Unusual Cycling Hazard

Old July 12th 11, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Default Unusual Cycling Hazard

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUgUhu5Vd0&feature=player_embedded#at=90 .

So much for Mopar quality.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 12th 11, 09:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tºm Shermªn wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5CUgUhu5Vd0

So much for Mopar quality.

The guy with the beard bike needs to learn to trim his front
derailleur, or fix whatever's wrong with it.

Maybe he has a hard time convincing a legitimate bike shop to work on
his ride.

Chalo
Old July 12th 11, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 7/12/2011 3:08 AM, Chalo Colina wrote:
Tºm Shermªn wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5CUgUhu5Vd0

So much for Mopar quality.

The guy with the beard bike needs to learn to trim his front
derailleur, or fix whatever's wrong with it.

Think it is the rear derailer indexing being off.

Maybe he has a hard time convincing a legitimate bike shop to work on
his ride.

His bike worked well enough to finish the ride. Cannot say the same
about the Mopar product.

Old July 12th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 12 jul, 09:18, Tºm Shermªn °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUgUhu5Vd0&feature=player_embedded#a....

So much for Mopar quality.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Sandals, bare feet and bad toenails. Disgusting.

Lou
Old July 12th 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 12, 3:08*am, Chalo wrote:
Tºm Shermªn wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5CUgUhu5Vd0

So much for Mopar quality.

The guy with the beard bike needs to learn to trim his front
derailleur, or fix whatever's wrong with it.

Maybe he has a hard time convincing a legitimate bike shop to work on
his ride.

Q: When is a crossed chain even worse?
A: When it's on a bent.

Phew, ugly nasty feet. Of course, when you ride a bent I guess you get
used to that sort of thing...

Surprising, it's usually the electrical system that fails on Dodge
trucks.
--D-y
Old July 13th 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 7/12/2011 12:26 PM, wrote:
On Jul 12, 3:08 am, wrote:
Tºm Shermªn wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5CUgUhu5Vd0

So much for Mopar quality.

The guy with the beard bike needs to learn to trim his front
derailleur, or fix whatever's wrong with it.

Maybe he has a hard time convincing a legitimate bike shop to work on
his ride.

Q: When is a crossed chain even worse?
A: When it's on a bent.
[...]

Not true. Cross-chaining is less of a problem with a longer chain, and
does not exist with a mid-drive.

Old July 13th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

"So much for Mopar quality."

"It's the axle retaining clip..."

Wrong. The Dodge dually uses a Dana 70 differential and axle assembly.
Did you ever see one? It's a really huge mofo with a 10-1/2" diameter
ring gear. Most truck manufacturers spec it on 5-ton trucks, while
Mopar uses it on a one-ton. And it definitely does not use an axle
retaining clip like smaller differentials sometimes do. It uses two
locking axle retaining nuts on each axle with an indexed lockwasher
between them to keep them from loosening, the same as a standard
headset does. If that one loosened, then somebody didn't lock the
retaining nuts.

"Surprising, it's usually the electrical system that fails on Dodge
trucks."

Chrysler electrical systems are no worse than any other brand. And at
least they never tried "green" insulation on their wiring harnesses
like some of the European manufacturers did.

You self-professed Mopar experts have been reading Consumer"s Reports
too much.

Old July 13th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 7/12/2011 3:18 AM, Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUgUhu5Vd0&feature=player_embedded#at=90 .

So much for Mopar quality.

It's not all that unusual a hazard. Crap is always falling off/out of
vehicles. I was following a guy on a long descent who dropped a
driveshaft. He never noticed. This guy probably forgot to tighten
something, that was probably his wrench several miles back.

I mountain bike on a trail that runs at the bottom of a ravine, whose
top is the shoulder of an interstate. The debris at the bottom has
apparently been collecting for decades. The amount of crap is amazing,
and that's just the stuff that made it over the guard rail. A modern-day
midden.
Old July 13th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jul 13, 6:44*am, Peter Cole wrote:
On 7/12/2011 3:18 AM, Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUgUhu5Vd0&feature=player_embedded#a....

So much for Mopar quality.

It's not all that unusual a hazard. Crap is always falling off/out of
vehicles. I was following a guy on a long descent who dropped a
driveshaft. He never noticed. This guy probably forgot to tighten
something, that was probably his wrench several miles back.

I mountain bike on a trail that runs at the bottom of a ravine, whose
top is the shoulder of an interstate. The debris at the bottom has
apparently been collecting for decades. The amount of crap is amazing,
and that's just the stuff that made it over the guard rail. A modern-day
midden.

There is a place on HWY 18 in a heavily forested area on the way out
to the Oregon coast where there is a persistent pot hole. I hit that
pot hole, and it popped-off my hub cap -- which rolled off in to the
forest. I stopped my car and went hunting for my hub cap. As it
turned out, just beyond the road edge, the forest dropped down a
hillside in to a small ravine filled with ferns . . . and hubcaps.
There must have been hundreds. It was like some forest gnome hubcap
kingdom. Around here somewhere. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4279167...n/photostream/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 13th 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 13, 8:26*am, Bill wrote:
[...]

Yes, just a swipe-- but, my Dodge broke electrically so much they
bought me a new Chevy. Fortunately, an automatic so I didn't have to
crawl under and unjam the shift linkage as with another, earlier work
vehicle from The General. I mean, I'm only woofin' in the cause of
humor here, because the broken truck bought me some on-bike ride time
and I didn't tell the boss what I was doing with my vacation, either.

BTW: "No worse than any other" is not exactly high praise g. Talking
"Euro" is reaching.
--D-y