stem-mounted lights?

Old April 1st 07, 07:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default stem-mounted lights?

I need a commuting light that attaches to a fat tube, parallel to the
direction of travel (ie. not perpendicular from the handlebars, as
most lights seem to attach). Is there such a product?

thanks,
Charlie

Old April 1st 07, 09:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

wrote:
I need a commuting light that attaches to a fat tube, parallel to the
direction of travel (ie. not perpendicular from the handlebars, as
most lights seem to attach). Is there such a product?

thanks,
Charlie

Not sure exactly what you need but I like the cateye HL-EL410
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/341
This has three LEDs and is bright enough for riding where
there is some ambient light, eg street lights. It's more for
being seen than seeing.

It's big advantage is the mounting system. It uses a rubber
strap with a buckle and once mounted, the light can swivel
on it's base. It'll mount on anything you can get the strap
around.

Cheers,
DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.
Old April 1st 07, 11:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 31 Mar 2007 23:24:28 -0700
wrote:
I need a commuting light that attaches to a fat tube, parallel to the
direction of travel (ie. not perpendicular from the handlebars, as
most lights seem to attach). Is there such a product?

Try the terracycle mount. Mounts anything to anything really

http://www.terracycle.com/ in the Accessory Mounts section (as the
URL for the mount is too long). Not sure how fat a tube it will take,
but email them with the info, never know your luck.

Zebee
Old April 1st 07, 01:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Apr 1, 4:24 pm, wrote:
I need a commuting light that attaches to a fat tube, parallel to the
direction of travel (ie. not perpendicular from the handlebars, as
most lights seem to attach). Is there such a product?

I feel your pain. I've had some success with S-Sun 3 led lights,
using a rear light mount and a front light The rear mount will fit
around most stems, it's designed to go on a seatpost, but will work on
a stem.

I'm not the biggest fan of the S-Sun lights, but they can be made to
fit this way and I used this setup for a year or so. Just carry a
spare light when you use them, they're not very reliable, IME.

Old April 2nd 07, 01:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

Charlie wrote:
I need a commuting light that attaches to a fat tube, parallel to the
direction of travel (ie. not perpendicular from the handlebars, as
most lights seem to attach). Is there such a product?

How 'fat' is the tube?

Maybe you need a Minoura Space Grip
http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html

They can be fitted to a normal handlebar, or the base can be rotated 90
degrees to fit to a stem extension. The strap can be set to take a range of
different stem/handlebar widths, but maybe not a 2" tube.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old April 2nd 07, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2007-04-01, DeF wrote:
Not sure exactly what you need but I like the cateye HL-EL410
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/341
This has three LEDs and is bright enough for riding where
there is some ambient light, eg street lights. It's more for
being seen than seeing.

I've got one of these mounted on the stem - works fine.

--
John
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were
Old April 2nd 07, 11:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle

wrote:
I need a commuting light that attaches to a fat tube, parallel to the
direction of travel (ie. not perpendicular from the handlebars, as
most lights seem to attach). Is there such a product?

Try the terracycle mount. Mounts anything to anything really

http://www.terracycle.com/in the Accessory Mounts section (as the
URL for the mount is too long). Not sure how fat a tube it will take,
but email them with the info, never know your luck.

Zebee

thanks for the advice everyone! The terracycle mount is absolutely
perfect for what I need - several photos on the site of lights being
mounted on the forward boom, as I need to do. I probably will get one
of those beauties. BTW the cruzbike is going great! I love it --
never thought I'd be able to afford a recumbent, until I found the
$500 conversion kit. The pedal-steer effect was a bit annoying at
first, but I've adapted so that now I don't even notice it.

I also am looking at that cateye el410 ... though a LBS guy thinks one
of the Shimano Pro LED lights they are bringing in this week has a
swivel mount too. It is only $30, so we will see.

cheers,
Charlie

ps. thanks for the slick tyre advice. I ended up going for the
Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3, which nicely enough my LBS can get
in for as cheap as any of the online stores.

Old April 5th 07, 12:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Apr 3, 6:11 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on 2 Apr 2007 03:17:44 -0700

wrote:

thanks for the advice everyone! The terracycle mount is absolutely
perfect for what I need - several photos on the site of lights being
mounted on the forward boom, as I need to do. I probably will get one
of those beauties. BTW the cruzbike is going great! I love it --
never thought I'd be able to afford a recumbent, until I found the
$500 conversion kit. The pedal-steer effect was a bit annoying at
first, but I've adapted so that now I don't even notice it.

How easy was it to make?

I'm an inexperienced bike tinkerer, so it took me a few days to figure
it all out. But the yahoo Cruzbike group provided some great advice
when I got stuck - it was all pretty simple, actually.

What donor bike did you use?

I used a KHS soft-tail mtb. The main thing is find a donor with a
fairly low top-tube, to avoid the rear-end flying up on application of
front brakes (and this hasn't been any problem for me at all).

There was a slow & wobbly learning period, while I was getting used to
this new way of balancing, and of the intermingling of propulsion and
steering. That was a bit offputting, but I'm doing really well now
though -- I absolutely love going bent!

Definitely the best $500 I could have ever spent on my bike.

I've been wondering about one of those, I've seen one around Sydney
but didn't get a chance to talk to the rider.

Zebee