What do you guys think of Brooks saddles? Are they goofy or what?

Old August 16th 03, 03:45 AM
Jim Adney

Default What do you guys think of Brooks saddles? Are they goofy or what?

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:15 -0500 "Stan Shankman"
wrote:

Would anyone seriously consider using a Brooks saddle when building up a new
road bike?

I'm just wondering what the popular consensus is. What about leather in
general?

My oldest saddle is also my favorite. It's a Brooks B-17 Champion
Narrow bought in 1968. I also have a Brooks Pro, which is almost a
year "newer", but that one has never softened up the slightest amount
and isn't nearly as comfortable.

I have one of the very first Unica-Nitors ever seen around here. It
has a perfectly smooth top with no holes. While it's clearly lighter
it's not nearly as comfortable.

I'm sure there are good modern synthetic saddles out there, but I
still prefer the classic Brooks.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old August 16th 03, 05:44 AM
Mike Latondresse

Jim Adney wrote in
news

I'm sure there are good modern synthetic saddles out there, but I
still prefer the classic Brooks.

No offence to Jim but I think that both the Brooks saddle and the
Speedplay pedal fans are a vocal but non representative segment of this
NG who, at any opportunity, support their choice but really do not
represent what most riders use and are quite satisified with. Thank you
for your attention.
Old August 16th 03, 10:57 AM
Tim McTeague

Why do people get so touchy when others express their fondness of certain
products. They like Brooks, you like whatever. What is the problem?
Horses for courses. If plastic seats fit you, great, I wish they did me.
I'm just thankful that companies such as Brooks still put out quality
products for those of us that can't get along with cookie cutter product
where one size should fit all but in reality leaves many out. I never have
an issue with the true believers of "fill in the blank" product. What bugs
me is when they feel the need to constantly denigrate the competing product.
There are a few that never seem to resist to chance to slam Shimano for
instance. If something truly does not measure up, tell me, but supply the
facts, not prejudice.

Tim McTeague

Old August 16th 03, 02:53 PM
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Mike Latondresse wrote:

Jim Adney wrote in
news

I'm sure there are good modern synthetic saddles out there, but I
still prefer the classic Brooks.

No offence to Jim but I think that both the Brooks saddle and the
Speedplay pedal fans are a vocal but non representative segment of
this NG who, at any opportunity, support their choice but really do
not represent what most riders use and are quite satisified with.
Thank you for your attention.

You may of course think what you like. Go to the races around here
and you'll see maybe 10 - 15% of the field riding Speedplay pedals.
Don't see too many Brooks saddes at the races, but if you go to the
brevets and the non-racing bike club rides, you'll see a very high
proportion of them.

Racers are not a representative sample of bike riders.
Old August 16th 03, 06:01 PM
Mike Latondresse

"Tim McTeague" wrote in
:

I am top-posting here purposely. If you read my post you will find that
at no time did I denigrate (either Brooks or Speedplay) while you on
the other hand, using terms such as "plastic seats", "cookie cutter
product" and "one size should fit all" certainly do. Someone reading
this thread could be misled into thinking that the majority of riders
use Brooks saddles, which of course is not the case, and as far as
being touchy, well your response seems to fill the bill.

Old August 16th 03, 07:44 PM
Gary Young

"Tim McTeague" wrote in message ...
Why do people get so touchy when others express their fondness of certain
products. They like Brooks, you like whatever. What is the problem?
Horses for courses. If plastic seats fit you, great, I wish they did me.
I'm just thankful that companies such as Brooks still put out quality
products for those of us that can't get along with cookie cutter product
where one size should fit all but in reality leaves many out. I never have
an issue with the true believers of "fill in the blank" product. What bugs
me is when they feel the need to constantly denigrate the competing product.
There are a few that never seem to resist to chance to slam Shimano for
instance. If something truly does not measure up, tell me, but supply the
facts, not prejudice.

I agree with you that this kind of thing can get rather tiresome. But
the fault usually lies on both sides, in my experience. For instance,
by calling other saddles "cookie cutter," you probably meant that they
don't conform to one's shape the way a Brooks will. Even so, the
phrase comes across as a put-down, as does your sentence about "Brooks
still put out quality products," which seems to imply that other
companies are not putting out a quality product.