The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

Old April 16th 11, 04:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

On 4/13/2011 6:05 AM, ATP wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
[...]
Seems that ALL of those delivery riders do it on a day to day basis.
And I am sure that they have their problems. But, if it's as bad as
YOU say it is, businesses like that wouldn't last long....

I just joined the thread. I'm not sure how bad it is, but those businesses
can keep on going as long as there are young men willing to be messengers.

The real enemies of the bicycle messenger business are scanners, PDFs,
electronic signatures, and email.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 16th 11, 05:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
ATP

"Tºm ShermªnT °_°" " wrote in
message ...
On 4/13/2011 6:05 AM, ATP wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
[...]
Seems that ALL of those delivery riders do it on a day to day basis.
And I am sure that they have their problems. But, if it's as bad as
YOU say it is, businesses like that wouldn't last long....

I just joined the thread. I'm not sure how bad it is, but those
businesses
can keep on going as long as there are young men willing to be
messengers.

The real enemies of the bicycle messenger business are scanners, PDFs,
electronic signatures, and email.

True, although a few things will still have to be delivered by hand. I was
just thinking that accidents aren't such a problem for the companies if the
messengers work as independent contractors and can be replaced. The
companies don't bear the cost of the accidents as I doubt many (if any) are
regular employees with worker's comp.

Old April 17th 11, 02:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

On Apr 16, 11:11*am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 4/13/2011 6:05 AM, ATP wrote:

"Harry *wrote in message
.. .
[...]
Seems that ALL of those delivery riders do it on a day to day basis.
And I am sure that they have their problems. *But, if it's as bad as
YOU say it is, businesses like that *wouldn't last long....

I just joined the thread. I'm not sure how bad it is, but those businesses
can keep on going as long as there are young men willing to be messengers.

The real enemies of the bicycle messenger business are scanners, PDFs,
electronic signatures, and email.

How about if you want to deliver some pot on time?

I learned that from Quicksilver.
Old April 19th 11, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling
Jym Dyer

Default The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling Newsgroups

Digested-and-Excreted-Banana-For-Brains writes:
Read the comments from *all over the nation* before denying
everything. What is this, false too?

"Last September, in Maryland, Natasha Pettigrew, a Green Party
candidate for U.S. Senate, was training at dawn for a triathlon
when she was fatally struck by a Cadillac Escalade. ..."

=v= I do keep on top of the nation's bicycle news, and I got
word of this from reputable sources last September, when it
happened. Such sources did not attempt to turn this tragedy
into some kind of support for their agenda of spreading fear
about an insane concocted fictional Bermuda Triangle scenario.
(For the record, one data point proves nothing whatsover, hard
as that may be for insane scenario-concocters to comprehend.)

=v= Let me also add that I would never dream of abiding by any
imperative "Read ..." statement from this lunatic, who first
went by the name "Millenium Twain" and is now rotating his
moniker so as to insult Tibetans, primates, beaches, cruisers,
philosophy, majesty, comandantes, and the venerable banana.

=v= I hope to disabuse this character of any delusion that I
bother to read any of his stuff. In fact I usually employ a
convoluted tangle of Lisp to ignore not only his (generally
totally off-topic cross-)postings and any subthread that he
participates in. The downside of this approach is that I have,
over time, stored this nutcase's every Message-ID. Given his
obvious OCD and shear output, it has grown into a *plonk*file
of enormous proportions. I have cleared it out to start anew,
which is why I'm even in this thread.

=v= So in conclusion, go and do likewise, share and enjoy.
_Jym_