Installing rear wheel without dropping chain

Old January 5th 16, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Installing rear wheel without dropping chain

Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

--
Joe Riel

Old January 5th 16, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/4/2016 6:09 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

I guess I've never worried about it. I'm usually able to get the chain
to re-mount itself by turning the cranks and upshifting the front
derailleur.

But have you tried placing the chain on chainwheel #2 ahead of time (the
smaller of 2 chainwheels or the middle one of 3 chainwheels), then
jamming the front derailleur up against it by attempting an upshift
while the cranks are stationary? I'm just speculating, but it seems
that might hold it in place.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 5th 16, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 15:09:29 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

I guess(tm) that it could be solved by securing the chain to the
chainwheel. I wire ties for most everything of the sort:
http://g01.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1DKrLHpXXXXcMXVXXq6xXFXXXg/pvc-coated-garden-twist-tie-wire-in.jpg
The local dollar store has these for ummm... $1.00. Secure the chain
to the chainwheel at one point, and see if that helps. If replacing
the rear wheel causes the chainwheel to rotate backwards, then I
guess(tm) securing the chain near the bottom of the chainwheel would
be best. When done, throw away the greasy wire tie.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this. No warranty expressed or implied.
If it doesn't work, I'll deny ever having suggested it. Not
responsible for any fatalities resulting from failing to follow my
instructions. Etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 5th 16, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 6:09:32 PM UTC-5, JoeRiel wrote:
Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

--
Joe Riel

You need to watch "AMERICAN FLYERS" or at least the racing scene in it where Rae Dawn Jong changes Marcus' (Kevin Costner) rear wheel in 10 SECONDs without him getting off the bike or her getting her hands dirty.

Cheers
Old January 5th 16, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 6:09:32 PM UTC-5, JoeRiel wrote:
Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

--
Joe Riel

You need to watch "AMERICAN FLYERS" or at least the racing scene in it where Rae Dawn Jong changes Marcus' (Kevin Costner) rear wheel in 10 SECONDs without him getting off the bike or her getting her hands dirty.

That's a different situation. The rider prevents the crank from turning
backwards, so the chain doesn't come off. Doing this solo, I don't know
an effective, simple way to prevent the crank from turning backwards.

--
Joe Riel
Old January 5th 16, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

That might work. I'll try it next time. Two flats already this year,
but both were in the garage, so cannot complain too much.

--
Joe Riel
Old January 5th 16, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 15:09:29 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

Probably not. But there are bikes that have a "chain hitch", a small
lug brazed on the R.H. Seat Tube that holds the top run of the chain
up above the cassette. But that doesn't alleviate the need to twist
the oily derailer back away from the cassette.

Which may be the reason that cyclists wear black shorts. The grease
marks where you wipe your hands doesn't show :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 5th 16, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 05/01/16 17:29, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 15:09:29 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

Probably not. But there are bikes that have a "chain hitch", a small
lug brazed on the R.H. Seat Tube that holds the top run of the chain
up above the cassette. But that doesn't alleviate the need to twist
the oily derailer back away from the cassette.

My bike has a "chain hitch" brazed on to the chain stay. You shift to
the smallest sprocket at the rear before dropping the wheel out and the
chain is "hitched". To re-install the rear wheel, push the body of the
derailleur backward, move the wheel in so the chain is aligned with the
smallest sprocket and lower the bike on to the wheel so that the chain
is lifted from the "hitch" and the axle is positioned in the drop outs.
No grease or oil on the fingers.

Which may be the reason that cyclists wear black shorts. The grease
marks where you wipe your hands doesn't show :-)

My shorts are not black, and grass is usually available to wipe hands on
if they become dirty.

--
JS
Old January 5th 16, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 12:09:32 AM UTC+1, JoeRiel wrote:
Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

--
Joe Riel

Put the chain before you remove the wheel on the big chainring and smallest cog and keep the bike straight. Pull back the RD when reinstalling the wheel.

Lou
Old January 5th 16, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/5/2016 2:29 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 15:09:29 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

Probably not. But there are bikes that have a "chain hitch", a small
lug brazed on the R.H. Seat Tube that holds the top run of the chain
up above the cassette. But that doesn't alleviate the need to twist
the oily derailer back away from the cassette.

Which may be the reason that cyclists wear black shorts. The grease

Those of us who use wax-based lubes don't have oily chains or derailleurs.

My chains aren't perfectly clean, but if I do have to handle it, I
usually end up with just a tiny smudge on my fingertips.

--
- Frank Krygowski