"Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

Old July 30th 12, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
James Allen

Default "Disabled" Guy - "pepper sprayed" at 2012

"Tired" wrote in message ...

she should get some recognition there standing up to an angry mob like
that, without the protection of a stab vest or truncheon)

Looks to me like she's holding an ASP at one point?

This video makes me feel quite confused actually, on the one hand I often
find myself looking at videos of the police in situations like this and
thinking they "are" just violent thugs who get off on the power they have,
but OTOH I can't help thinking that these cyclists, especially the so-called
disabled guy and the **** in the green t-shirt who joined him on the bonnet
deserved a good beating.

James

Old July 30th 12, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/07/2012 20:28, Phil W Lee wrote:
GB considered Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:20:24
+0100 the perfect time to write:

What I saw in the video was 3 or possibly 4 policemen/women, surrounded
by a crowd, some of whom were hostile. The police were trying to arrest
a woman who was struggling violently, but they were not using undue
force on her. Then at around 20 seconds in, someone from outside the
camera frame launched a punch at the policeman, and he punched back
again. Then the big bearded guy attacked the policeman from behind, and
someone else from the crowd joined in.

Sounds to me like members of the public were trying to protect a woman
being violently assaulted by out of control police.

I'll go with that.

The video shows no violent assault by the Police. If you saw that,
please give the exact timing, and I'll re-check.

What I did see was members of the public interfering with an arrest.
There is nothing in the video to show that the arrest was unlawful - the
video starts after the arrest had started - so it's sensible to assume
it was lawful. Even if it wasn't, it's pretty cowardly to attack the
policeman from behind.

We already know it was unlawful, as the reason the police gave for it
was.

You do? As a matter of fact or simply in your deluded mind?

Self defence is not a crime, and neither is defending others from
assault.

Obstructing the police is.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old July 30th 12, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Barb Dwyer

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:56:59 -0700, NM drooled

On Jul 30, 10:46Â*am, Judith wrote:
I wonder what his disability is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfftgb4KOlE

27 seconds in

It is interesting how he jumps off his "trike" and then assaults the
police officer.

I reckon it is Doug - Â*it does look like him and it looks like an
electric trike he has got there.

I wonder if anyone will draw this particular footage - and perhaps even
a name - Â*to the attention of the Met?

I'm with the disabled guy, he lost his rag at the policeman being a
bully and reacted, some of these guys are out and out thugs in uniform.

The only thing wrong with that video is that whoever hit the copper
didn't hit him hard or fast enough. Some of these *******s really do need
teaching a lesson.

--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten (c) George Carlin
Old July 30th 12, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Part Timer

On 30/07/2012 18:12, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
On 30/07/2012 16:20, GB wrote:

[...]

Agreed.

I hope they use the video to arrest the lot of them.

Did anyone see the Police Medic ;-)
Who said they didn't exist?
Old July 30th 12, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
NM

On Jul 30, 8:49*pm, The Main Man wrote:
In article 758c7c87-d953-42db-99ba-39aad8409a03
@n33g2000vbi.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jul 30, 1:10 pm, Frederick Williams
wrote:
NM wrote:

I'm with the disabled guy, he lost his rag at the policeman being a
bully and reacted, some of these guys are out and out thugs in uniform.

Disabled people have as much right to be the victims of thugs in uniform
as the rest of us.

--
The animated figures stand
Adorning every public street

I know, I'm disabled and I have exercised my right to be a victim.

Your only disablement is not having a working brain. You don't even know
which bus company provides services to Exeter Airport.

Why don't you display your stupidity, yet again,

Funny how I got recompensed for the full fare isn't it and a written
apology, you bunch of complete ******s were totally wrong yet not a
man amoungst you would admit it.

The blue badge I use on my car was issued because I qualify as
disabled, if you have a problem with that take it up with my doctor.
Now **** off and annoy someone else.
Old July 30th 12, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
NM

On Jul 30, 8:50*pm, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:
[...]

What if they are, as in this case, being over zealous or do you
consider everything the uniformed police do is perfect.

Old July 30th 12, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
GB[_5_]

On 30/07/2012 17:39, thirty-six wrote:
On Jul 30, 5:24 pm, GB wrote:
On 30/07/2012 17:13, thirty-six wrote:

On Jul 30, 4:20 pm, GB wrote:
What I saw in the video was 3 or possibly 4 policemen/women, surrounded
by a crowd, some of whom were hostile. The police were trying to arrest
a woman who was struggling violently, but they were not using undue
force on her. Then at around 20 seconds in, someone from outside the
camera frame launched a punch at the policeman, and he punched back
again. Then the big bearded guy attacked the policeman from behind, and
someone else from the crowd joined in.

Sounds to me like members of the public were trying to protect a woman
being violently assaulted by out of control police.

I'll go with that.

The video shows no violent assault by the Police. If you saw that,
please give the exact timing, and I'll re-check.

What I did see was members of the public interfering with an arrest.
There is nothing in the video to show that the arrest was unlawful - the

I didn't see a relevant insignia, the protest of arrest is excusable
if the constable refused to show his warrant. There was no Met
policeman in attendance so there is no evidence to an onlooker that
the man in fancy dress has any authority. So, did the BTP policeman
show a valid warrant or was he winging it?.

Look, if you are going to be a barrack room lawyer, at least make some
small attempt to check your facts. Wikipedia says:

"Spontaneous requirement outside natural jurisdiction
A BTP constable has the same powers and privileges of a constable of a
territorial police force:[30]
in relation to people whom they suspect on reasonable grounds of having
committed, being in the course of committing or being about to commit an
offence, or
if they believe on reasonable grounds that they need those powers and
privileges in order to save life or to prevent or minimise personal injury.
A BTP constable may only use such powers if he believes on reasonable
grounds that if he cannot do so until he secures the attendance of or a
request from a local constable (as above), the purpose for which he
believes it ought to be exercised will be frustrated or seriously
prejudiced.[30]"

So, according to WP, the BTP officer was rather bravely acting in the
course of his duty. Now, WP is not always right, so no doubt you will
produce chapter and verse showing that WP is wrong.

So, you have a copy of his warrant do you, or are you saying he was
given express permission by an accompanying officer of the
Metropolitan police, clearly seen in attendance? ;-)

Surely, you are capable of reading and understanding that short excerpt
from WP? It says quite clearly that he does not need permission in an
emergency - I've tried to paraphrase it for you using simple words.

Old July 30th 12, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
GB[_5_]

Obstructing the police is.

What if they are, as in this case, being over zealous or do you
consider everything the uniformed police do is perfect.

All I have seen is that single video. There is no evidence there that
the police were being over-zealous. If you have other evidence, what is it?

Old July 30th 12, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
GB[_5_]

On 30/07/2012 22:35, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"GB" wrote in message

What I saw in the video was 3 or possibly 4 policemen/women,
surrounded by a crowd, some of whom were hostile. The police were
trying to arrest a woman who was struggling violently, but they were
not using undue force on her. Then at around 20 seconds in, someone
from outside the camera frame launched a punch at the policeman, and
he punched back again. Then the big bearded guy attacked the policeman
from behind, and someone else from the crowd joined in.

Ditto - a disgraceful scene of mob obstruction and assault upon a lone
officer. If he is making an unlawful arrest in front of a dozen
cameraphones then justice can be obtained later through the proper
channels. The conduct of some of those people was downright criminal,
and represents cyclists as a violent gang. Shame on them.

The only saving grace was that quite a lot of cyclists were clearly not
taking part in the assault on the policeman, and a couple of guys were
actively cooling the situation down.