25th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Gregory

Bob Schwartz wrote:

Who would you give the jersey to?

39. Chris Boardman (Gbr) à 1h27'44"
Old May 25th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 25, 10:32 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

Great to get mainstream publicity, I guess???

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Maybe because they were too busy covering actual racing?

Old May 25th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Dans le message de t,
Bob Schwartz a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
DirtRoadie wrote:
The ESPN site said:
"Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour,
and indicated he would be willing to give back the title."

So the 1996 Maillot Jaune would now go to the runner-up? And that
would be ... Oops, never mind.

Let's expand in that a little:

1 Bjarne Riis DK 95 57'16"
2 Jan Ullrich D 1'41"
3 Richard Virenque F 4'37"
4 Laurent Dufaux CH 5'53"
5 Peter Luttenberger AUT 7'07"
6 Luc Leblanc F 10'03"
7 Piotr Ugrumov LET 10'04"
8 Fernando Escartin E 10'26"
9 Abraham Olano E 11'00"
10 Tony Rominger CH 11'53"

Who would you give the jersey to?

Bjarne should just keep it.

Bob Schwartz

EXACTLY! it's only the little minds on RBR who have some unimaginable stake
in changing all the results. The riders know that it is irrelevant.

I get the feeling that some writers, here, want to go back to their bookies
to settle scores. Cycle racing is something they just plain don't
understand.

Old May 25th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Dans le message de ,
Dan Gregory a réfléchi, et puis
a déclaré :
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession
well ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I
expected.

I saw it first on
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20070525_170254Dev.html

No, I did - RSS. This is a racing forum, remember.

Old May 25th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Dans le message . net,

DirtRoadie wrote:
The ESPN site said:
[...]

understand.- Hide quoted text -

Hopefully they do what is right and give the jersey to Virenque, since
T Mobile was full of dopers. FRANCE WINS! FRANCE WINS!!!!

RVD