Any suggestions for a simple bike lock

Old December 14th 04, 04:45 PM

Default Any suggestions for a simple bike lock

Someone actually stole my friends bicycle while we were in the park. I
can't believe it. It made me think I should buy a lock. There is so
little crime in our town, I never thought of buying a lock. Plus I do
not have an expensive bike. I was told that cable locks are convenient
and easy to use, but they are not as secure as U-locks. I like the
cable lock. It is just a lot easier to lock up the bike with this type
of lock. Anyone have an opinion? Seems to me if someone really wants
your bicycle they certainly would not have that difficult a time
stealing it...locked or unlocked. I am certainly not in a high crime
area....I don't even know if its worth locking up the bike. We have a
problem with car theft because we are near a highway which quickly
brings the cars into Newark. (a definate high crime area) .. But
geez... being in a park in the middle of a suburb, it seemed highly
unlikely that someone would steal it. Goes to show how much I know. It
was probably a kid who wanted to see if he could get away with it. Our
major crimes include houses being toilet papered at Halloween and
people driving through town without their seat belts on. Its a pretty
wussy town. Any suggestions for a lock?
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

Old December 14th 04, 05:14 PM
botfood

a light cable and a cheap combo lock will prevent casual theft, NOTHING
will stop a truely dedicated thief. If you get stuck somewhere you have
to leave a bike for a bit and dont have your lock... just remove the
wheel skewers and take them with you.

Old December 14th 04, 05:29 PM
Scott Ehardt

wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone actually stole my friends bicycle while we were in the park. I
can't believe it. It made me think I should buy a lock. There is so
little crime in our town, I never thought of buying a lock. Plus I do
not have an expensive bike.

Most people continue with the "it will never happen to me" until it actually
happens, so consider yourself one step ahead. I thought I could get away
with locking my bike on a college campus with a cable lock in the daytime,
and well, "it happened" at 5pm.

I was told that cable locks are convenient
and easy to use, but they are not as secure as U-locks. I like the
cable lock. It is just a lot easier to lock up the bike with this type
of lock. Anyone have an opinion?

I think you would do well with a lock that clips to your frame in a bracket
for easy carrying. You'll have to make the decision between a U-lock and a
cable lock yourself, but my thoughts on them a
Cable lock - Easy to cut no matter how big (thick) it is, but also
convenient since you can lock a large variety of objects.
U-lock - More difficult to defeat, esp. the high-end ones, but you have to
find an object the right size to lock it around.

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old December 14th 04, 06:44 PM
Ken Marcet

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I live in a very low crime village too, and I use a cable lock with a "drum"
style combination lock built into it. It will prevent someone from riding
off on your ride, It will not stop someone from cutting it with a pair of
bolt cutters, but then again how many casual thiefs walk around with bolt
cutters in their pockets. And nothing will stop a serious professional
thief!

Ken

Old December 14th 04, 09:40 PM
Matt O'Toole

Ken Marcet wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

All true. Bike theft is often a crime of opportunity. Lock your bike, and a
would-be thief will pass it by.

When I was a kid, any bike left unlocked begged to be stolen. Often they were
vandalized then ditched nearby. Obviously kids did this just for "fun."

Matt O

Old December 14th 04, 11:25 PM
pam_in_sc

Roger Zoul wrote:
When I ride, I don't let my bike out of my site until I'm home. Well, I do
stop at an occaisonal firestation to either peep or refill my water bottles.
So in those cases I am away from the bike for a few moments, but the bike is
in the firestation where people are less likely to steal it (I think,
anyway). If I go into a store someplace, I take my bike in with me. So, I
leave my locks at home. This works for the kind of riding I do (out and back
for up to 7 hours at a time in summer and fall). I imagine if you want to
go buy something at the store or visit with someone, or spend time in the
park, you might want something else. Both a cable and a U-lock might be
worthwhile. I got both of those when I got my bike but have yet to use
them.

I carry a Master Lock Pit Stop cable lock
(http://www.mtbr.com/tradeshow/interb...uctpage2.shtml)
in my seat bag for the purpose of those quick trips into a convenience
store. It is a joke how lightweight it is, but for quick stops in a safe
area it seems to me worthwhile to deter the most opportunistic kind of
theft.

Pam

Old December 15th 04, 01:08 AM
Zoot Katz

14 Dec 2004 08:45:25 -0800,
. com,
wrote:

Any suggestions for a lock?

The one that's easiest for you to use and carry.
That way you'll be more inclined to carry and use it, always.
--
zk
Old December 15th 04, 03:59 AM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:25:01 -0500, pam_in_sc
wrote:

Roger Zoul wrote:
[...]

I have to go with taking the bike into the store. Some people will steal
the seat and post if the rest of the bike is locked up. Those quick
releases
are just too hard for some bums to pass up. If the store won't let me
bring in the bike I just ask where the next store is, and I usually
get served. I have quick releases on both tires and the seat, so locking
it all down means two or more locks or a really long cable.

--
Bill (?) Baka
Old December 15th 04, 11:28 AM
Peter Cole

"Ken Marcet" wrote in message

bolt cutters, but then again how many casual thiefs walk around with bolt
cutters in their pockets. And nothing will stop a serious professional
thief!

I was at the tool rental place one day & say a few kids renting a big
compound bolt cutter. I very much doubt they had bolts to cut. Thieves
carry these under jackets, bend over a bike for a few seconds, then ride
away.