dynamo lights with switches and bottle dynamo/generators

Old September 17th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_4_]

Default dynamo lights with switches and bottle dynamo/generators

Hi all,

I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a light with a switch?

My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in the hub
dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the case? Couldn't I by
a switchable light and just leave it in the on position with my bottle
dynamo? If not, why not?

Thanks
Old September 17th 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ru4linux2

On Sep 17, 7:17*am, Keiron wrote:
Hi all,

I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a light with a switch?

My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in the hub
dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the case? Couldn't I by
a switchable light and just leave it in the on position with my bottle
dynamo? If not, why not?

Thanks

I have done something like this.

I bought a '3 - way' switch and had a couple of AA batteries, set up
so that when I needed to stop, I could flip the switch from the
generator position to the battery position and, therefore, still be
adequately visible.

Lewis.

*****
Old September 17th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Keiron" wrote in message
Hi all,

I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a light with a switch?

My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in the hub
dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the case? Couldn't I by
a switchable light and just leave it in the on position with my bottle
dynamo? If not, why not?

You can, no problem. Cheaper without the switch normally, though if you're
planning a hub upgrade at some point that's not relevant.

Old September 17th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Keiron wrote:
I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a light with a
switch?

Yes.

My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in
the hub dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the
case?

A switch is an extra feature adding cost, since the bottle dynamo
itself already is a switch to activate light.

Couldn't I by a switchable light and just leave it in the on
position with my bottle dynamo?

You can.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old September 17th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_4_]

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:56:03 +0100, Clive George wrote:

"Keiron" wrote in message
Hi all,

I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a light with a
switch?

My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in the
hub dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the case?
Couldn't I by a switchable light and just leave it in the on position
with my bottle dynamo? If not, why not?

You can, no problem. Cheaper without the switch normally, though if
you're planning a hub upgrade at some point that's not relevant.

Reassuringly simple answer, thanks. Yes, could see there's a premium on
the switchable models but also from what I read that they were only
suitable for hub dynamos for some reason. Gladly not as I've been gifted
one. Can you tell me if non-switchable models can be used with the hub
generator then? Again, I don't see why not but ..... Obviously the light
would always be on but no other reason?
Old September 17th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_4_]

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:48:16 +0000, Helmut Springer wrote:

Keiron wrote:
I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a light with a
switch?

Yes.

My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in the
hub dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the case?

A switch is an extra feature adding cost, since the bottle dynamo itself
already is a switch to activate light.

Couldn't I by a switchable light and just leave it in the on position
with my bottle dynamo?

You can.

Cheers Helmut (Where do you stand on the Helmut, erm helmet debate?),

Do you know if it's true the other way round? i.e. non-switchable models
on hub generators? Obviously light is always on but there's no other
current regulator or other electronic device built in to these switches?
Old September 17th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Keiron" wrote in message

Reassuringly simple answer, thanks. Yes, could see there's a premium on
the switchable models but also from what I read that they were only
suitable for hub dynamos for some reason. Gladly not as I've been gifted
one. Can you tell me if non-switchable models can be used with the hub
generator then? Again, I don't see why not but ..... Obviously the light
would always be on but no other reason?

Well, if it was a filament lamp, bumb life may be an issue, and people might
be put off by the slight increase in drag, but that's minimal, so there's no
real other reason.

Old September 17th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Keiron wrote:
Cheers Helmut (Where do you stand on the Helmut, erm helmet debate?),

Having both a physics and risk mgmt background I'm not wearing one.

Do you know if it's true the other way round? i.e. non-switchable
models on hub generators?

You will have the lights always on. The typical average lifetime of
a halogen bulb is about 100h, for smooth roads, which is little.
Unless you are running an LED based headlight with thousands of
hours average lifetime it is a good idea to have a switch...

Obviously light is always on but there's no other current
regulator or other electronic device built in to these switches?

For LED based lights you have electronics anyway, the switch
typically is just a switch.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old September 17th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Keiron schreef:
Hi all,

I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a light with a switch?

Of course you can.

My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in the hub
dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the case?

Because otherwise the light will always be on.
In the case of a bottle dynamo you switch the light by putting the
bottle on the tire.

Couldn't I by
a switchable light and just leave it in the on position with my bottle
dynamo?

Yes or you can leave the bottle dynamo on the tire and switch the light
with the light switch. ;-)

Lou
Old September 17th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Keiron wrote:
I want to know if you can use a bottle dynamo with a

light with a switch?
My guess is no given that the switchable examples are usually in the hub
dynamo section but I don't understand why this is the case? Couldn't I by
a switchable light and just leave it in the on position with my bottle
dynamo? If not, why not?

Yes, but just flipping the dynamo off the tire is the usual
method. Quieter, which may be a feature. No technical
difference between switching off the power or interrupting
it. For that matter, no reason to turn a dynamo lamp off at
all (mine are 'always on').

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo Mark T[_2_] UK 18 January 24th 08 07:51 PM
Hub or Bottle dynamo? Agzee UK 53 August 15th 07 07:53 AM
AXA HR bottle dynamo connector charles UK 6 August 3rd 07 09:23 PM
bottle dynamo recommendation Ric UK 17 December 15th 03 10:22 AM
Bottle dynamo noise Colin Blackburn UK 11 November 10th 03 08:14 PM