Getting a decent news reader, filtering

Old June 6th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Getting a decent news reader, filtering

Okay, you good USENET folks out there.

Currently I am on (and will continue on for a variety of reasons) AOL
(DSL), which no longer supports newsgroups.

I am using Google for newsgroups.

I would like to be able to reasonably filter out certain authors,
topics, and content (names mentioned) on rec.bicycles.misc.

What choices do I have? How would I access these choices?

I will not be leaving AOL, so that is not an option.

I would be willing to pay a small fee if necessary.

Do you believe that USENET will continue in its current format?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old June 6th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
Okay, you good USENET folks out there.

Currently I am on (and will continue on for a variety of reasons) AOL
(DSL), which no longer supports newsgroups.

I am using Google for newsgroups.

I would like to be able to reasonably filter out certain authors,
topics, and content (names mentioned) on rec.bicycles.misc.

What choices do I have? How would I access these choices?

I use giganews for my Usenet access. They may not be the cheapest
service out there. But the are reliable. Google "news servers".

And for a client I use mozilla thunderbird. It may not be the most
powerful, but it's free, fairly easy to use and has decent filters.

I will not be leaving AOL, so that is not an option.

I would be willing to pay a small fee if necessary.

The basic service at giganews is $7.99 a month for 2 gigabytes. I have
never even come close to that limit.

Do you believe that USENET will continue in its current format?

I hope it continues in this format. But who can say for sure.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

contact me he http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/contact.html
Old June 6th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken C. M. wrote:

Thanks.

I will check Giga out.

Old June 6th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ken C. M." writes:

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
Okay, you good USENET folks out there.
Currently I am on (and will continue on for a variety of reasons) AOL
(DSL), which no longer supports newsgroups.
I am using Google for newsgroups.
I would like to be able to reasonably filter out certain authors,
topics, and content (names mentioned) on rec.bicycles.misc.
What choices do I have? How would I access these choices?

I use giganews for my Usenet access. They may not be the cheapest
service out there. But the are reliable. Google "news servers".

And for a client I use mozilla thunderbird. It may not be the most
powerful, but it's free, fairly easy to use and has decent filters.

I will not be leaving AOL, so that is not an option.
I would be willing to pay a small fee if necessary.

The basic service at giganews is $7.99 a month for 2 gigabytes. I have
never even come close to that limit.

Blimey. I pay 10 dollars a year for news.individual.net

Old June 6th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article .com,
Colorado Bicycler ) wrote:
Okay, you good USENET folks out there.

Currently I am on (and will continue on for a variety of reasons) AOL
(DSL), which no longer supports newsgroups.

I am using Google for newsgroups.

I would like to be able to reasonably filter out certain authors,
topics, and content (names mentioned) on rec.bicycles.misc.

What choices do I have? How would I access these choices?

I'm using Microplanet Gravity, which:

o is free, and
o allows one to filter stuff in the body of the message as well as the
subject and headers

URL:http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

It's no longer being supported, and occasionally crashes for no readily-
apparent reason, but I rather like it.

Official: Living in a wardrobe can be injurious to one's health
URL:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1567961,00.html
Old June 6th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
Okay, you good USENET folks out there.

Currently I am on (and will continue on for a variety of reasons) AOL
(DSL), which no longer supports newsgroups.

I am using Google for newsgroups.

I would like to be able to reasonably filter out certain authors,
topics, and content (names mentioned) on rec.bicycles.misc.

What choices do I have? How would I access these choices?

You need a reader and a provider. individual.net is my provider choice
for text-based groups, and 10 euros per year isn't bad. There are some
other providers, like www.giganews.net and teranews.net, that have
better coverage (like some at all) for some of the binary groups. Surf
over and check them out.

I like Agent best for a news reader on windoze -- look at
www.forteinc.com for trial or purchase. Unfortunately, it only runs on
windoze or a a windoze emulator like wine. When I can get wine running,
Agent is still my choice. Otherwise I'll go with Thunderbird, a free
download from www.mozilla.com.

There are other readers, so let us know what you decide on if you need
help setting up either the reader or the kill file.

I will not be leaving AOL, so that is not an option.

I would be willing to pay a small fee if necessary.

Do you believe that USENET will continue in its current format?

For the next few years, yes. After that, who knows? Some of the
web-based forums are getting some traction, so I don't know if usenet
will remain viable long-term or not.

Pat
Old June 6th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Hadron Quark wrote:
"Ken C. M." writes:

The basic service at giganews is $7.99 a month for 2 gigabytes. I have
never even come close to that limit.

Blimey. I pay 10 dollars a year for news.individual.net

I used individual when they were free. But found them to be somewhat
un-reliable. Perhaps they are better now that they are not free.

Ken

Old June 6th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ken C. M." writes:

Hadron Quark wrote:
"Ken C. M." writes:

The basic service at giganews is $7.99 a month for 2 gigabytes. I have
never even come close to that limit.

Blimey. I pay 10 dollars a year for news.individual.net

I used individual when they were free. But found them to be somewhat
un-reliable. Perhaps they are better now that they are not free.

How unreliable? I have never had an issue. And there is a huge
discrepancy in costs : unless you're a binaries fiend of course.
Old June 6th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Hadron Quark" wrote in message
"Ken C. M." writes:

Hadron Quark wrote:
"Ken C. M." writes:

The basic service at giganews is $7.99 a month for 2 gigabytes. I have
never even come close to that limit.
Blimey. I pay 10 dollars a year for news.individual.net

I used individual when they were free. But found them to be somewhat
un-reliable. Perhaps they are better now that they are not free.

How unreliable? I have never had an issue. And there is a huge
discrepancy in costs : unless you're a binaries fiend of course.

I found individual.de to be perfectly reliable when I used their service.
Now I'm getting it through Earthlink as a part of my ISP services. While
it's OK now, for several weeks the whole thing was completely screwed up,
and the company's interest in fixing it was pretty minimal. It made me
hanker for individual.de -- $10/year seems like a small price to pay to get
a reliable news feed.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old June 6th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Hadron Quark wrote:
"Ken C. M." writes:

Hadron Quark wrote:

"Ken C. M." writes:

The basic service at giganews is $7.99 a month for 2 gigabytes. I have
never even come close to that limit.

Blimey. I pay 10 dollars a year for news.individual.net

I used individual when they were free. But found them to be somewhat
un-reliable. Perhaps they are better now that they are not free.

How unreliable? I have never had an issue. And there is a huge
discrepancy in costs : unless you're a binaries fiend of course.

Un-reliable as in trying to download headers and message bodies.
I'll give you the cost thing at $10 a year its certainly cheaper.

Ken