Friction Shifting 10 sp

Old March 2nd 05, 10:33 PM
Paul Kopit

Default Friction Shifting 10 sp

I am building up a traditional steel frame and I am thinking of using
downtube shifters in friction mode with double cranks. I never had
problems shifting 7sp or 8sp cassettes with friction shifting. I was
wondering if anyone had experince with 10 sp. My concern is the the
distance between cogs is smaller and maybe the precision is too great
for friction shifting.

If I have to go to indexed shifting, I'll just install the Ergo that I
already have. It's about style and not being practical. I'm not
planning on any gear combinations that won't shift with brifters.

Old March 3rd 05, 12:46 AM

I tried friction shifting Campy 9 speed, but found it infuriatingly
difficult. I was using Shimano Ultegra DT shifters.

You can make Campy downtube levers. Just buy their "barend" levers and
a kit with the extra bits that you need to mount them on the downtube.
I think Le Tour do the kit.

I've got nice Campy 9 speed indexed downtube levers, which work a
treat, and are ultra-reliable. One of these days I'll buy the indexing
ring to go to 10 speed.

Regards,

Suzy

Old March 3rd 05, 01:28 AM
rsquared

"Paul Kopit" wrote in message
I am building up a traditional steel frame and I am thinking of using
downtube shifters in friction mode with double cranks. I never had
problems shifting 7sp or 8sp cassettes with friction shifting. I was
wondering if anyone had experince with 10 sp. My concern is the the
distance between cogs is smaller and maybe the precision is too great
for friction shifting.

If I have to go to indexed shifting, I'll just install the Ergo that I
already have. It's about style and not being practical. I'm not
planning on any gear combinations that won't shift with brifters.

These factors may not pertain to your situation, but... I prefer friction
because I have a 60cm frame, with shifters on the ends of aerobars. The
cable run is so long that it is difficult to keep indexing precise.

rsquared

Old March 3rd 05, 02:10 AM
Gary Jacobson

Please let us know how it goes. I'm interested in doing the same, but would
love to hear your experience.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old March 3rd 05, 03:25 AM
A Muzi

Paul Kopit wrote:
I am building up a traditional steel frame and I am thinking of using
downtube shifters in friction mode with double cranks. I never had
problems shifting 7sp or 8sp cassettes with friction shifting. I was
wondering if anyone had experince with 10 sp. My concern is the the
distance between cogs is smaller and maybe the precision is too great
for friction shifting.

If I have to go to indexed shifting, I'll just install the Ergo that I
already have. It's about style and not being practical. I'm not
planning on any gear combinations that won't shift with brifters.

Some riders note that it's a finer adjustment between cogs.
Not a big deal IMHO.
p.s. not all shifters can span the necessary throw for Ten.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 3rd 05, 12:48 PM
David Damerell

begin quoting rsquared :
These factors may not pertain to your situation, but... I prefer friction
because I have a 60cm frame, with shifters on the ends of aerobars. The
cable run is so long that it is difficult to keep indexing precise.

That's odd, because indexed shifting works OK on tandems.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Mania, March.
Old March 3rd 05, 01:05 PM
Mark Hickey

David Damerell wrote:

begin quoting rsquared :
These factors may not pertain to your situation, but... I prefer friction
because I have a 60cm frame, with shifters on the ends of aerobars. The
cable run is so long that it is difficult to keep indexing precise.

That's odd, because indexed shifting works OK on tandems.

A tandem has essentially the same shifting system cable friction as a
half bike - my TT bike OTOH, has a lot more cable housing than either
of my tandems, and doesn't shift as well as a result (not "bad", just
not "as well").

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 3rd 05, 02:11 PM
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo

Paul Kopit wrote:
I am building up a traditional steel frame and I am thinking of using
downtube shifters in friction mode with double cranks. I never had
problems shifting 7sp or 8sp cassettes with friction shifting. I was
wondering if anyone had experince with 10 sp. My concern is the the
distance between cogs is smaller and maybe the precision is too great
for friction shifting.

If I have to go to indexed shifting, I'll just install the Ergo that I
already have. It's about style and not being practical. I'm not
planning on any gear combinations that won't shift with brifters.

Why not get a old style freewheel hub and use a freewheel??

!0s and frction is tough since everything is so close together.

Old March 3rd 05, 02:25 PM
Andrew Karre

I am running a DA 9 cassette (similar spacing to Campy 10) with a
Suntour Sprint rear derailleur, a Superbe Pro front derailleur, and
Campy NR/SR shifters (which pull just enough cable). Works well for me.
Personally, I like the shifting better than with wider spaced
freewheels. The Hyperglide cassette makes shifts very quiet. Yes, you
do have to be fairly precise in your shifts (which is why I'm replacing
the Campy shifters with Rivendell Silver power-ratchet type models),
but I got used to it quite quickly and I don't race this bike. When
the DA 9 cassette wears out, I will set this bike up with a 10-speed
cassette like my other bike. I expect it will work fine.

I understand this system might not work so well with a modern Shimano
derailleur with a floating pulley, but I don't know this from
experience-just heard it somewhere.

Andrew Karre

Paul Kopit wrote:
I am building up a traditional steel frame and I am thinking of using
downtube shifters in friction mode with double cranks. I never had
problems shifting 7sp or 8sp cassettes with friction shifting. I was
wondering if anyone had experince with 10 sp. My concern is the the
distance between cogs is smaller and maybe the precision is too great
for friction shifting.

If I have to go to indexed shifting, I'll just install the Ergo that

already have. It's about style and not being practical. I'm not
planning on any gear combinations that won't shift with brifters.

Convert Index to friction shifting Kak61 Techniques 3 November 4th 04 09:22 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Friction shifting Vs Index Fx199 General 41 October 5th 04 05:20 AM
Index shifting for dummies janet k Techniques 10 May 22nd 04 04:38 AM
Uncrisp shifting terrapin Techniques 3 August 21st 03 11:51 PM