Colder Weather: Harder To Ride?

Old December 29th 03, 08:54 PM
supabonbon

Default Colder Weather: Harder To Ride?

"Jon Bond" wrote in message ...
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
Is it just me?

I definately get out of breath sooner when it's 40-ish than when it's

60-ish.

Doesn't seem logical. Seems like the cooler air should have more O2 in

it per
unit volume, for one.

OTOH, I'm not getting the same miles in as during warm weather.
OTOOH, I've been doing the StairMaster pretty regularly....

Seems like an annual occurrance.

Anybody else?
--
PeteCresswell

As for cold air, i can barely exercise at all in it.

Cold air is an irritant for your lungs - it makes things constrict more, and
the shock of that cold air causes funny nerve stuff to happen. For those of
us with asthma, that can lead to nasty attacks.

For the rest of you, it basically comes down to this: your body can't use
the cold air well. It needs to heat it up closer to normal room temperature
before it effectively removes the oxygen and replaces it with co2. What
this means physiologically is your bronchioles (and all airways, for that
matter) can't be as wide as they normally would be, because the cold air
would get way down in the lungs really quickly. So you can't take in as
much air as fast as you can, you waste energy heating up that air, and its
still not quite as efficient.

or something like that.

Jon Bond

That's a little scary. I've been having some breathing problems
lately, on and off the bike -- trouble completing a yawn, often
feeling a little short of breath, that sort of thing. Nothing serious,
but with all the smog and crud in the air around here plus the cold,
I'm concerned that I may have asthma.
/s
Old December 29th 03, 09:37 PM
Carla A-G

"supabonbon" wrote in message
om...
That's a little scary. I've been having some breathing problems
lately, on and off the bike -- trouble completing a yawn, often
feeling a little short of breath, that sort of thing. Nothing serious,
but with all the smog and crud in the air around here plus the cold,
I'm concerned that I may have asthma.

Leave NYC, its killing you.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old December 29th 03, 10:29 PM
Shawn Curry

supabonbon wrote:
"Jon Bond" wrote in message ...

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

The yawning problem sounds really similar to how I used to feel long
before I was diagnosed with (mild) asthma. I just couldn't fill my lungs
and get a good satisfying yawn. Made me a real grouch. See a doc.
Just treating the symptoms of asthma (e.g. with Primatine or herbal
remedies) can end up making it worse. The underlying
irritation/inflammation in the lungs needs to be treated. See a doc.
Proper treatment can feel like a ****ing miracle!

Cheers,
Shawn

P.S. Did I say see a doctor?

Old December 29th 03, 10:34 PM
Jon Bond

"Jon Bond" wrote in message

[...]

Might not be asthma so much as irritation, but it wouldn't hurt to have it
checked out. Basically they take a lung volume/flow rate reading, then give
you a puff of an inhaler, and take the results again. Don't know about the
yawn thing, though...

and yes, you can develop asthma. My dad thinks his was caused by MTBE,
which is thankfully being phased out of gas now. He'd get attacks at gas
stations, when a really badly tuned car went by, and so on. Never hurts to
have it looked at, though, so go see the doc!

Jon Bond

Old December 29th 03, 10:35 PM
Jon Bond

"Penny S" wrote in message
Fredzep wrote with a lipstick:
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
Is it just me?

I definately get out of breath sooner when it's 40-ish than when
it's 60-ish.

Doesn't seem logical. Seems like the cooler air should have more
O2 in it per unit volume, for one.

OTOH, I'm not getting the same miles in as during warm weather.
OTOOH, I've been doing the StairMaster pretty regularly....

Seems like an annual occurrance.

Anybody else?
--
PeteCresswell

Yes definitely. Don't know exactly why. I'm sure some of the folks
here will be a lot more scientific.

It's a sign that you should be on skis this time of year.

Penny

Apparently somebody doesn't ski hard enough

Jon Bond
if your legs aren't on fire, you better be on the lift....

Old December 29th 03, 10:55 PM
Penny S

Jon Bond wrote with a lipstick:
"Penny S" wrote in message
Yes definitely. Don't know exactly why. I'm sure some of the folks
here will be a lot more scientific.

It's a sign that you should be on skis this time of year.

Penny

Apparently somebody doesn't ski hard enough

Jon Bond
if your legs aren't on fire, you better be on the lift....

if your legs aren't on fire, you were working out/riding and not sitting on
your ass waiting for the snow to fall.

Penny

Old December 30th 03, 12:59 AM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:34:00 -0500, "Jon Bond"
and yes, you can develop asthma. My dad thinks his was caused by MTBE,
which is thankfully being phased out of gas now.

Jon,
Your dad _is_ a doc, no? It's interesting that he thinks his
asthma was caused by MTBE. I get a similar reaction to badly tuned
cars.

Barry
Old December 30th 03, 01:10 AM
Jon Bond

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote
in message ...
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:34:00 -0500, "Jon Bond"
and yes, you can develop asthma. My dad thinks his was caused by MTBE,
which is thankfully being phased out of gas now.

Jon,
Your dad _is_ a doc, no? It's interesting that he thinks his
asthma was caused by MTBE. I get a similar reaction to badly tuned
cars.

Barry

Yep, but orthopedic surgery is a bit different than allergy/respiratory
stuff! Basically asthma is just a respiratory reaction to some irritant or
situation. I get it from exercise (which has a bunch of stuff all to
itself), my sister gets it from second hand smoke (although a lot of that is
mental... she's an interesting one), and so on.

He suspected when he suddenly got symptoms, especially around the situations
I mentioned before, but they showed up directly after MTBE was brought out.

Jon Bond

Old December 30th 03, 01:18 AM
Fred Hinkson

Its your body. Some machines run better in cooler temps
like mine does. And some run better in higher temps not mine.

MTB Ride hard die free.

Old December 30th 03, 01:59 AM
Jonesy

"Penny S" wrote in message ...

It's a sign that you should be on skis this time of year.

I needed a lower-cost hobby, so I took up MTBing. LOL.
--
Jonesy