Phoenix: Does it cool off significantly in late afternoon?

Old April 8th 05, 04:57 PM

Bingo!

Pretty much everything North of 40 and East of 180 ... plus a couple of
inholdings south of 40.

Old April 10th 05, 06:23 PM

Tlacatecatl wrote:
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:32:57 -0700, wrote
(in article .com):

All of Arizona? Having grown up on the rim, I would like to point

out
that a good portion of Arizona does observe daylight saving time.

The Uniform Time Act of 1966 mandated daylight saving time unless a

state
chose to opt out, and AZ chose to opt out in 1967. But the Navajo

nation
decided that daylight saving time was the right time for them. Today

~95% of
the population of AZ does not observe daylight saving time, but you

have just
won a very prestigious and valuable prize for correctly noting that

there are
~5% who do.

It is not a matter of how many ppl observe daylight saving time. The
Navajo Nation covers a major portion of Northern Arizona. If there were
only three Dine' left, it wouldn't change the fact that daylight saving
time is observed on the res.

This is all assuming of course that we're willing to risk insulting

the
Navajo nation by considering them to be part of AZ.

A portion of the reservation is within the boarders of Arizona,
covering almost half of the state above the rim, that is a geographic
fact. As for whether or not the Dine' are truly an autonomous ppl
within a larger nation can always be argued.

Perhaps it is best said that they are a separate nation with rights
within a larger nation. Consider, that the Dine' have the right to vote
in county and national elections, while non Dine' do not have the right
to vote within Navajo Nation (even if the live or work within the Res,
as I did).

Old April 10th 05, 07:47 PM
Gregg

snip
A portion of the reservation is within the boarders of Arizona,
covering almost half of the state above the rim, that is a geographic
fact. As for whether or not the Dine' are truly an autonomous ppl
within a larger nation can always be argued.

snip

Indeed, a large portion. 1/3rd of our state is Indian Reservation,
another 1/3rd is owned by the Feds and State trust, leaving the remaining
1/3rd for the real estate agents to fight over for the listings.... :-)

(a fellow "zonie".... :-) )

what a nice day for a ride. The windy conditions for the last week
finally died off, (here in the Valley). it's about 70F right now.
Managed to get in a 12 mile ride. My allergies are still killing me.
With all our Jan. & Feb. rain...

Old April 13th 05, 08:39 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Mark Hickey wrote:
Gregg [email protected] wrote:

snip

Early morning is your best bet. The smog induced inversion and
1000 sq miles of cement hold the days heat for quite a while into
the evening.

true words of wisdom. Early morning is best.. The old "heat bubble"
keeps getting bigger with all the homes being built. The monsoon
storms that used to roll into Phoenix proper 20+ years ago
are a rarity. The Valley is getting just too hot for the storms
to roll in now.

It was supposedly 95F (35C) this afternoon, but the relative humidity
was only 6% (!) and it felt nice when I walked out this afternoon and
got on my bike. In fact, I never broke a sweat, even while turning
the key or pushing it off its center stand.

But you should use the side stand, since the triangular area footprint is
larger than the centerstand...
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 13th 05, 02:37 PM
Mark Hickey

"Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:

It was supposedly 95F (35C) this afternoon, but the relative humidity
was only 6% (!) and it felt nice when I walked out this afternoon and
got on my bike. In fact, I never broke a sweat, even while turning
the key or pushing it off its center stand.

But you should use the side stand, since the triangular area footprint is
larger than the centerstand...

Not on my bike ('91 BMW K100RS). I almost never use the side stand
since it's designed to let the bike REALLY lean. It also trips a
ignition kill switch, so I can't let the bike warm up while I put on
my jacket and helmet (D'Oh... the h-word). I guess BMW assumes that
you'd have a hard time trying to accidentally ride off with the bike
up on its center stand (since the rear wheel wouldn't touch the ground
so you'd just sit there looking silly).

But the main reason you don't want to use a side stand in Arizona is
that the asphalt gets soft and the bike could fall over as the stand
is pushed down into the surface. Not likely with the center stand.
It's a big enough problem that in areas that are designated bike
parking, they install wide steel strips on the asphalt to provide a
safe surface for a side stand.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 14th 05, 04:43 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Mark Hickey wrote:
"Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:

[...]

Oh, true. Do you have a flattened water bottle or piece of granite in your
trunk for that side-stand purpose?

That's pretty neat that they put a steel strip for that purpose.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 14th 05, 05:18 AM
Mark Hickey

"Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:

But the main reason you don't want to use a side stand in Arizona is
that the asphalt gets soft and the bike could fall over as the stand
is pushed down into the surface. Not likely with the center stand.
It's a big enough problem that in areas that are designated bike
parking, they install wide steel strips on the asphalt to provide a
safe surface for a side stand.

Oh, true. Do you have a flattened water bottle or piece of granite in your
trunk for that side-stand purpose?

That's pretty neat that they put a steel strip for that purpose.

Naaah, I just never use the side stand - I don't know if all K100 RS's
lean like mine, but it's just not a healthy-looking angle when it's on
the side stand. I always put it on the center stand.

Of course, here in Arizona, it's usually the ONLY bike on the center
stand since most Harleys are leaning at a rakish, but stylish angle
(at least that's my theory).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 14th 05, 03:35 PM
Shaun aRe

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
"Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:

[...]

I cannot believe you just used the words 'Harley' and 'stylish' in the same
sentence. I'm seriously shocked, in fact quite disturbed by that...

Shaun aRe

Old April 15th 05, 03:54 AM
Mark Hickey

"Shaun aRe" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message

Of course, here in Arizona, it's usually the ONLY bike on the center
stand since most Harleys are leaning at a rakish, but stylish angle
(at least that's my theory).

I cannot believe you just used the words 'Harley' and 'stylish' in the same
sentence. I'm seriously shocked, in fact quite disturbed by that...

I was hoping the sarcasm was obvious. I mean, I ride a BMW fer cryin'
out loud!!!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com