50-something driver arrested after beating up charity cyclist whocomplained of close pass

Old August 14th 20, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default 50-something driver arrested after beating up charity cyclist whocomplained of close pass

Driver has been arrested for the cowardly attack.
QUOTE:
A Swindon motorist in his 50s has been arrested after beating up a charity cyclist in a fit of road rage. The incident apparently came about after schoolteacher Peter James objected to a close pass.

The Swindon Advertiser (link is external) reports that James was cycling along the Ashton Keynes Road near Chelworth Lodge Industrial Estate at 2.45pm on Sunday, August 9 when a man overtook him in a Mercedes without leaving enough room as he passed.

James signalled that the driver should have left more space, only for the man to stop ahead and wait for him to catch up.

As James approached, the man got out of his car and started abusing him. He then punched him off his bike. The man is said to have continued attacking him for over five minutes.

James, who suffered a fractured wrist, reported the attack to police and the driver was arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent.

He has been interviewed and released under investigation while enquiries continue.

Police have appealed for witnesses and specifically wish to speak to the driver of a dark-coloured car – possibly a black Ford people carrier – who was heading towards Ashton Keynes at the time.

PC Jonathan Kilburn said: “This was a serious incident and the cyclist required hospital treatment for his injuries.

"I am really keen to speak to the driver of this vehicle as they may have information which could assist our enquiries.

"Additionally, if you think this may have been you but you do not believe you have any further information, please do let us know so we can eliminate this line of enquiry.

“Cyclists are vulnerable road users but it is vital that we are all considerate when using the road space – keep your distance when overtaking and be mindful of oncoming traffic when doing so.

"We all have a responsibility to keep each other safe when using the roads.”

https://road.cc/content/news/driver-...cyclist-276457
Old August 14th 20, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 14/08/2020 14:54, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

"... [the cyclist] signalled that the driver should have left more space..."

Really?

Please cite the form of this "signal", with a reference to the
particular Rule and page of the Highway Code where it appears.

[Here's the space for the eerie silence: ............................. ]

Additionally, what would ever be the point of a "signal for more space"
- even if it existed, which a "signal for more space" does not - after
the overtaking vehicle has passed?

While we're at it, please don't once again lose the opportunity to point
out the legislative basis for the oft-made, but nonsensical, claim that
1.5 metres space "must" be allowed when passing another vehicle. The
relevant Act, set of regulations and Highway Code reference to that
lefislation will suffice. It shouldn't be difficult to provide unless it
doesn't exist.

Old August 15th 20, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 14/08/2020 17:45, JNugent wrote:
On 14/08/2020 14:54, Simon Mason wrote:

"... [the cyclist] signalled that the driver should have left more
space..."

Really?

Please cite the form of this "signal", with a reference to the
particular Rule and page of the Highway Code where it appears.

It's right next to the rule that says a driver should sneak up to
cyclists and use the horn when alongside.
Old August 15th 20, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 15/08/2020 10:59, TMS320 wrote:

On 14/08/2020 17:45, JNugent wrote:
On 14/08/2020 14:54, Simon Mason wrote:

"... [the cyclist] signalled that the driver should have left more
space..."

Really?

Please cite the form of this "signal", with a reference to the
particular Rule and page of the Highway Code where it appears.

It's right next to the rule that says a driver should sneak up to
cyclists and use the horn when alongside.

Where can one buy these engine-silencing and tyre-noise-cancelling kits?

And why aren't they mandated in the MOT test?

But more to the point, what is this "signal for more space"?

Is there a sensible answer to that?

Or are we to simply to regard those who insist that it exists as
dishonest, idiotic or both?