Old timers - fake gas tank on bikes

Old August 5th 04, 06:16 PM
Badger_South

Default Old timers - fake gas tank on bikes

I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

It caused me to flash back on my red and white Sears&Robuck cruiser bike
(circa 1958), and the two part steel 'bubbles' that were connected by a big
nut and bolt to the top tube and support tube below it that looked just
like a gas tank on a motorcycle. Yep, that was funny to recall. I remember
taking them off and spraypainting the frame black when I started using it
for my paperroute. Bendix brakes, streamers - what a hoot.

-B

Old August 5th 04, 06:42 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Badger_South writes:
I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

And it's not just limited to the '50s:
http://www.rydjor.com/bikecollection/1998hd.htm

There are lots of other interesting blasts from the past
at this site, too.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old August 5th 04, 07:46 PM
the black rose

Badger_South wrote:
I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

It caused me to flash back on my red and white Sears&Robuck cruiser bike
(circa 1958), and the two part steel 'bubbles' that were connected by a big
nut and bolt to the top tube and support tube below it that looked just
like a gas tank on a motorcycle. Yep, that was funny to recall. I remember
taking them off and spraypainting the frame black when I started using it
for my paperroute. Bendix brakes, streamers - what a hoot.

OMG, my brother had one of those. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for
the trip down memory lane!

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 5th 04, 08:39 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:42:36 -0700, (Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
Badger_South writes:
I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

And it's not just limited to the '50s:
http://www.rydjor.com/bikecollection/1998hd.htm

There are lots of other interesting blasts from the past
at this site, too.

cheers,
Tom

A 1998 Harley? Cool. Great pics on that site, thx.

Mine looked a lot like this one, only red&white:

http://www.rydjor.com/bikecollection/1952bfg.htm

But since it was Sears&Roebuck, probably a rebranded Schwinn. Heh, had the
light on the front fended, taking 2 C batteries, IIRC.

Have to admit, it set my 7y.o. heart to racing when I first saw it under
the Christmas Tree back then. ;-)

-B

Old August 6th 04, 12:55 AM
Fx199

Ever see the old bicycles with radios built into them?

Bet they lasted about 5 minutes until the neighborhood bully took it.

http://www.nostalgic.net/database/ListItem.asp?Item=131

http://www.usfamily.net/web/gif/bikefs.htm
Old August 6th 04, 12:58 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:16:15 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:

I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

Mine had a little button on the right side of the tank. Press it, and
a horn blew.
Old August 6th 04, 01:21 AM
Badger_South

wrote:

I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

Mine had a little button on the right side of the tank. Press it, and
a horn blew.

Was looking in my scrapbook today and saw a snap of my -dad- on his bike
when he was a youngster. He's 80 y.o., so that was back in the 1940s.

There had to be 10-16lbs of additional metal, fenders, chain guards, gas
tanks, racks, lights w/batteries. I don't remember mine being particularly
heavy though.

-B

Old August 6th 04, 03:55 AM

Badger_South wrote:

There had to be 10-16lbs of additional metal, fenders, chain guards, gas
tanks, racks, lights w/batteries.

My first bike, which I got used in 1962, had most of the above, plus a
"hood" ornament on the front fender. It was a chrome greyhound, and it
probably added most of a pound to the bike all by itself.
Somewhere around the house, I believe I still have that little pooch.

Bill

Old August 6th 04, 05:07 AM
Bernie

wrote:

I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

Mine had a little button on the right side of the tank. Press it, and
a horn blew.

Was looking in my scrapbook today and saw a snap of my -dad- on his bike
when he was a youngster. He's 80 y.o., so that was back in the 1940s.

There had to be 10-16lbs of additional metal, fenders, chain guards, gas
tanks, racks, lights w/batteries. I don't remember mine being particularly
heavy though.

-B

I remember those big Schwinns. They were tanks compared to the plain
single speed, bendix rear brake bikes we paperboys rode. Our bikes were
heavy, but the balloon tire bikes were just too much. They just weren't
quick enough, and were terrible riding up hill.
It was an elitist thing, I'd guess. Here we were with 'black gaspipe'
CCM's - complete with steel strap newspaper carriers on the front -
sneering at the more expensive and trendy balloon tire gang (guys who
could afford to live without paper routes).
Those were the days, eh?
Bernie

Old August 6th 04, 05:17 AM
AustinMN

Badger_South wrote:
I was reading a blurb in Urban Cycling about the culture in the 50s being
so oriented to automobiles.

One of the things that got a laugh was the mention of how bikes in those
days had fake 'gas tanks' on the bikes.

It caused me to flash back on my red and white Sears&Robuck cruiser bike
(circa 1958), and the two part steel 'bubbles' that were connected by a

big
nut and bolt to the top tube and support tube below it that looked just
like a gas tank on a motorcycle. Yep, that was funny to recall. I remember
taking them off and spraypainting the frame black when I started using it
for my paperroute. Bendix brakes, streamers - what a hoot.

I had one of those in the 60's...it was my first bike. I rode it
everywhere, I raced other kids, and I crashed it more than once. Even went
over the handlebars and broke my jaw on that bike. Rode the bike home after
that.

It had a place inside the "tank" for batteries for the headlight. Batteries
being what they were back then, they leaked after a week or two, and I
remember a stain on the floor of the front porch under my bike where battery
acid dripped. Never got the headlight to work after that.

I got that bike for my birthday. I was sent on a wild goose chase around
the house while they got it out of hiding. I walked right past it twice.
Third time was a charm, though. I thought it was the most wonderful thing
I'd ever seen. (Hey, I was only seven or eight. Girls hadn't entered the
radar yet.) Bright red, with shiny chrome fenders. I was too short, and my
father put blocks on the pedals. I'd never ridden before, but he got me
riding it without the "run and hold on" business (and no training wheels -
ever).

In my mind, that was the best bike ever.

Austin (no recollection about brand, can't be specific about year...it's
been too long)

A long weekend in the Land of Bikes (long, includes some recumbentcontent) Peter Clinch UK 2 February 17th 04 11:35 AM
Selling Spare Bikes Tom Kunich Marketplace 0 January 10th 04 12:16 AM
Bikes on Trains - was Cycle Tracks ad nauseum [Not Responding] UK 40 December 2nd 03 10:05 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences? The Real Slim Shady UK 8 August 13th 03 08:30 PM