Phoenix: Does it cool off significantly in late afternoon?

Old April 8th 05, 03:37 AM
Gregg

snip

Do you have a chiller for the pool? Curious about what happens when the
water becomes hotter than a bathtub.

My pool is still covered (as in closed) and will be until mid-May. I am
lucky when the water is 77F in the middle of summer (I'm too cheap to
heat the damn thing).

I do, but it doesn't help that much to cool it. Also, I have a rock
slide/grotto, but the rock is hot so it heats the water too, offsetting
any chiller effect. :-( The kids don't care, they just love sliding
down it.

July/August, it's easy to have nights where the pool water is around
94/95, and the air temp is below that. Feels pretty wild to go swimming
late at night, and the water is warmer than the air.

We have a dark pebble tec, so that contributes to the warmer pool temps.
I'm sure my kids will be swimming this weekend, but Wifey and I won't go
in until the water temp is in the mid 80's. (Ok, we have thin blood here
in AZ).

when you moving out? :-)

Old April 8th 05, 03:48 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Gregg wrote:
[...]

Yeh, night swimming is good here too. Even with 77F water it's still
nice when the air temp is below that. My pool is fiberglass
(pre-formed, dig a hole, and set it in) with a ceramic core. Once it
heats up it pretty much holds it. It's sort of like a giant bathtub. I
got a lot of folks knocking at more door when I put it in last year.
It's not the usual type of pool they put in around here. Then it came
on a huge flatbed truck and crane picked it up over the house and into
the hole. So, since I spent the money I use it from 72F (my written
law). The kids don't seem to ever feel cold in it. It's pretty great
after a hot dirty MTB ride to come back and jump in (bike clothes and all).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old April 8th 05, 03:48 AM
Gregg

snip

Early morning is your best bet. The smog induced inversion and 1000 sq
miles of cement hold the days heat for quite a while into the evening.

Mike

true words of wisdom. Early morning is best.. The old "heat bubble"
keeps getting bigger with all the homes being built. The monsoon
storms that used to roll into Phoenix proper 20+ years ago
are a rarity. The Valley is getting just too hot for the storms
to roll in now.

Old April 8th 05, 03:51 AM
Gregg

snip

It's pretty great
after a hot dirty MTB ride to come back and jump in (bike clothes and all).

my man, I can relate. There's been many a time I've gone in straight
from work, etc... It also feels good to go right in when you get up in
the morning. Nothing like a quick dip before going to work.

Old April 8th 05, 05:43 AM
G.T.

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
Gregg wrote:
[...]

Kids never seem to be cold in the water. We were in Marina Del Rey on
Superbowl Sunday riding the bike path, it's raining, 65 degrees out, the
water is like 59, and there were several kids playing in the water.

Greg

Old April 8th 05, 06:19 AM
Mark Hickey

Gregg [email protected] wrote:

snip

Early morning is your best bet. The smog induced inversion and 1000 sq
miles of cement hold the days heat for quite a while into the evening.

true words of wisdom. Early morning is best.. The old "heat bubble"
keeps getting bigger with all the homes being built. The monsoon
storms that used to roll into Phoenix proper 20+ years ago
are a rarity. The Valley is getting just too hot for the storms
to roll in now.

It was supposedly 95F (35C) this afternoon, but the relative humidity
was only 6% (!) and it felt nice when I walked out this afternoon and
got on my bike. In fact, I never broke a sweat, even while turning
the key or pushing it off its center stand.

Mark "yes I was a girlie man today" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 8th 05, 06:23 AM
Mark Hickey

"routebeer" wrote:

But doesn't setting your clocks forward one hour in the spring actually
extend the morning? Meaning, when you get up at five to go ride, you
can actually get up at six and ride the same or continue to get up at
five and ride an hour more. If that's why you don't obey the time
change then I think that's a poor reason. I've heard it was because AZ
officials don't want children coming home in the dark during the winter
months.

Think about it...

Say a week ago it was getting light at 6:30. That means someone who
has to be at work at 9:00 can squeeze in a couple hours of riding as
long as they don't worry too much about what their hair looks like
when they get to work.

If we "sprung ahead", now that same rider would be starting his ride
at the same "earth time" but it's now 7:30am, leaving him or her only
an hour to ride before having to get ready for work.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 8th 05, 03:38 PM
routebeer

Tlacatecatl wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:23:15 -0700, routebeer wrote
(in article . com):

But doesn't setting your clocks forward one hour in the spring

actually
extend the morning? Meaning, when you get up at five to go ride,

you
can actually get up at six and ride the same or continue to get up

at
five and ride an hour more. If that's why you don't obey the time
change then I think that's a poor reason.

Talking about daylight savings time usually ends up sounding like

something
out of an old Firesign Theater or Monty Python routine.

Actually you have it backwards. Changing to daylight savings time

shortens
the morning but extends the evening.

No clock in the world can shorten the morning and extend the evening at
the same time. Only mother nature can make that happen via the summer
solstice.

So let's say you normally wake up at 4 AM to go ride using standard
time. During daylight savings that 4 AM is 3 AM standard time. So,
you really get an extra hour of darkness from the morning, which given
the INCREDIBLE(!) heat in AZ would be a plus. That was my point. But
yes, it is true that the sun sets an hour later which means sending
your kids to bed with the sun coming through their windows.

Old April 8th 05, 04:32 PM

Tlacatecatl wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:23:15 -0700, routebeer wrote
(in article . com):

But doesn't setting your clocks forward one hour in the spring

actually
extend the morning? Meaning, when you get up at five to go ride,

you
can actually get up at six and ride the same or continue to get up

at
five and ride an hour more. If that's why you don't obey the time
change then I think that's a poor reason.

Talking about daylight savings time

Since "Boat Boy the Spelling Nazi" isn't going to show up, can I point
out that it is Daylight Saving time. There is no "s" at the end of
saving.

usually ends up sounding like something
out of an old Firesign Theater or Monty Python routine.

Or Worse ...

Actually you have it backwards. Changing to daylight savings time

shortens
the morning but extends the evening. Here in AZ

All of Arizona? Having grown up on the rim, I would like to point out
that a good portion of Arizona does observe daylight saving time.

snip

During the summer here it starts getting light about 4:30 in the

morning, but
it's getting dark by 7:30 at night. Many construction workers and

others who
work outside start at 5 am and get off at 2 in the afternoon. That

way
they're already off work when the hottest part of the day comes

between 3 and
5.

Southerners ... Our trails are still under snow.

http://134.114.127.22/jpg/fullsize.jpg

snip

It's as though every one else in the country takes one step forward

while we
stand still, so it ends up looking like we took one step backward.

Remember
that except for Alaska and Hawaii we were the last state to join the

union,
so things really are kind of backwards here. You can really see that

when you
walk down the street and see all the people wearing guns in holsters.

We're
an open carry state, no permit required!

That extra 37 days before statehood is what put Arizona so far behind
New Mexico.

snip

Old April 8th 05, 04:53 PM
G.T.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tlacatecatl wrote:
[...]

Nothing trippier than driving across Arizona in the summer and having the
time change 3 or 4 times.

Greg