Cyclist on Hill:0, Wall:1

Old April 23rd 19, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cyclist on Hill:0, Wall:1

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 10:23:42 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

They had turned into pedestrians.

Like the trees had turned into stumps!

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...dish01jpeg.jpg
Old April 23rd 19, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 10:23:42 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/04/2019 20:46, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 22:32:51 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

The chevrons, barriers and speed limit have been put there because
there is another very large group of road users that have difficulty
going down hill.

I wonder if this incident was mechanical failure, user error or
something else.

Shimmies are not pleasant experiences.

Agreed.
This car must have thrown a wobbler as it was braking hard for the 20mph zone.

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...eople-died.jpg
Old April 23rd 19, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 23/04/2019 10:56, wrote:

This car must have thrown a wobbler as it was braking hard for the 20mph zone.

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...eople-died.jpg

There have been a few like that nearby over the years. It is a straight
residential road for about half a mile going down at about 1 in 20 and
leading to a slight off camber bend.

It's not that drivers lose control at the bend, I guess they see the
sightline disappear and don't know where to go so they just go straight
on. A house on the bend is set well back on a 5-6ft embankment but has
had a wall rebuilt twice in 25 years. One driver was a drunk woman on
the way to collect children from school and the other was trying out a
car for sale just a few houses away. On another occasion a newly
qualified driver left long skid marks before the bend - suggesting
80mph-ish initial conditions - before destroying the suspension on
hitting the kerb. I expect he had skid marks in his laundry too. After
the house was rebuilt on the second occasion large cast iron bollards
were sunk into the front garden.

The scope for such entertainment has probably reduced recently because
there are more parked cars to form a slalom.
Old April 24th 19, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 1:45:44 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 23/04/2019 10:56, wrote:

This car must have thrown a wobbler as it was braking hard for the 20mph zone.

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...eople-died.jpg

There have been a few like that nearby over the years. It is a straight
residential road for about half a mile going down at about 1 in 20 and
leading to a slight off camber bend.

It's not that drivers lose control at the bend, I guess they see the
sightline disappear and don't know where to go so they just go straight
on.

That is three dead in three days :-(

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...n-dies-2790877
Old April 25th 19, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:

This car must have thrown a wobbler as it was braking hard for the 20mph zone.

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...eople-died.jpg

There have been a few like that nearby over the years. It is a straight
residential road for about half a mile going down at about 1 in 20 and
leading to a slight off camber bend.

It's not that drivers lose control at the bend, I guess they see the
sightline disappear and don't know where to go so they just go straight
on.

That is three dead in three days :-(

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...n-dies-2790877

Oh dear, another "man dies after car..." and "...when the accident
happened". Why can't they bring themselves to say that a driver died
after a display of terminal incompetence? They don't have this problem
when a person on a bike does it.

Don't they teach people to use the brakes before handing out licences?
Old April 25th 19, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 12:24:44 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

Don't they teach people to use the brakes before handing out licences?

Indeed and how does a driver die by hitting a tree by driving at just 20mph as shown in the crash scene photo?

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...eople-died.jpg
Old April 26th 19, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 25/04/2019 11:40, wrote:
On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 12:24:44 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

Don't they teach people to use the brakes before handing out
licences?

Indeed and how does a driver die by hitting a tree by driving at just
20mph as shown in the crash scene photo?

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...eople-died.jpg

Do you remember a poster of several years ago putting forward a crazy
theory that driving at 12mph would not cut casualties?

Old April 26th 19, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 10:23:40 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

Shimmies are not pleasant experiences.

Usually just bracing your knees against the top tube tends to dampen
speed wobble, braking can make it worse. I once got into a massive tank
slapper when I hit an iron cover in a fast curve, but I managed to
avoid the oncoming petrol tanker. Could have been a very different
outcome.

Old April 26th 19, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

TMS320 wrote:

The chevrons, barriers and speed limit have been put there because
there is another very large group of road users that have difficulty
going down hill.

I wonder if this incident was mechanical failure, user error or
something else.

Shimmies are not pleasant experiences.

Neither are wedgies and I suspect Pounder experienced plenty of them at school.
That is why he bullies children with a chisel.
Old April 27th 19, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

TMS320 wrote:

Shimmies are not pleasant experiences.

Usually just bracing your knees against the top tube tends to dampen
speed wobble, braking can make it worse.

Not necessarily. Do anything that takes energy out of the system.

I once got into a massive tank
slapper when I hit an iron cover in a fast curve, but I managed to
avoid the oncoming petrol tanker. Could have been a very different
outcome.

Well, that's my original point.