don't mess with Bobke

Old July 20th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Meg Worley

Default don't mess with Bobke

This morning's coverage provided a great Liggettism, but minus the Liggett:
"We'll see who's wearing what foot in a few minutes..." poor Al promised
us, but I blame Bobke. He had just finished spinning out a chain of
tortured metaphors (as only Bob can), and Al was just trying to be a
good sport. Or maybe he was trying to stop the metaphor carnage.

I haven't heard much in the way of Liggettisms this year. Could Phil
be getting old?

Rage away,

meg

--

Meg Worley _._ _._ Comparatively Literate
Old July 20th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bob sullivan

Meg Worley wrote:
This morning's coverage provided a great Liggettism, but minus the Liggett:
"We'll see who's wearing what foot in a few minutes..." poor Al promised
us, but I blame Bobke. He had just finished spinning out a chain of
tortured metaphors (as only Bob can), and Al was just trying to be a
good sport. Or maybe he was trying to stop the metaphor carnage.

I haven't heard much in the way of Liggettisms this year. Could Phil
be getting old?

Rage away,

meg

And I haven't heard Paul say 'suitcase of courage' even once... Maybe
I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

I think the guys are definitely slipping, though; they've gone entire
days without referring to the leader being 'resplendent in the yellow
jersey'.

~bob s.
Old July 20th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jul 20, 12:16 pm, bob sullivan wrote:
Meg Worley wrote:
This morning's coverage provided a great Liggettism, but minus the Liggett:
"We'll see who's wearing what foot in a few minutes..." poor Al promised
us, but I blame Bobke. He had just finished spinning out a chain of
tortured metaphors (as only Bob can), and Al was just trying to be a
good sport. Or maybe he was trying to stop the metaphor carnage.

I haven't heard much in the way of Liggettisms this year. Could Phil
be getting old?

Was it the gray hair that gave it away?

And I haven't heard Paul say 'suitcase of courage' even once... Maybe
I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

From Wiki:

Examples of his "Liggettisms":

* He's dancing on his pedals in a most immodest way!
* He climbs like an angel!
* He's wearing the mask of pain.
* He's crazy. He's always been crazy. And what on EARTH is he
doing?
* This is a pedigree group of men, they are holding on by the skin
of their shorts.
* And who is that in the background? That looks like Stephen
Roche! IT LOOKS LIKE STEPHEN ROCHE!
* His bike actually weighs less than 1 kg. It's a dream going up
the hill, but he'll be blown away going down it.
* We now watch the riders make their way up the mountain road,
chosen by the road department as the least arduous path. I can tell
you right now these riders would disagree with their choice.
* Now if I were an Olympic cycling judge-which as it happens I am-
I'd say that was alright.
* That is twenty-one miles of pure purgatory.
* He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage.
* These are the great adventurers of the Tour De France, and the
spirit of the race for all to see. Go out and see what you can do.
* Paul [Sherwen], with this attack the chicken skin is about to
fall.

I think the guys are definitely slipping, though; they've gone entire
days without referring to the leader being 'resplendent in the yellow
jersey'.

The peloton sure has been angry, though.

Old July 20th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

bob sullivan wrote:

I think the guys are definitely slipping, though; they've gone entire
days without referring to the leader being 'resplendent in the yellow
jersey'.

I particularly like the consistent use of the word "scurry". Puts a song
in my heart every time g

Bill
Old July 21st 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 21, 11:53 am, samson wrote:

Phil's got a lot left in the tank, but he is slipping.
He's misidentifying riders, sometimes even using the names
of riders who retired like 10 years ago. Paul gently corrects
him to keep the misinformation to a minimum.

if he's slipping he's been slipping for ten years. when he makes a
slip (like calling wegmann wegmuller) we notice it, but he keeps the
flow going. bob roll might deliberate everything he says, but we're
also treated to long pauses in the middle of sentences.

Old July 21st 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Meg Worley

samson writes:
I don't think Bobke ums and ahs that much. Bobke
also has a great memory for riders, palmares, and
course details. He's a caveman, yes, but a caveman
with a lot of smarts.

And he's faux-caveman at that. All his Tour Day France and VIH-no-CUR-off
is every bit as affected as if I decided to speak with an English accent.

I love Bobke for what he is, but man does he blow at the play-by-play.

Rage away,

meg

--

Meg Worley _._ _._ Comparatively Literate
Old July 21st 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Meg Worley

bob s. writes:
And I haven't heard Paul say 'suitcase of courage' even once... Maybe
I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Or "lost his bottle"! Ah, I miss "lost his bottle." I paid special
attention to the commentary about Mayo (who definitely lost his bottle
today), but all the phrases were so dull, Adrian Karstens could have
uttered them.

I think the guys are definitely slipping, though; they've gone entire
days without referring to the leader being 'resplendent in the yellow
jersey'.

Although when Rasmussen in his resplendent yellow jersey overtook
Valverde (I think it was), Paul said, "He's just seen the sun!"

Rage away,

meg

--

Meg Worley _._ _._ Comparatively Literate

for all you fans who love to hate Bobke Snippy Bobkins Racing 0 July 24th 06 03:07 PM
What does Bobke have against Floyd? yeahyeah Racing 14 July 19th 06 02:44 AM
Agree with Bobke.. Jaybee Racing 13 July 4th 05 07:48 AM
I'd rather ride with Bobke...! Arous Racing 10 July 26th 04 08:24 AM
Bobke + Telestrator = Arous Racing 2 July 11th 03 09:12 PM