Hard Rubbish Bikes 101 - stuck stem

Old May 21st 06, 10:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Hard Rubbish Bikes 101 - stuck stem

I've started working on the frame I found recently for a SS. I need to
remove the stem but it is well and truly stuck. I've completely loosened
the bolt that holds it to the steerer and used a heap of RP7 but still
can't get it to move at all. I started to get brutal putting the
handlebar end into a vice and then using a big wrench to apply some
leverage to the forks (gotta love steel frames), but still no good. What
else can I try?

DaveB

Old May 21st 06, 12:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle

jim wrote:
if you don't care about the paint you can use a blow torch - if its a brazed
frame dont go beyond cherry red - welded you can take it a bit hotter but
not much

Hmmm, don't have a blowtorch. Guess that means I have to get one.
Exxxxxxxxcellent.

DaveB "grateful for any other suggestions to buy new tools"
Old May 21st 06, 12:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:
jim wrote:
if you don't care about the paint you can use a blow torch - if its a brazed
frame dont go beyond cherry red - welded you can take it a bit hotter but
not much

Hmmm, don't have a blowtorch. Guess that means I have to get one.
Exxxxxxxxcellent.

DaveB "grateful for any other suggestions to buy new tools"

Jobst (all bow) has some notes on this.

http://yarchive.net/bike/frozen_stem_remove.html

--
..dt
Old May 21st 06, 12:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:36:05 +1000, DaveB wrote:

I've started working on the frame I found recently for a SS. I need to
remove the stem but it is well and truly stuck. I've completely loosened
the bolt that holds it to the steerer and used a heap of RP7 but still
can't get it to move at all.

Put the bolt back in about 4 turns, so there's a bit of thread. Then give
it a thump - I'm guessing you've got a threaded steerer with a quill stem,
so this will loosen the wedge and let you pull it out. Maybe.

--
Dave Hughes |
There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them. - Niels Bohr

Old May 21st 06, 03:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:
What else can I try?

Let it stand for a while.
Can you put it out in the sun for a week?
(yes, I'm hoping for rain)
that would be a gently heat treatment.

This is steel in steel or AL in steel?
I believe amomnia (sp?) works well to loosed LA/steel binding.

button line is to try and use the bolt to drag it out from the bottom.
goog luck. I've got one like that in the back shed atm.

Hmm, might tey OP's blowtorch treatment.
Oh wait, I already have.

Second round, I have to use up some LPG anyway.
Old May 22nd 06, 01:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Stems are the only legitamate place to use a hammer on a bike, with the
stem bolt well loosened hit the stem straight down in line with the
steerer (use a block of wood on top of the stem to prevent damage).

Old May 22nd 06, 01:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

PiledHigher wrote:
Stems are the only legitamate place to use a hammer on a bike,

WooHoo! I love hitting things with a hammer (about the only thing I mis
about renovating).

DaveB "just call me Whelan"
Old May 22nd 06, 03:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

PiledHigher wrote:
Stems are the only legitamate place to use a hammer on a bike, with the
stem bolt well loosened hit the stem straight down in line with the
steerer (use a block of wood on top of the stem to prevent damage).

You've obviously never had to remove a very reluctant bottom bracket.

We've had times where we've had to put the BB in a vice, and turn the
bike. I **** you not ...

It's fun working on old ****ters

Old May 22nd 06, 03:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"DaveB" wrote in message
u...
I've started working on the frame I found recently for a SS. I need to
remove the stem but it is well and truly stuck. I've completely loosened
the bolt that holds it to the steerer and used a heap of RP7 but still
can't get it to move at all.

Did you just undo the bolt a little bit and then tap the bolt down to
unwedge the wedge, or unbung the expander bung (as the case may be)? If
not, you're doing it wrong!
Until you can feel the wedge or bung loose in the tube the stem won't move
anywhere....
Only when that is loose should you think about blow torches, vices or
hammers!
Gemm

Hard rubbish haul DeF Australia 13 August 28th 05 11:57 PM
Hard rubbish haul flyingdutch Australia 2 August 25th 05 11:42 AM
seized stem, ammonia? theolddirty Techniques 10 June 21st 05 08:00 PM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt General 64 August 29th 03 06:55 PM