What do you guys think of Brooks saddles? Are they goofy or what?

Old August 13th 03, 07:50 PM
Stan Shankman

Default What do you guys think of Brooks saddles? Are they goofy or what?

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Anyone?

- Stan Shankman

Old August 13th 03, 08:00 PM
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:15 -0500, Stan Shankman
wrote:
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a
new road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

This morning, I finally took a look at some leather saddles,
mostly Brooks, online. The posts I've seen regarding them
convinced me that they're worth a try.

Then, I saw pictures of them. Now, I'm not terribly shallow;
I take function over form anyday. However, they look to darn
silly to me, and I imagine I'd look at the bike and say to
myself "Naw, maybe I'll ride tomorrow instead".

I am quite comfortable in my plastic saddles, so I don't
find a need to change. If I find discomfort, I may yet
try a Brooks, ugliness [subjective, of course] be damned.

Anyone?

- Stan Shankman

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 13th 03, 08:07 PM
Naveed

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:15 -0500, Stan Shankman wrote:

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a
new road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Anyone?

- Stan Shankman

I like my champion flyer alot. It is very comfortable. When i started to
ride, i had quite a bit of pain and tried a number of saddles and ended up
with this after reading various posts here. Though some people say they
are ugly, I think mine makes my bike look much better. I have the honey on
a black frame. If i were to do it again, I would get the B17 instead for a
cleaner look. The springs on back of the champion flyer look fine alone,
but when you add an under seat bag for tools, it looks a little silly. The
bag sits under the springs rather than nicely tucked under the seat.

This is on my commute bike that i ride to work everyday and is a mountain
bike altered for street use, so my experiece may be different from people
with road bikes.

Naveed
Old August 13th 03, 08:08 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Stan Shankman wrote:

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a
new road bike?

Yes. They're comfortable and look cool.

However, I also think barcons and DT shifters are cool when compared to
those dorky STI jobs, so my aesthetics may not fit with prevailing
opinions.

--
Benjamin Lewis

To restore a sense of reality, I think Walt Disney should have a Hardluckland.
-- Jack Paar
Old August 13th 03, 09:07 PM
Jkpoulos7

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a new
road bike?

If you're serious about comfort, yes!!! Sure they do not look as sleek as the
"numnutter" saddles out there but for those interested in having no more pain
in the butt after hours on a bike get a Brooks.

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Why be worried what others think? I put a Brooks on my Lemond and people have
only asked how comfortable it is. Riding in the rain is a concern though.
Old August 13th 03, 09:26 PM
Donald Gillies

Rick Onanian writes:

Then, I saw pictures of them. Now, I'm not terribly shallow;
I take function over form anyday. However, they look to darn
silly to me, and I imagine I'd look at the bike and say to
myself "Naw, maybe I'll ride tomorrow instead".

Did you look at the B17, Pro, or Swift ?? These saddles are almost
identical to the selle italia turbo or other selle italia saddles.

I've never felt a need to replace a brooks saddle, even a cheap $6.00
plastic saddle from brooks. I have replaced many other bad plastic
saddles.

Most brooks saddles do not have tabs for hanging a bag at the back of
the saddle. It used to be possible to buy these tabs from bike
nashbar which bolt on (they bolt onto the rails like a waterbottle
clamp, something else that is a forgotten part of cycling lore.)
These tabs make it easier to hang bags from the back of brooks (or in
my case unicanitor) saddle.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old August 13th 03, 09:34 PM
Per Elmsäter

Jkpoulos7 wrote:
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building
up a new road bike?

If you're serious about comfort, yes!!! Sure they do not look as
sleek as the "numnutter" saddles out there but for those interested
in having no more pain in the butt after hours on a bike get a Brooks.

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about
leather in general?

Why be worried what others think? I put a Brooks on my Lemond and
people have only asked how comfortable it is. Riding in the rain is
a concern though.

Yes rain and leather saddles is a whle different story as you will soon see.
This fellow inherited a really fine bike with a genuine leather saddle on
it. The only thing he had to promise his old friend before he died was to
take good care of the bike and to always work vaseline into the saddle if it
was raining.
Well one day he's out riding and as chance has it he stops at a farm for
some water. They're nice people and invite him in for dinner. Before they
sit down at the table they tell him that they have only one rule and that is
that whoever speaks at the table does the dishes. Fair enough he thinks and
sits down with them. After a while he gets up, lays the wife on the table
and has his way with her. Nobody utters a single syllable. He goes back to
his seat and continues eating. Soon however he goes over to the daughter and
does the same thing. Still nobody utters a word.
At about this time it starts raining outside and remembering the promise to
his deceased friend he pulls a can of vaseline out of his pocket as he
slowly gets up.At this point the farmer shouts. OK, OK, I'll do the damn
dishes.

--
Perre

Old August 13th 03, 09:51 PM
bfd

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message si.com...
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Anyone?

For those who ride Brooks saddle, the word that's always used is
COMFORT. Despite the fact that leather saddles need more care and
break in time, there are scores of people who will ride nothing else.
In fact several riders used a Brooks in this year RAAM, including I
believe the winner, Allen Larsen:

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raa...03racemain.htm

Of course, if you're comfortable with your plastic saddle, stay with
it. Plastic saddles are lighter, more "aero" (if that matters) and
definitely more durable. A good alternative is Avocet O2. It comes in
several width, including a "women's model" that can be used by men....
Old August 13th 03, 10:01 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

I have a Brooks B17 on my road tourer, a Champion Flyer (B17 with
springs) on my MTB. My tourer also has laced on leather over the H-bars
and brake hoods.

Yes. I like leather :-3)

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old August 13th 03, 10:05 PM
Rick Onanian

On 13 Aug 2003 13:26:15 -0700, Donald Gillies wrote:
Then, I saw pictures of them. Now, I'm not terribly shallow;
I take function over form anyday. However, they look to darn
silly to me, and I imagine I'd look at the bike and say to
myself "Naw, maybe I'll ride tomorrow instead".

Did you look at the B17, Pro, or Swift ?? These saddles are almost
identical to the selle italia turbo or other selle italia saddles.

While the shape is similar, it's not the shape that
bothers me. It's the material and the fasteners used.
It's a very subjective thing, but it just looks too
silly for me, at least, until I find that I'm not
comfortable on a plastic saddle.

And then, I have a Selle Italia Prolink that came on
my Giant TCR2, and the whole bike just looks so cool,
that I see it and want to ride. I don't care if other
people see it and think it's cool or not (obvious if
you see my stem, which rises way up, and my pedals,
which are Nashbar Special SPD pedals for mountain
bikes).

I've never felt a need to replace a brooks saddle, even a cheap $6.00
plastic saddle from brooks. I have replaced many other bad plastic
saddles.

I've never felt a need to replace a brooks saddle,
but that's because I've never had one.

I have replaced saddles before, but done with cheapies
from my LBS's take-offs bin.

Most brooks saddles do not have tabs for hanging a bag at the back of
the saddle. It used to be possible to buy these tabs from bike

It's easy enough to hang a bag from the saddle rails.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

--
Rick Onanian