what size is my frame tube? (for upgrading derailleur)

Old September 30th 03, 07:58 PM
tsp

Default what size is my frame tube? (for upgrading derailleur)

i want to upgrade my front derailler, and im guessing the "34.9" and "28.6"
size designation refers to the circumference of the tube to which the
derailleur attaches.

i have a 2003 fuji nevada
http://www.fujibikes.com/mountain/bi...ID=14&yr=2003#

also, would a front derailler made for 9speed be compatible with my bike? i
imagine the only differnece is that the cage is slightly wider

Old September 30th 03, 10:56 PM
James Thomson

"tsp" wrote:

i want to upgrade my front derailler, and im guessing the "34.9"
and "28.6" size designation refers to the circumference of the
tube to which the derailleur attaches.

Right. The diameter of the derailleur clamp is often stamped inside the
clamp itself. Yours is probably 31.8mm.

also, would a front derailler made for 9speed be compatible with
my bike?

Yep.

James Thomson

Old October 1st 03, 01:25 AM
Peter Cole

"tsp" wrote in message
i want to upgrade my front derailler, and im guessing the "34.9" and "28.6"
size designation refers to the circumference of the tube to which the
derailleur attaches.

i have a 2003 fuji nevada

http://www.fujibikes.com/mountain/bi...ID=14&yr=2003#

also, would a front derailler made for 9speed be compatible with my bike? i
imagine the only differnece is that the cage is slightly wider

Front derailers are the most commonly returned part according to one mail
order house. Be aware that mountain and road bike derailers are not
compatible. You can usually eyeball the seattube diameter close enough with a
ruler to select one of the available sizes. I have shimmed a too large front
derailer with a bit of plastic, no problem. Most MTB front ders are "top
pull", the cable routes down from the toptube, many/most road bikes are
"bottom pull", again, not compatible. Then there's "top swing" & "bottom
swing", and different clamp styles. Choose carefully, consult pictures. Don't
expect too much from a front derailer "upgrade", it doesn't do much. Front
derailer adjustment is critical, and often quite tricky.