Bike query...

Old January 2nd 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
-pb-

Default Bike query...

Hi,

I don't kow if this is the right group to post this message if not pls
direct me to the corrdct group...

Recently I bought a new Bicycle, its a 26" Montain Bike for Mens. After
assembly I found that front and back break touches the steel rim and
tyre because of which I have to padle really hard while riding...is
there any way to fix it...I am really very new to bicycle world so pls
help me...

Pls let me know if anyone need any further info

Thanks in advance

Old January 2nd 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Claire Petersky

"-pb-" wrote in message
oups.com...

Recently I bought a new Bicycle, its a 26" Montain Bike for Mens. After
assembly I found that front and back break touches the steel rim and
tyre because of which I have to pedal really hard while riding...is
there any way to fix it...

Pls let me know if anyone need any further info

Did you buy the bike at a bike shop, and they assembled it? Or did you buy
the bike somewhere else, and you assembled it?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old January 2nd 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
-pb-

Hi,

Actually, I bought the cycel from Tesco and asembled it myself.
Probably I will visit cycle shop near to my house and ask them to check
is everything is alright...do u think they will charge if so any idea
how much...this information would be reallt helpful...

Before visiting the shop I will try the suggeston given by one of the
member.

Thanks

Claire Petersky wrote:
oups.com...

Old January 2nd 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
nash

All that info is on the web. Sheldon Brown's website is mostly highly
regarded in this group.
This is definitely the right group by the way as is rec.bicycles.tech
My LBS would not charge but yours might a couple bucks. Takes about 5
minutes. There are screws that loosen and realign. You might see it if you
look and just figure it out. Pictures would help and it depends on center
pull or whatever brakes you have. Brake pads themselves should also be on
the right way(forward and backward facing) and touch the rim only when you
squeeze the brake lever.
Levers should move only 1/4" to half an inch to be able to brake in a hurry.
Pump brakes BTW when stopping. It is faster than just one long squeeze.

Cheers
have fun
SN

Old January 2nd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

-pb- wrote:

Recently I bought a new Bicycle, its a 26" Montain Bike for Mens. After
assembly I found that front and back break touches the steel rim and
tyre because of which I have to padle really hard while riding...is
there any way to fix it...I am really very new to bicycle world so pls
help me...

You should be able to move the brake pads in and out on
their mounts for proper brake adjustment.

Loosen the bolt holding the brake pad and slide the pad
away from the wheel until it spins easily. Then tighten
up the bolt again.

You should have "toe in" on the pads when you tighten
them back up. I.e., the fronts of the pads should be
closer to the wheel rim than the back of the pads. This
makes the brakes stop better.

You need to have the wheels reasonably "true" for proper
brake effectiveness. If the wheel rim moves back and
forth towards and away from the brake pads, you'll need
to true the wheel.

Refer to a web site (Sheldon Brown is probably among the
best) for info on bicycle wheel truing if necessary.

SMH
Old January 2nd 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

-pb- wrote:
Actually, I bought the cycel from Tesco and asembled it myself.

I don't want to sound like a bike snob, but if you plan to ride a bike
more that 2 or 3 times a year, I would return this one and buy a better
bike at the bike shop. Believe me, the extra money will be well worth
it in terms of reliability and performance. Even if you get the brakes
adjusted properly, there will probably be other issues that will make
this bike no fun to ride. An inexpensive bike that ends up not being
ridden is not a good deal.

Probably I will visit cycle shop near to my house and ask them to check
is everything is alright...do u think they will charge if so any idea

Some shops may refuse to work on a cheap department store bike. They
certainly won't fix it for free.

Art Harris

Old January 2nd 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
VBadJuJu

"Art Harris" wrote:

-pb- wrote:
Actually, I bought the cycel from Tesco and asembled it myself.

I don't want to sound like a bike snob, but if you plan to ride a bike
more that 2 or 3 times a year, I would return this one and buy a better
bike at the bike shop. Believe me, the extra money will be well worth
it in terms of reliability and performance. Even if you get the brakes
adjusted properly, there will probably be other issues that will make
this bike no fun to ride. An inexpensive bike that ends up not being
ridden is not a good deal.

Probably I will visit cycle shop near to my house and ask them to check
is everything is alright...do u think they will charge if so any idea

Some shops may refuse to work on a cheap department store bike. They
certainly won't fix it for free.

Art Harris

To add a few points: It *might* be a bargain to ride the Tesco for a
bit to see if and how much you are into bicycling. Depending on your
age, how long it has been since you've ridden and how many nice places
to ride there are near you, you might give it up after a month. In
that case an el-cheapo might be ok.

But if you decide you like it and the money it saves on gas, then
right away start shopping or saving for a "real" bike. First, it
will probably be cheaper in the long run as many bike shops will
service a bike they sell for free or cheaply. Second, the Tesco is
probably a death trap. Third, it will likely operate with far fewer
problems and spend less time in the shop.

Old January 2nd 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Art Harris" wrote in message
ups.com...
-pb- wrote:
Actually, I bought the cycel from Tesco and asembled it myself.

I don't want to sound like a bike snob, but if you plan to ride a bike
more that 2 or 3 times a year, I would return this one and buy a better
bike at the bike shop. Believe me, the extra money will be well worth
it in terms of reliability and performance. Even if you get the brakes
adjusted properly, there will probably be other issues that will make
this bike no fun to ride. An inexpensive bike that ends up not being
ridden is not a good deal.

Probably I will visit cycle shop near to my house and ask them to

check
is everything is alright...do u think they will charge if so any idea

Some shops may refuse to work on a cheap department store bike. They
certainly won't fix it for free.

Art Harris

When I managed a shop we wouldn't work on really cheap bikes for liability
reasons. The minute we touched it we were responsible for the rider's
safety.

Really cheap bikes turn into a can of worms. When you adjust one component
you find another thing that doesn't work right.

I think that it takes a lot of nerve bringing a new bike purchased
somewhere else into a LBS and asking them to make free adjustments! How
many posters who made that suggestion would work for free themselves?

Chas.

Old January 2nd 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
nash

for your information I said mine would do it for me free but it would
probably take just 5 minutes so expect to pay a couple bucks.
As far as I know that is the only post that mentioned free anything.

Old January 2nd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
nash

I think that it takes a lot of nerve bringing a new bike purchased
somewhere else into a LBS and asking them to make free adjustments!

Nobody did!

Mountain bike cassette on a road bike query vernon levy UK 13 July 1st 06 10:52 PM
Bike storage query Steve Hodgson UK 7 December 11th 05 07:25 PM
wierd bike rack query didds UK 11 August 25th 05 11:28 AM
Around the bay query tortoise Australia 4 October 14th 04 02:57 AM
Another GPS Query Robin Long UK 8 August 12th 04 08:44 AM