pedal wrench size

Old October 27th 03, 06:14 AM
Mike Miles

Default pedal wrench size

What is the equivalent size (metric or SAE) open ended wrench for pedals?

Also, is there a convenient website for steps on installing stems/quills on
a threaded steerer? don't know if sheldon has this info, his site is too
large to navigate sometimes .

fyi, bought an old roadie on ebay, just need to get the last pieces in
place, and tighten it all down.

Mike
Mechanical Engineering 2006, Carnegie Mellon University
Remove nospam to reply.
Old October 27th 03, 06:55 AM
Mark Janeba

Mike Miles wrote:
What is the equivalent size (metric or SAE) open ended wrench for pedals?

15mm for all but pedals on the Ashtabula one-piece Schwinn Varsity -type
crank, as far as I know. In other words, almost certainly 15mm.

Also, is there a convenient website for steps on installing stems/quills
on a threaded steerer? don't know if sheldon has this info, his site is
too large to navigate sometimes .

I don't understand - are you looking for subtle stuff? grease contact
surfaces, stick stem in fork, tighten binder bolt. I don't know if
there are torque specifications available; you can overdo, but it takes
some effort. Pay attention to the minimum insertion line.

Good luck.
Mark Janeba

Old October 27th 03, 06:55 AM
Dan Daniel

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:14:40 -0500, Mike Miles
wrote:

What is the equivalent size (metric or SAE) open ended wrench for pedals?

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQpedls.shtml

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

15mm or 9/16" Some pedals have allen wrench sockets (?? what is that
called?) on the inside of the crank arm opening. 6mm is what I have
seen, but there are probably other sizes.

Also, is there a convenient website for steps on installing stems/quills on
a threaded steerer? don't know if sheldon has this info, his site is too
large to navigate sometimes .

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Often, the best way to find articles is to go to his Bicycle Glossary
about specific parts and poke around at the various links.

fyi, bought an old roadie on ebay, just need to get the last pieces in
place, and tighten it all down.

Don't forget the grease when you install the pedals, stem, bottom
bracket., etc.
Old October 27th 03, 11:05 AM
Simon Brooke

Mike Miles writes:

What is the equivalent size (metric or SAE) open ended wrench for pedals?

15mm.

do not sail on uphill water
- Bill Lee
Old October 27th 03, 11:53 PM
Matt O'Toole

wrote:

Some pedals have allen wrench sockets (?? what is that
called?) on the inside of the crank arm opening. 6mm is what I have
seen, but there are probably other sizes.

That's only for emergencies, like when a pedal comes loose on the trail. Use
the 15mm.

Matt O.

Old October 28th 03, 02:55 AM
Dan Daniel

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:53:19 GMT, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Some pedals have allen wrench sockets (?? what is that
called?) on the inside of the crank arm opening. 6mm is what I have
seen, but there are probably other sizes.

That's only for emergencies, like when a pedal comes loose on the trail. Use
the 15mm.

Matt O.

Is there something better about using an open-ended wrench over an
allen wrench?

On an old garage sale bike, the allen wrench approach was how I got a
very difficult pedal off. 6mm on a ratchet with a cheater bar. But
there may be tricks to holding the cranks and pushing on your typical
wrench that I don't know.

Old October 28th 03, 03:54 AM
Matt O'Toole

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message

Is there something better about using an open-ended wrench over an
allen wrench?

On an old garage sale bike, the allen wrench approach was how I got a
very difficult pedal off. 6mm on a ratchet with a cheater bar. But
there may be tricks to holding the cranks and pushing on your typical
wrench that I don't know.

It may work, but an allen head is not as strong as regular wrench flats. Pedals
can be hard to break loose, and there's a good chance the allen head will strip.
So use the stronger, 15mm wrench flats, and leave the 6mm allen for emergencies.

Matt O.

Old October 28th 03, 04:53 AM
David Reuteler

Matt O'Toole wrote:
: It may work, but an allen head is not as strong as regular wrench flats. Pedals
: can be hard to break loose, and there's a good chance the allen head will strip.
: So use the stronger, 15mm wrench flats, and leave the 6mm allen for emergencies.

grrrr..

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
-or-
http://tinyurl.com/smse

i've not been happy with Time for this.
--
david reuteler

Old October 28th 03, 05:15 AM
Dan Daniel

On 28 Oct 2003 03:53:20 GMT, David Reuteler wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:
: It may work, but an allen head is not as strong as regular wrench flats. Pedals
: can be hard to break loose, and there's a good chance the allen head will strip.
: So use the stronger, 15mm wrench flats, and leave the 6mm allen for emergencies.

grrrr..

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
-or-
http://tinyurl.com/smse

i've not been happy with Time for this.

As someone mentions in that thread you reference, you don't need to
use a lot of torque installing pedals. I have never rounded out an
allen-head stem bolt, which usually takes more force than a pedal. And
when I have used an allen on pedals, I had no worries about rounding
out the hole.

Still, allen bolts will be more sensitive to any tolerance problems. A
slightly loose opening and/or a slightly small wrench.... I'd agree
with Matt that flats are safer- more forgiving. But I wouldn't avoid
allen bolts; just recognize the possible problem. With pedals, be
certain to grease the threads.
Old October 28th 03, 05:39 AM
David Reuteler

Dan Daniel wrote:
: As someone mentions in that thread you reference, you don't need to
: use a lot of torque installing pedals. I have never rounded out an
: allen-head stem bolt, which usually takes more force than a pedal. And
: when I have used an allen on pedals, I had no worries about rounding
: out the hole.

my complaint with time is ..

... why?

there's no reason for this. most of the time i don't have trouble. but
most noteably on bikes i've come across used i have had CONSIDERABLE
difficulty getting them off.

probably not everyone knows you don't need to use a lot of torque. maybe
some don't know about grease. i'd prefer the bike not have time pedals
when that happens.

or maybe i'll get a meter long 6mm allen wrench and give it a whirl. who
knows?
--
david reuteler