Voiding the warranty -- Dyno Redux

Old January 12th 20, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Voiding the warranty -- Dyno Redux

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 3:00:50 AM UTC-6, Sepp Ruf wrote:
wrote:

Above is a Shimano dynohub and Mavic rim for $115. This company also
sells a Busch Mueller IQ light with 100 lux for $72. So for $200
delivered probably, you would have a better dynamo light than I used on
Paris Brest Paris 2007 during the pouring rain.

But but but yours was just French Atlantic rain, not the much tougher
American Pacific one!

Well, it was 50, or 51, or maybe 52 degrees during the very cold and rainy PBP 2007. I suspect it has never gotten that cold along the Pacific coast in the entire history we have been keeping temperature records. Now I realize temperatures do not affect the amount of light generated by the dynohub.. But when your teeth are chattering and hands and body are shivering due to the cold, it might affect things.
Old January 12th 20, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

Above is a Shimano dynohub and Mavic rim for $115. This company also
sells a Busch Mueller IQ light with 100 lux for $72. So for $200
delivered probably, you would have a better dynamo light than I used on
Paris Brest Paris 2007 during the pouring rain.

But but but yours was just French Atlantic rain, not the much tougher
American Pacific one!

Well, it was 50, or 51, or maybe 52 degrees during the very cold and rainy PBP 2007. I suspect it has never gotten that cold along the Pacific coast in the entire history we have been keeping temperature records. Now I realize temperatures do not affect the amount of light generated by the dynohub. But when your teeth are chattering and hands and body are shivering due to the cold, it might affect things.

I wonder if really cold temperatures of 0F affects a dynamo-hub output. I do know that it can affect the run time of a battery powered light and do so drastically which is why I only buy lights with an external battery pack that i can keep warm under my jacket whilst riding in winter when it gets quite cold.

Cheers
Old January 12th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/12/2020 1:26 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I wonder if really cold temperatures of 0F affects a dynamo-hub output.

It doesn't. Or more precisely, it makes only negligible difference, very
close to zero difference. I've certainly seen no change.

If it did cause any change at all, I suspect it would be to slightly
raise the output. Resistance of wiring tends to increase with
temperature, so it should decrease in colder weather. Less resistance,
more power.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 12th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

Above is a Shimano dynohub and Mavic rim for $115. This company also
sells a Busch Mueller IQ light with 100 lux for $72. So for $200
delivered probably, you would have a better dynamo light than I used on
Paris Brest Paris 2007 during the pouring rain.

But but but yours was just French Atlantic rain, not the much tougher
American Pacific one!

Well, it was 50, or 51, or maybe 52 degrees during the very cold and rainy PBP 2007. I suspect it has never gotten that cold along the Pacific coast in the entire history we have been keeping temperature records.

The Pacific coast is rather long. Right now it's 43F in Salem, Oregon
as I write this. We're a bit inland, but Seaside, on the coast, is
forecast to get down to 36F tonight.

Thinking California? Crescent City, on the extreme N coast, forecast 42
tonight.
Santa Barbara, on the south-central CA coast, forecast 42 tonight.
San Diego, at the south end on the coast, forecast 45F Tuesday night.

When I lived in So Cal, ISTR an April/May double century where the temp
never got over 55F, and I'll admit we dubbed that ride "The Tour of the
Frozen Coast," but we knew then that it was hyperbole.

Mark J.
Old January 12th 20, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Above is a Shimano dynohub and Mavic rim for $115. This company also
sells a Busch Mueller IQ light with 100 lux for $72. So for $200
delivered probably, you would have a better dynamo light than I used on
Paris Brest Paris 2007 during the pouring rain.

But but but yours was just French Atlantic rain, not the much tougher
American Pacific one!

Well, it was 50, or 51, or maybe 52 degrees during the very cold and rainy PBP 2007. I suspect it has never gotten that cold along the Pacific coast in the entire history we have been keeping temperature records. Now I realize temperatures do not affect the amount of light generated by the dynohub. But when your teeth are chattering and hands and body are shivering due to the cold, it might affect things.

Quoi? Snow is forecast for Portland this week, although Portland is not officially on the coast.

I did a 100 mile ride from my house to the top of Larch Mountain six or seven years ago in early spring, all of it was in heavy rain with snow at the top. The descent was the worst day of my life. I was soaked to the bone, and was shivering so hard on the descent I could barely hold the bars. I was doing that squinty-eyed, losing consciousness thing. It's a 15 mile moderate descent with just a few rollers at the bottom, and I had to stop periodically to shake out cramps and try to warm up a little. Some guy did a tedious video of the whole descent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yotPXCgnltE It's a pretty road -- a nice low angle climb and descent. The snow sticks around for a long time, though, and dressing right is practically impossible in spring time. I was with some friends on that ride, and half of them bailed out and called their wives while warming over a floor vent at the Corbett Store. https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...2-largejpg.jpg I had a life-affirming corn dog and some coffee and rode back to Portland with my neighbor and best biking buddy (and the guy who crashed me two weeks ago). We're going out for a rain ride later today.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 13th 20, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/11/2020 1:00 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

snip

..[deleted for consumer
protection]/en/buy/shimano-custom-made-28-shimano-dh-3n72-hub-dynamo-mavic-a-319-front-wheel-893080

There are many places in Europe selling dynamo wheels for fairly cheap.

Absolutely, one just needs to check their overall reputation
(bike-component's and bike24's being better than the place you linked),
their build quality and for shipping costs stepping up due to wheel size.

Yes, for a utility bicycle, a low-end wheel with a low-end Shimano Nexus
dynamo hub can be found for around $100 including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?x=0&y=0&_sasl=wheelson_shop&_saslop=1&_fss= 1&_pgn=1&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_adv=0&LH_TitleDesc=1 &_nkw=dymano

For a mid-range wheel, with an SP dynamo, it's a lot more. In the U.S.
these would be custom made wheels and you'd expect to pay retail prices
for the hub, spokes, and rim, plus labor, and you'd be at least at $400.
An SP-8 dynamo is $135 alone.

To convince the average commuter to spend that much on a wheel, then
another $130-175 or on a Supernova E3 Pro 2 or Son Edelux II or -
Herrmans H-Black PRO, is unlikely──which is why dynamo lights are not
popular in the U.S..

Personally, we have four bicycles in our fleet with dynamo lights, and
three are mine. Trying to convince others to spend that much money is
unlikely. Not many people are going to go buy a dynamo hub fro $125,
spokes for about 50¢ each, 28-46 spokes, and lace-up their existing rim
to a dynamo hub.

Old January 15th 20, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 11/1/20 10:20 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/10/2020 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:

The tight points are more commonly under the caliper(s) and between
the chainstays rather than the inside of the fork.

I agree, but the bike that triggered this concern (when we were helping
our friend shop) was limited at the front fork. It may have had the same
limitation at the chainstays, but I don't think I bothered checking,
since the fork disqualified the bike.

The forks I have on my road bike are very tight at the crown. Not in
height but width. I can easily fit 23mm tyres, but 25mm would risk
wearing away at the fork crown if it was not very true.

Disclaimer: I bought the forks online and didn't realise how tight they
would be.

However, I've managed pretty well. I don't get pinch flats, and even on
the relatively rough roads here I run 90 PSI for a little more comfort.

Most of the bitumen roads are ok, but there are short sections here and
there where there is a mine field of potholes and patches. So long as I
don't hit a pothole, I'm fine.

--
JS
Old January 15th 20, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 11/1/20 10:15 am, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 09:45:00 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/10/2020 8:25 AM, sms wrote:
On 1/9/2020 3:22 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

There's probably a dynohub system coming for my daughter's birthday.
Her 800-lumen LiIon light, like her telephone, is usually discharged
when most needed.

Then you'll want to include a dyno-powered phone charger. She won't be
able to run the light and the phone charger at the same time, but at
least she can charge her phone in the daytime.

https://www.cycle2charge.de/index.php/en/component/jshopping/product/view/1/3.html?Itemid=0.
About US$2 worth of components inside, but a bargain compared to some
other similar products at 3x the cost.

I don't have need for a phone charger as I ride, but I've seen plans for
simple homebuilt ones. If that's really a concern for people, perhaps
someone could post a link to a suitable circuit.

If the phone running out of juice during a ride the cheapest and
easiest solution would be to simply carry a battery. the shops here
are full of "power packs" that you can plug into your phone to prolong
life :-)

On the other hand, based on the number of disparaging posts I've read
here about people using their phone while driving perhaps the best
solution would be simply to discourage the use of phones while riding.

If I was to go on a bicycle touring trip I would consider a solar panel
charging solution. 10 - 20W is a lot more than 3, and will keep
charging after you stop, so long as the sun shines.

--
JS

Dyno Hub Question jbeattie Techniques 387 October 14th 14 06:47 PM
Dyno Light jbeattie Techniques 34 October 6th 14 10:06 AM
Dyno with USB outlet? Duncan Smith UK 21 March 1st 08 02:24 PM
Bc Tire Review: Dyno Fireball Evan Byrne Unicycling 34 December 26th 05 10:26 PM
questions on the dyno fireball 24"x3.0 dubmuni2004 Unicycling 7 April 4th 04 05:59 AM