No gifts this year?

Old July 22nd 04, 10:04 PM
Jiyang Chen

Default No gifts this year?

After the stage, Armstrong explained why he brought back Klöden's last
kilometre attack with such a concerted effort. "As I stepped up to the
top of the podium, Bernard Hinault met me at the top of the steps and
said 'perfect.' No gifts, no gifts this year. I've given gifts in the
Tour de France and very rarely has it ever come back to help me. And
this is the biggest bike race in the world and it means more than any
bike race in the world and it means more to me than any bike race in the
world. And I wanna win. No gifts."

Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

Old July 22nd 04, 10:19 PM
pauly

Armstrong and Basso are friends.... Also, I think it was more than old
Jan brought Landis back, i.e., pay back.

Old July 22nd 04, 10:25 PM
curt

Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

No he didn't say that, but in hindsight, it looks like he may have out of
kindness. He is a nice guy.

Curt

Old July 22nd 04, 11:30 PM
IMKen

I would have to replay the stage interview but I don't remember LA saying he
gave the finish to Basso. I remember him saying that he was glad Basso won
but I could be wrong. I only remember a few possibly misquoted posts that
mentioned it was a gift.

What were his words?

ken

Old July 22nd 04, 11:35 PM
Rich Clark

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message

Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

The widely cited VeloNews article did not quote Armstrong saying that. It
said "Armstrong said that..."

I have been looking, in vain, for an actual verifyable quote of LA saying he
gave the stage to Basso.

Personally, I think he may have said he chose not to contest it. The
VeloNews writer may have then spun the statement to make it more dramatic.

RichC

Old July 23rd 04, 12:01 AM
TM

"curt" wrote in message news:VgWLc.93$T9.73@trndny05...

Didn't he say he gifted Basso the stage to La Mongie?

No he didn't say that, but in hindsight, it looks like he may have out of
kindness. He is a nice guy.

And our reporters have Lance on tape saying the following:

"It was a pleasure for me to let him win. Ivan deserved it. Perhaps I pulled
a little more but he is in super form. Off the bike, we're working a little
bit with the situation and trying to see if she can win her fight against
cancer. We don't talk about the race but we talk about his mom.... It was
pretty special for me to be out there with him."

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/6605.0.html