What do you guys think of Brooks saddles? Are they goofy or what?

Old August 13th 03, 10:13 PM
Eric St. Mary

Default What do you guys think of Brooks saddles? Are they goofy or what?

Originally posted by Benjamin Lewis Stan Shankman wrote:

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up
a new road bike?

I did on my new Rivendell Rambouillet. I have to say it looks great;
even though I was highly sceptical it wouldn't.

Riding it the first time was the second most painful experience that
region had ever felt (the first was not seat related). After waiting a
hundred miles for the break-in to happen, I decided to go against the
Brooks code of conduct and dunk it. After dunking in cold water twice
and riding it immediatley afterwards, it has became the most comfortable
seat I have ever had. The angle adjustment is tricky though, as the nose
never seems to soften up.

As for riding in the rain throw a bag or seat cover over it and go. Your
bottom will cover it in sweat when you ride anyways.

Eric

Old August 13th 03, 10:19 PM
Lewis Campbell

I've got two bikes at the moment and each of them has a BROOKS saddle.

One is a hybrid type bike, with an upright riding positon and it has a
Champion Flyer. Thats like a B-17 only it has a pair of coil springs.

The other bike has a B-17 'Narrow' and this bike has aero bars.

Lewis.

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message si.com...
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Anyone?

- Stan Shankman

Old August 13th 03, 10:34 PM
Lee

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message
i.com...
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a

new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

I've still got my Brooks Pro which I bought new in 1972. Haven't had it on a
bike in over 20 years, tho. Thinking about trying a new Brooks...but that
old one *never* molded to my butt.

My other concern is that I tend to slide out of position on a smooth saddle.
Right now I've got 3 or 4 San Marco Era K or San Marco Night Train saddles
with synthetic suede to keep me from sliding around.

And it's not a fit issue...I've gone through several bike fittings over the
years, I'm in the right position, but I just don't stay in the right place
with a smooth saddle.

Lee

Old August 13th 03, 10:36 PM
Rick Warner

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message si.com...
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Hey, the winner of the solo division of RAAM this year (Allen Larson) used
Brooks on his bikes; says it was more comfortable with less issues of
numbness than the saddle he used last year.

Anyway, some folks will not like them because they are retro, or heavy, or
they do not like the looks, or .... Some folks love them because they are
retro, they are comfortable, etc. You will have to find your own way,
grasshopper, and decide how YOU feel about a Brooks rather than going with
'popular consensus'.

- rick
Old August 13th 03, 11:21 PM
Cliff Weisgerber

Rick Onanian wrote in message ...
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:15 -0500, Stan Shankman
wrote:
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a
new road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

This morning, I finally took a look at some leather saddles,
mostly Brooks, online. The posts I've seen regarding them
convinced me that they're worth a try.

Then, I saw pictures of them. Now, I'm not terribly shallow;
I take function over form anyday. However, they look to darn
silly to me, and I imagine I'd look at the bike and say to
myself "Naw, maybe I'll ride tomorrow instead".

I am quite comfortable in my plastic saddles, so I don't
find a need to change. If I find discomfort, I may yet
try a Brooks, ugliness [subjective, of course] be damned.

Anyone?

- Stan Shankman

Buy it and ride it, you'll like it. Don't let it dry out. Wear
cycling shorts or black pants.
Old August 13th 03, 11:25 PM
Chalo

"Stan Shankman" wrote:

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a new
road bike?

Oh yes.

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Brooks, Lepper, and other well-made leather saddles are generally much
heavier, much more expensive, and more difficult to maintain than most
quality plastic saddles. Many riders find the comfort of such a
saddle well worth the tradeoffs, and will not ride any other kind of
saddle. Others prefer the timeless appearance of a leather saddle
over that of a plastic one.

I'd say there is an analogous relationship between expensive,
high-quality handmade leather shoes and those which are
injection-molded from plastics. Both have their benefits and
shortcomings. Most folks who don't make a distinction wind up using
the plastic kind because they are cheap and require little to no
upkeep. And neither kind will be satisfactory unless it fits
properly.

Chalo Colina
Old August 14th 03, 12:48 AM
Steve

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message
i.com...
Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a

new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

Anyone?

Anyone - try everyone...

I have them on 4 bikes, all B17 black, on the full suspension mt. bike, the
tourer/commuter, the Heron road - goes everywhere bike and even on the new
Lemond titanium. Seems like a blasphemy to put a 500 gram leather saddle on
a double butted titanium frame, but my butt thinks otherwise.

They are the most comfortable saddle I've used, probably the reason I can
ride +5000 miles this year and 4,000 last year after 2 years of prostate
inflammations that was certainly cycling related. The leather, the width
and the shape does the best job I've found at supporting my ass without
causing pressure in the soft tissue. I've also tried the Terry Liberator,
Terry Fly, Specialized Body Geometry and assorted Flite style, plus assorted
Selle San Marco's, Vetta's, Bontragers, etc... Nothing is as comfortable as
the Brooks, mostly as I rely on the saddle to support me and the shorts to
pad me. Many saddles have too much padding which tends to compress the soft
tissue in the crotch, which you generally don't want.

That said, I did find that my sit bones press down onto the saddle right at
the edge of the seam of the chamois, causing blisters to form, resulting in
a move to XL padded shorts (from L). I also invested in the Carradace
covers for riding on hot/humid days and/or in the rain. A shower cap comes
along with me as well, as the Carradace is not totally water proof. I treat
every 2 mos. or so with Proofide to keep the saddles in shape. And as
others have said, the tilt is important and takes some experimenting. Nose
up higher then usual seems to be the best choice. Having a post that allows
very minute adjustment is important. Also note that they do not slide back
as far as a typical saddle, the result for me is an investment in Easton and
CLB seat posts that have more setback then is typical to get the saddle/seat
tube/reach position back to where it belongs.

Bottom line, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't use one, preferring a lower
maintenance and lighter saddle, and if your butt doesn't need it and is
comfortable on your current saddle, don't change.

Steve B.

Old August 14th 03, 01:04 AM
Tim McNamara

In article m,
"Stan Shankman" wrote:

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building
up a new road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about
leather in general?

Anyone?

Dis gots ta be a troll.
Old August 14th 03, 01:11 AM
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

While the shape is similar, it's not the shape that bothers me.
It's the material and the fasteners used. It's a very subjective
thing, but it just looks too silly for me, at least, until I find
that I'm not comfortable on a plastic saddle.

And then, I have a Selle Italia Prolink that came on my Giant TCR2,
and the whole bike just looks so cool, that I see it and want to
ride.

Isn't this just one of the best demonstrations of why it's a good
thing that there is consumer choice?

I think those modern saddles look goofy as can be, with wierd
patchwork fabric tops and embroidery that is designed to increase the
friction between you and your bike. Saddles are supposed to be smooth
so that there is no movement between your shorts and your skin- all
the slippage should happen between the shorts and the saddle. If
you're slipping down the saddle- and need pseudo-velcro to keep your
butt in place- it's either the wrong saddle or it's poorly adjusted.

But if you like how they look and like how it feels to ride them, than
you should and I got *nothing* to say about it. It's your butt, not
mine and what fits me may not fit you. I'm happy to keep riding the
too-silly Brooks Team Pro I bought in 1977. What matters is riding
bike.